IUPUI's Hill takes Summit League honors

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

IUPUI guard George Hill has been named Summit League Men's Basketball Player of the Week.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
cool

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2007

now dont let UMASS be your "season" and win your conference tourney and get into the dance! congrats on the huge victory that has been ignored by the sports writers here in indy! these short articles prove they dont respect you in your home town. good luck!
Best in Show

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2007

Best players in Indiana (in order):

1- Eric Gordon
1a- George Hill
IPS graduates 52 percent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2007

cool wrote:
now dont let UMASS be your "season" and win your conference tourney and get into the dance! congrats on the huge victory that has been ignored by the sports writers here in indy! these short articles prove they dont respect you in your home town. good luck!
When IUPUI respects their own program, they will get respect elsewhere. A Division 1 gym that holds less than 2,000 people? That's a small time program mentality and they are treated like a small time program. That said...

This team "should" be going to the NCAA tournament. Unfortunately, there are only two games on the schedule against possible NCAA tournament teams...Marquette and UMass (thats questionable). The loss to Portland State will hurt the seeding. IUPUI had better put up a pretty gaudy record if they want to be better than a 15 seed. I will be interested to see the strength of schedule at the end of the year.

Congrats to George Hill!

“Just sorting it out.”

Since: Mar 07

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2007

With the second half he had on Saturday night, he deserved it. Glad to see George get the recognition.

“Just sorting it out.”

Since: Mar 07

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2007

IPS graduates 52 percent wrote:
<quoted text>
When IUPUI respects their own program, they will get respect elsewhere. A Division 1 gym that holds less than 2,000 people? That's a small time program mentality and they are treated like a small time program. That said...
This team "should" be going to the NCAA tournament. Unfortunately, there are only two games on the schedule against possible NCAA tournament teams...Marquette and UMass (thats questionable). The loss to Portland State will hurt the seeding. IUPUI had better put up a pretty gaudy record if they want to be better than a 15 seed. I will be interested to see the strength of schedule at the end of the year.
Congrats to George Hill!
The best a small mid-major team like IUPUI (or whichever team represents the Summit League) can hope for in the Big Dance™ is a 12 or 13...and even then, that's pushing it, I'm sorry to say. If IUPUI avoids a collapse and takes care of business in the conference schedule, they could be a tough out for big schools.

Given the nature of big programs these days, though, never has the National Championship Tournament been so interesting. Mid majors are going to be tough to beat in March because they'll have more experience as a team. The big schools will be loaded with talent, but the relative inexperience is a major weakness.

Who's going to be this year's George Mason? We'll have to wait and see.
IPS graduates 52 percent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2007

K-Mac wrote:
<quoted text>
The best a small mid-major team like IUPUI (or whichever team represents the Summit League) can hope for in the Big Dance™ is a 12 or 13...and even then, that's pushing it, I'm sorry to say. If IUPUI avoids a collapse and takes care of business in the conference schedule, they could be a tough out for big schools.
Given the nature of big programs these days, though, never has the National Championship Tournament been so interesting. Mid majors are going to be tough to beat in March because they'll have more experience as a team. The big schools will be loaded with talent, but the relative inexperience is a major weakness.
Who's going to be this year's George Mason? We'll have to wait and see.
Realistically, if IUPUI has any dreams of the sweet 16, you need to be a 14 seed or better. It’s been done before with a Summit/Mid-Con league team (Valpo). I really believe that IUPUI could have something long term. They might have a lifer in Ron Hunter, and Indianapolis has enough talent left after the big programs have their pick to make other small time programs jealous. If you build it they will come. There’s room for two programs in this city and Butler is recruiting a different type of kid anyway. IUPUI should take a page from Valpo’s book...small conference dominance, then move to a better league.

As for this year’s George Mason, it’s Indy’s own…BUTLER!!!
Price Hill Stone

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2007

The Jags will go to the big dance if, and only if, they win the conference tournament... same as it ever was.
There's no need to dream of the Sweet Sixteen. Play well, work hard... and you just might get there.
Props to the program, though, for actively bringing in IPS kids, and for not letting them (and other athletes) off the proverbial hook, academically. I tutored IUPUI athletes in 2004 and 2005, and can testify that there was no preferential treatment... there were some prima donnas... yes... but no preferential treatment. And so I am very happy to cheer for the Jags.
Not a mid major

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2007

the Summit League is a Low Major league, not a Mid Major.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent IUPUI Jaguars NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the IUPUI Jaguars NCAA Basketball Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Notebook: Injuries force USD players to miss out Mar '14 Andrew Thoseby 1
IUPUI beats Ball State 77-68 (Jan '13) Jan '13 faith in facts 1
iupui (Jan '13) Jan '13 faith in facts 1
The next George Hill: RON PATTERSON (Feb '08) Sep '12 br supporter 10
OSU men's basketball: Sullinger scores 40 in vi... (Dec '10) Dec '10 par5vin 6
Ohio State-IUPUI preview | BuckeyeXtra (Dec '10) Dec '10 Clint 3
6'1" PG Austin Richie (Sep '10) Sep '10 INBRecruits 1
•••
•••