Franklin Central lives up to its expe...

Franklin Central lives up to its expectations

There are 21 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Mar 1, 2008, titled Franklin Central lives up to its expectations. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Despite some late-season turbulence, Flashes repeat as sectional champions Photo Galleries Franklin C. 55, Southport 5 Dreyer & Reinbold Infiniti Great Lease Offers on the Infiniti FX35, G35x AWD and M35x AWD.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RePete

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Mar 2, 2008
WOW! Congratulations to Coach James & his staff for pulling these kids together and finishing strong. Southport played a hard-fought game, and had a great year. That was a lot of fun to watch.
SHS

United States

#2 Mar 2, 2008
Delaney's lack of coaching ability was on display again last night. Four juniors and a freshman smoked the third year starting seniors. James schooled him again big time. Delaney will never win a sectional at Southport nor have another winning season. Get rid of him now.
For Real

United States

#3 Mar 2, 2008
Delaney stinks. If he couldn't win a sectional with this group and a depleted FC team, definitely won't happen in future.
Courtside

Florence, KY

#5 Mar 2, 2008
The lack of maturity by Delaney was reflected by his players. Did anyone see Wickware the James kid in the back of the head with no foul or technical? Then FC gets a tech because a kid argued a no call. Southport was given all the calls on Friday too. 23 free throws in the 4th & OT on Friday is pretty telling.
Wow

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Mar 2, 2008
Bring back Bill Springer and the cast of the 1991 Final Four basketball team.

They have eligibility left, right?
told you so

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Mar 2, 2008
Delaney should resign for a myriad of reason. He disses the juniors to their face daily, promising them " The eighth graders are coming, you better watch out, and I am not going anywhere he says tell your parents.." YOUR right delaney, your not going anywhere. You don't know what your doing. He tells the juniors they don't know how to play, yet as freshman they were 17-2 under coach Gooden and the Sophomores were 17-4 as freshman under coach Stephens. The only time players forget how to play basketball is under Coach Delaney and Heckle and Jeckyl Eccles. Those two guys know less about the game than I have forgotten. Do us all a favor and leave Southport, give the kids a chance to have a real coach who knows something besides what he read in a book , coaching for Dummies. Resign.
Good Riddance

United States

#8 Mar 2, 2008
Delaney sucks
SHS Fan

United States

#9 Mar 2, 2008
As expected, the Delaney haters are here once again. Southport had its first winning season in 13 years, but the coach deserves no credit for that according to the haters. In the nine seasons immediately prior to Coach Delaney's arrival, Southport averaged less than six wins per year. Coach isn't perfect, but things are definitely better than they were before he got here. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, even if I don't always agree with everything he does.

Fear not, haters -- I predict that you will ultimately prevail in this situation. You will eventually make life miserable enough for everyone at Southport that Coach Delaney will either resign or be fired. Then we can go back to our safe, comfortable existence of four to seven win seasons with no hope of playing in sectional championship games.

BTW, Southport went to the Final Four in 1990, not 1991.
Heres the Deal

United States

#10 Mar 2, 2008
Coach Delaney has proved he doesn't know how to coach. I expect Southport will keep him since below average is the rule for Southport and coaches hired. Hubert needs to go as well as Delaney. Need to request this of the new supt.
Wow

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Mar 2, 2008
1991 was a good team, too.
I I I

Marysville, OH

#12 Mar 2, 2008
At least Southport beat Perry Meridian!
Me too

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Mar 2, 2008
Ok, let Delaney stay. Then kids will continue to never get noticed by colleges because his mediocrity. Some kids had a dream of playing beyond Southport. So far none on Delaney's Southport teams have. If things stay the same, none will. Remember though, he won a state championship once upon a time.
We know for a fact, Delaney was hired by default, he was not in the running to get this job. Another coach was hired, didn't like Huberts strong arn tactics and quit after 3 weeks. Then Southport had to find a coach in a hurry. The only guy out of 42 who applied for the job, who hadn't found one, was Delaney. Voila, end of story, end of dreams for many a kid. He runs off more than he retains, and has found no one post high school scholarships. What a guy. And by the way, I don't hate him, I just don't think he knows what he is doing. 2 more wins than last year by basically the same players, is not a giant leap forward. I know of at least 3 games he lost that had freshman starting against him. He says this is the most talented team this school has had in a long time. Why didn't he do anything with them?????
Me Me Me

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Mar 2, 2008
Why do you keep sending your kids to Southport, then. If they truly were God's gift to basketball, other schools would welcome you.
Heres the Deal

