Good article on Winston Bennett, former U of K player

Posted in the Kentucky Wildcats NCAA Basketball Forum

jbdfan

Louisville, KY

#1 Jan 15, 2008
While on the Joe B and Denny website I read a good article on Winston Bennett that was posted. There is also a good Q and A with Winston.

Here is some of the article. Didn't realize that he was coaching again.

Winston Bennett began his coaching career under Rick Pitino at the University of Kentucky, where UK won the NCAA Championship in 1996 and were runners-up in 1997. Bennett followed coach Pitino to the NBA as an assistant for the Boston Celtics. In 2000, Bennett became head coach at Kentucky State University where he promptly won the 2000-2001 conference championship with the Thoroughbreds. In May of 2007, Winston Bennett was named head coach at Mid-Continent University in Mayfield, Kentucky.

I didn't want to include the entire article because it is long but you can read the rest at the following URL
http://www.joebanddenny.com/ourfriends/wherer...
devon

AOL

#2 Jan 15, 2008
if it wasnt for a couple of personal blunders off the court , winston bennett would be head coach at a division one school by now. the man knows his stuff , he just made some bad decisions in his personal life that cost him. hopefully he will be given another chance because he can coach very well.
richard

Lexington, KY

#3 Jan 15, 2008
Well Devon his main blunder was hitting a player during a practice. Iam actually a senior at mid-continent(we have a branch in Louisville) and i asked a professor why they would hire a coach that had that kind of problem at a Baptist University and he said "Richard if God can forgive then so can we"
devon

AOL

#4 Jan 15, 2008
richard wrote:
Well Devon his main blunder was hitting a player during a practice. Iam actually a senior at mid-continent(we have a branch in Louisville) and i asked a professor why they would hire a coach that had that kind of problem at a Baptist University and he said "Richard if God can forgive then so can we"
that was one mistake he made. my understanding is the kid had it coming but still winston could have handled it differently. he also cheated on his wife with a team employee during his boston celtic days. it created a huge problem and pitino had to remove him from his duties.
richard

Lexington, KY

#5 Jan 16, 2008
I heard he had some sexual problems at Boston. No cut i heard from some U of L fans that part of the problems involved him and Pervis Ellison. I dont think that is true but it shows how rumors can haunt people
devon

AOL

#6 Jan 16, 2008
the sexual issue got him canned. he was on track to becoming a coach every one wanted to interview. then he does that and it set him back years career wise.
richard

Lexington, KY

#7 Jan 16, 2008
hell maybe more Mid-Continent only has 1200 students on campus . it is a very small NAIA school and has only been a team for 3 season i think. Me and a friend at work who also goes there have said next year we will try out since we both still have some eligbility left. Im thinking of asking if we can play like the girls use to 6 on a team 3 offense 3 defense and stop ay mid court other wise the oxygen bill will be out of this world
devon

AOL

#8 Jan 17, 2008
you got to wonder about winston's situation. this is a man who was going for his masters during his senior year at kentucky. now he is coaching NAIA ? what's wrong with this picture .
richard

Lexington, KY

#9 Jan 18, 2008
Well like my Prof said God does forgive but some others arent so quick. He has a long climb to make and he has to start at the very bottom. He might turn this into a D11 head coaching job or a D1 asst job.
devon

AOL

#10 Jan 18, 2008
richard wrote:
Well like my Prof said God does forgive but some others arent so quick. He has a long climb to make and he has to start at the very bottom. He might turn this into a D11 head coaching job or a D1 asst job.
he has the talent , and i hope he makes it.
Michael

San Antonio, TX

#11 Sep 4, 2008
richard wrote:
hell maybe more Mid-Continent only has 1200 students on campus . it is a very small NAIA school and has only been a team for 3 season i think. Me and a friend at work who also goes there have said next year we will try out since we both still have some eligbility left. Im thinking of asking if we can play like the girls use to 6 on a team 3 offense 3 defense and stop ay mid court other wise the oxygen bill will be out of this world
LOL, I played for Bennett and if you are not seriously committed to the task, then you should not waste your time. He is as intense as any person you will know, however your basketball I.Q. will sky rocket if you're up for the challenge.
richard

Louisville, KY

#12 Sep 4, 2008
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, I played for Bennett and if you are not seriously committed to the task, then you should not waste your time. He is as intense as any person you will know, however your basketball I.Q. will sky rocket if you're up for the challenge.
Where did u play for him at?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kentucky Wildcats NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bob Lutz: Perry Ellis a key in Kansas vs. Kentucky Nov '14 virat 1
Old UK WildCat Picture Signed by Adolph F.Rupp+... (Apr '07) Oct '14 Local man 40
Do you hate UK Wildcats, we DO :-) (Apr '11) Oct '14 Geoscientist 50
Former Wildcats invited to Team USA Mini-Camp (Jun '13) Oct '14 FLORIDA SWAMPER 3
Kentucky Basketball: Which Star Freshman Will B... (Jun '13) Sep '13 1FootNDBlues 2
Kentucky Wildcats Basketball: Julius Randle is ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Ineluctable 1
Early 2012-2013 NCAA Basketball Top 10 Rankings (Apr '12) Jul '13 darrell Hayes 6
More from around the web