Wildcats aim to snap their Final 4 dr...

Wildcats aim to snap their Final 4 drought

There are 28 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Oct 22, 2006, titled Wildcats aim to snap their Final 4 drought. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

Tubby Smith wants to get back to the Final Four, and the University of Kentucky coach is aware his fan base feels the same.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cathy kentucky

United States

#21 Nov 18, 2006
Dorris wrote:
Why do all these idiots keep running the best coach in America down every week. Be happy, UK is doing ok with Tubby.
UK IS NOT A TEAM THAT IS USED TO BEING JUST OK WE WANT TO BE THE BEST AND WITH THE FRESHMEN WE GOT WE COULD. BE IF WE HAD THE RIGHT COACH
john

AOL

#22 Nov 24, 2006
Devon when you are UK you know you are going to get other teams best game. That still doesn't mean that it is something new. UK has to get at least one recruit in the top ten and another in the top 20 each year. When Tubby recruits top 50 to 100 players, that is not going to get it done. We may not make the tournament this year. Some of these stupid fans of tubby is still expecting UK to turn it on like they could in the past. Those same fans are probably waiting for gold from heaven to fall on their heads. Let's face it, there are 75 teams in the NCAA that could beat the talent UK has this year.
devon

AOL

#23 Nov 25, 2006
hey john you hit the nail right on the head. tubby is a top 20 coach with a top five school. he can not handle the job. it is to much for him. some people think that the fans who want tubby gone are racist. that because he is black he should not be coaching the elite kentucky wildcats. color is not an issue. the fact that kentucky is elite is an issue. tubby continues to lose top recruits every year and when he has a good recruiting class he does nothing with it. people are saying things that tubby needs to do to be ready for march. what those people are missing is , 1. we may end up with a losing record in the sec this year as there as at least seven teams that can beat us . and 2. there is a strong possibility that kentucky will be watching the big dance from home.
right now kentucky can not compete with the big boys and the mid majors are giving kentucky a hard way to go. what is wrong with this picture folks ? the dukes and north carolinas every year are competing for that one seed , where is kentucky ? when north carolina had a few bad years the coach was terminated. same at indiana. same at ucla. tubby supporters get a grip and grasp that north carolina is about to be announced the winningest team of all time.
Breck

United States

#24 Nov 30, 2006
josh wrote:
Tubby is getting the players, but the players don't wanna work for it, they expect to play when coming in. If you don't play hard, play defense, or not listen to Tubby. He will sit your ass on the bench. Pitino does the same thing. So if people wanna get techincal about it. Pitino can't recurit either. He hasn't recruited since he's been at Louisville. Though people say well they made it to the final four, that's because of the 3 pointers. Louisville is a lucky team and always had been. If it wasn't for the 3 pointers they hit throughout the tournament, they would be sittin at home. Tubby recurits better than Pitino and that's a fact. So if blue chips players like Rhondo wanna play more mintues well then come to practice and do what your told.
This entire quote is one of the weakest arguments I've encountered. To claim that Rick Pitino is unable to recruit is simply absurd. His record in Lexington clearly runs counter to the claim. A full bevy of NBA players not to mention the 1996 national title are clearly due to the efforts of Pitino, and many would argue that Pitino recruits were the major factor in the 1998 title run. Talent consistently flocks to U of L, enough to perpetually challenge the Cats. Do they shoot the longball? Absolutely. Does Pitino recruit pure shooters for the explicit purpose? We all have our favorites. Personally, I'm a Travis Ford fan. This isn't luck--this is Pitino style play. The recruiting style hasn't changed since moving to Louisville--consider Taquan Dean. Thus, while one amy argue that Louisville is a "lucky" team, it is hardly fair to claim that good luck from behind the arc propels them in March. Rather, it is Pitino's skill in recruiting and coaching excellent offensive minded players with solid shooting skills.

Furthermore, declaring Tubby to be a slave driving disciplinarian is inaccurate. Those of us who remember the Pitino era recall punishments doled out by the leader for poor performances. Late night/early morning practices featuring numerous conditioning drills were frequent. Pitino teams played together, and more importantly, won games. Tubby, on the other hand, takes a far softer approach to discipline. As many in this forum have noticed, the Cats often seem to be "sleepwalking" on the court. Tubby's refusal to combat this only grows frustrating. I was encouraged by the recent move versus Charleston in which Tubby pulled all starters. Whether it be through recruiting "character issue" stars or poor coaching, the Cats are a collection of selfish players (notice I did not use the term "team"). Crawford left the team last season over playing time. Tubby accepts him with open arms and a slap on the wrist. Randolph Morris leaves for the NBA after an incredibly mediocre freshmen year. Tubby takes him back with no punshment. Lest we forget about Gerald Fitch's checkered off the court issues. And as for chemistry, the rumors swirling about personal tensions between Patrick Sparks and Rajon Rondo clearly demonstrate Coach Smith's complete ineptitude in creating a coalesced concept of team basketball.

Why does Kentucky continue to underperform? No accountability. Tubby doesn't seem to grasp how hot his seat is in the minds of Big Blue Nation. Rather, if he does, he hides it quite well. Personally, I believe nothing short of Final Four appearance this year will save his title; however, the odds of that at this point seem long.
devon

AOL

#25 Dec 1, 2006
hey breck
amen brother !
hopefully , the brass at kentucky will over come the fear of firing tubby. if anyone else had the job performance like that of tubby , they would be canned in a heart beat. he coaches / recruits like kentucky is a mid major and his continued rebuilding has shown he can not handle this job.
ALABAMAWILDCAT

Birmingham, AL

#26 Feb 6, 2007
I am a strong believer in the Wildcats. Yes we want to win every game, but believe it or not, sometimes losing builds character. When you lose a good close game you realize where you goofed and work on that! I think Coach Tubby is in a very serious stage in his career. I think barely getting to the "dance" last year should have been a wake up call and hopefully, it's time that Kentucky gets back on track to doing what Kentucky does best. B A S K E T B A L L!! From one lover of Kentucky (born there) from Alabama (now here), GOOOOOO WILDCATS!
jason

Bardstown, KY

#27 Feb 6, 2007
breck sorry but i have to disagree in part. there is no way that pitino can attract players to ul like he did at uk. uk being uk had more to do with his sucess than his recruiting skills. tubby just cant sell uks tradition like pitino could.
devon

Cincinnati, OH

#28 Feb 7, 2007
hey alabama wildcat
wake up call? get back on track ? what are you saying there my friend ????, tubby does not have the team to compete against the big boys and once again if we make the dance , it will not be for long. how many years does it take for these excuses to become old? wake up call , back on track , rebuilding etc.... if tubby was at another elite school , he would have been canned a long time ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kentucky Wildcats Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Wildcats invited to Team USA Mini-Camp (Jun '13) Oct '14 FLORIDA SWAMPER 3
News Kentucky Wildcats Basketball: Julius Randle is ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Ineluctable 1
News No. 5 Rick Pitino (Jan '06) Apr '13 Triple6 Vamp 11,837
News Kentucky Basketball: UK Needs a Go-to Scorer - ... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Yunghooper 1
News NickiSue's View: Players are still Wildcats eve... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Tasteless 1
News Kentucky Basketball: Wildcats a Force to be Rec... (Jan '08) Mar '10 big blue 9
News Sims plans to leave UK (May '06) Jan '10 whodat 3
More from around the web