United States

#15 Mar 2, 2008
Me too wrote:
Ok, let Delaney stay. Then kids will continue to never get noticed by colleges because his mediocrity. Some kids had a dream of playing beyond Southport. So far none on Delaney's Southport teams have. If things stay the same, none will. Remember though, he won a state championship once upon a time.
We know for a fact, Delaney was hired by default, he was not in the running to get this job. Another coach was hired, didn't like Huberts strong arn tactics and quit after 3 weeks. Then Southport had to find a coach in a hurry. The only guy out of 42 who applied for the job, who hadn't found one, was Delaney. Voila, end of story, end of dreams for many a kid. He runs off more than he retains, and has found no one post high school scholarships. What a guy. And by the way, I don't hate him, I just don't think he knows what he is doing. 2 more wins than last year by basically the same players, is not a giant leap forward. I know of at least 3 games he lost that had freshman starting against him. He says this is the most talented team this school has had in a long time. Why didn't he do anything with them?????
Delan ey's all talk and no substance whatsoever. He stands on the side yelling a bunch of meaningless junk.The thing that gets me is Hubert probably thought Delaney did a good job this year. Let's see. DK never improved primarily due to no one could teach him anything. Also, team had no field goals in the third quarter. Ever heard of a timeout to try and regroup?I don't care if there are 4 or 5 (stooges) suits on the bench, might as well be none, same result. Oh, one more thing. Hubert was telling everyone before the game about the post game celebration at the school after the game. He's as big a joke as Delaney. The pair need to hit the road and don't let the door hit em on the way out.
Heres the Deal

United States

#16 Mar 2, 2008
Me Me Me wrote:
Why do you keep sending your kids to Southport, then. If they truly were God's gift to basketball, other schools would welcome you.
Believe me if I had a son, he wouldn't go to Southport and play in their joke of mens sports.
Grow up

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Mar 3, 2008
SHS Fan wrote:
As expected, the Delaney haters are here once again. Southport had its first winning season in 13 years, but the coach deserves no credit for that according to the haters. In the nine seasons immediately prior to Coach Delaney's arrival, Southport averaged less than six wins per year. Coach isn't perfect, but things are definitely better than they were before he got here. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, even if I don't always agree with everything he does.
Fear not, haters -- I predict that you will ultimately prevail in this situation. You will eventually make life miserable enough for everyone at Southport that Coach Delaney will either resign or be fired. Then we can go back to our safe, comfortable existence of four to seven win seasons with no hope of playing in sectional championship games.
BTW, Southport went to the Final Four in 1990, not 1991.
MOST people quit going to high school games after they finish or their kids do. Move on, who cares what happened or will happen, the kids playing(not) are what matters now. Who follows their high school forever??? It's only 4 years of your life. Get one.
Flashes fan

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Mar 3, 2008
Everyone is talking about how bad Delaney is as a coach. How about giving some credit to Franklin Central. This team has overcome some pretty huge setbacks late in the season and with a very young lineup has managed to keep it all together and play very good basketball. Their performance in every Sectional game has proven they deserve to be the Champions.

If someone wants to see what High School basketball is all about watch FC play.
Correct

Pryor, OK

#19 Mar 3, 2008
Take nothing away from FC. FC will win sectional again next year since all these kids are back. Mark James proved again how good of a coach he is. Talk about getting the most out of his kids which he does every year. It was just more noticeable this year.
DKduh

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Mar 3, 2008
The reference to DK sort of gives it away...
Thanks for your opinion, Mr. Kidwell!
SHS Fan

United States

#21 Mar 3, 2008
Grow up wrote:
<quoted text>
MOST people quit going to high school games after they finish or their kids do. Move on, who cares what happened or will happen, the kids playing(not) are what matters now. Who follows their high school forever??? It's only 4 years of your life. Get one.
You apparently don't know much about high school basketball in Indiana. For MOST of its history, entire communities came out to watch their local team play. People supported the home team whether their kids were in school or not. That's how it became known as Hoosier Hysteria! With your attitude, that would never have happened. That kind of thinking leads to kids playing in nearly empty gyms (which sadly is now all too common).

I suppose you think all those alumni filling up Assembly Hall and Mackey Arena need to get a life too. After all, college is only four years of your like! Time to move on! What a ridiculous point of view.

High school basketball is one of the best entertainment values around when you look at the level of competition and the cost of admission. I can go to a whole season of HS basketball games for the price of a lower level ticket to ONE Pacers game. I support my local team, and I make no apologies for it.

You don't know anything about me or my life, which is just fine as it is. Telling me to "grow up" and "get one" merely puts your arrogance on display for all to see.

And if one needs to "grow up" because he is interested in HS basketball, why are YOU spending your time posting to a message board about it? Why are you even READING what is posted here?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

IUPUI Jaguars NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Notebook: Injuries force USD players to miss out (Mar '14) Mar '14 Andrew Thoseby 1
News IUPUI beats Ball State 77-68 (Jan '13) Jan '13 faith in facts 1
News iupui (Jan '13) Jan '13 faith in facts 1
The next George Hill: RON PATTERSON (Feb '08) Sep '12 br supporter 10
News OSU men's basketball: Sullinger scores 40 in vi... (Dec '10) Dec '10 par5vin 6
News Ohio State-IUPUI preview | BuckeyeXtra (Dec '10) Dec '10 Clint 3
6'1" PG Austin Richie (Sep '10) Sep '10 INBRecruits 1
More from around the web