UMass is best-known visitor

UMass is best-known visitor

There are 12 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Nov 30, 2007, titled UMass is best-known visitor. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

IUPUI's basketball team gathered at coach Ron Hunter's house Wednesday night to watch its next opponent, the University of Massachusetts, play at Syracuse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Go Boilers

Plainfield, IN

#1 Dec 1, 2007
Go Jags I would love to see you guys get a win!!!
IPS graduates 52 percent

West Manchester, OH

#2 Dec 1, 2007
Here's a thought...if you want your "program" to grow....Get something bigger than a high school gym!
Unfortunately

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Dec 1, 2007
IPS graduates 52 percent wrote:
Here's a thought...if you want your "program" to grow....Get something bigger than a high school gym!
it has to grow before you build a multi-million dollar arena. Yeah, I guess they could raise property taxes or sales tax to pay for it, but wouldn't it be nice to actually have the money before you build something?
dave-o

Florence, KY

#4 Dec 1, 2007
could the game be moved to Butler or Conseco Fieldhouse? What about about Southport HS? They have a nice large gym.
IPS graduates 52 percent

West Manchester, OH

#5 Dec 1, 2007
Unfortunately wrote:
<quoted text>
it has to grow before you build a multi-million dollar arena. Yeah, I guess they could raise property taxes or sales tax to pay for it, but wouldn't it be nice to actually have the money before you build something?
Iím not saying they have to build the next Conseco or Hinkle but when you are so embarrassed of your own gym you wonít even take recruits there, you know itís bad. Most NAIA gyms are better. I would almost guarantee itís the worst Division 1 gym in the country. Itís a good thing they donít look into the minimum attendance in basketball like they do for football, otherwise IUPUI would be out.

Donít get me wrong; what Ron Hunter has done at IUPUI is impressive. He has NO facilities, and yet they manage to stay competitive. Heck, they even made the NCAA tournament once. If they would ever upgrade at IUPUI, they could be onto something. IUPUI is located in a big basketball city but without the academic requirements of Butler.
Jag Man

Fort Wayne, IN

#6 Dec 1, 2007
Maybe too much money went into the Natatorium.. Oh well.. IUPUI is coming along.. I think one day it will be a fairly important urban university. ANY WAY... GO JAGS!!!
Southsider

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Dec 1, 2007
IPS graduates 52 percent wrote:
<quoted text>
Itís a good thing they donít look into the minimum attendance in basketball like they do for football, otherwise IUPUI would be out.
Apparently you haven't been to many mid-major games outside of Indiana.

I do agree the Jags need a real facility though.
I am better than you

Fort Wayne, IN

#8 Dec 1, 2007
And I'm not calling you a moron, but how much would you be willing to pay for a new sporting arena? Now, having said that, there's already an arena downtown (Conseco) waiting to become home of a team worth watching. St. John's plays as MSG in NYC (as do the Rangers and Knicks), why couldn't Conseco be home to the Jaguars, Ice, and I guess if there's room on the schedule, the Pacers. Otherwise, lets move the Pacers back to the Coliseum at the fairgrounds. The way attendence is going, they still won't sell out.
IPS graduates 52 percent wrote:
<quoted text>
Iím not saying they have to build the next Conseco or Hinkle but when you are so embarrassed of your own gym you wonít even take recruits there, you know itís bad. Most NAIA gyms are better. I would almost guarantee itís the worst Division 1 gym in the country. Itís a good thing they donít look into the minimum attendance in basketball like they do for football, otherwise IUPUI would be out.
Donít get me wrong; what Ron Hunter has done at IUPUI is impressive. He has NO facilities, and yet they manage to stay competitive. Heck, they even made the NCAA tournament once. If they would ever upgrade at IUPUI, they could be onto something. IUPUI is located in a big basketball city but without the academic requirements of Butler.
I am better than you

Fort Wayne, IN

#9 Dec 1, 2007
Oh, almost forgot, GO JAGS! I would love to see Ron take them dancing again this spring. And with the Jags going to Bloomington twice in the next couple of years, maybe the IU program will see a potential replacement to Kelvin "Ring Ring" Sampson.
IPS graduates 52 percent

West Manchester, OH

#10 Dec 1, 2007
I am better than you wrote:
And I'm not calling you a moron, but how much would you be willing to pay for a new sporting arena? Now, having said that, there's already an arena downtown (Conseco) waiting to become home of a team worth watching. St. John's plays as MSG in NYC (as do the Rangers and Knicks), why couldn't Conseco be home to the Jaguars, Ice, and I guess if there's room on the schedule, the Pacers. Otherwise, lets move the Pacers back to the Coliseum at the fairgrounds. The way attendence is going, they still won't sell out.
<quoted text>
You seriously want to tell me that IUPUI canít raise the money for a new basketball arena? Lafayette Jeff can build an 8 million dollar football stadium (all privately financed) and IUPUI canít come up with a better gym than the one they play in now? Come on, you know better than that. Sponsors anyone?

And as for St. Johnís, youíre a little off. Yes, they do play 6 of their games in MSG (oneís a tournament), but they play most of their home games in The Lou Carnesecca Arena. It seats 6,000 people.

As for IUPUI using Conseco, let's be realistic here. St.John's has been to a Final Four and play's in the Big East conference, while IUPUI has been to the tournament once. Somewhere in between the two is probably realistic.
Southsider

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Dec 1, 2007
AWESOME game JAGS!!! Way to hand it to UMASS. Great to see the students rush the floor after this huge win!
daisies

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Dec 1, 2007
awesome win... biggest ever... and on the same night Butler clobbered Ohio State... banner night for D1 basketball in Indy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

IUPUI Jaguars NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Notebook: Injuries force USD players to miss out (Mar '14) Mar '14 Andrew Thoseby 1
News IUPUI beats Ball State 77-68 (Jan '13) Jan '13 faith in facts 1
News iupui (Jan '13) Jan '13 faith in facts 1
The next George Hill: RON PATTERSON (Feb '08) Sep '12 br supporter 10
News OSU men's basketball: Sullinger scores 40 in vi... (Dec '10) Dec '10 par5vin 6
News Ohio State-IUPUI preview | BuckeyeXtra (Dec '10) Dec '10 Clint 3
6'1" PG Austin Richie (Sep '10) Sep '10 INBRecruits 1
More from around the web