Bulldogs fall 2 back in loss column

Don't reserve Hinkle Fieldhouse for the Horizon League basketball tournament yet. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Cru Jones

Carmel, IN

#1 Jan 18, 2008
For white guys in their conference, Butler is an ok team, but Butler has no business being in the top 25.

One and done in the tournament - probably lose to ITT Tech.
Hoosier in the House

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jan 18, 2008
I guess thers no debating whos the best team in the state now huh? Just keep telling yourselves that your a top 20 team dawg fans and see if it will help...Cleveland St, what a joke!
Go Bulldogs

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Jan 18, 2008
The same white guys from the same conference made sweet sixteen last year.

And guess what? They are so much more fun to watch than thug-ball.

“Loving this Colts' era!”

Since: Jan 08

Waynetown, IN

#4 Jan 18, 2008
Ok, I will be the first one to type it in reference to the Butler Bulldogs..."They are who we thought they were." Butler probably is overrated, but they are a good team and capable of beating any team in Indiana.
Go Dawgs

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Jan 18, 2008
I love Butler b-ball. I loved the Indiana program in the old days.

It's great to see the Hoosiers have a wonderful year, just like it was refreshing last time they made it far into the NCAA tournament, in Mike Davis' first year.

But what happened after that? The team "star" went to the NBA, and the team returned to "one and done". I hope that doesn't happen again, but I bet it does.

That's one reason I enjoy the Dawgs so much, their success doesn't depend on the "star". In the old Bobby Knight days at IU, we weren't worried about who would go to the draft next year. The old system was less reliant on "star" power.
Bulldog Fan

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Jan 18, 2008
I think Green and Graves had it right: they were outplayed from the start. Cleveland State isn't the league doormat any more but Butler missed uncontested layups and open threes. They didn't make defensive stops nad couldn't get rebounds. I do not understand why Julian Betko continues to start instead of Willie Veasley or Pete Campbell. Betko is usually a step slow on offense and defense and last night shot an airball on an open three not to mention missing at the end of the game.
This is a very disappointing loss. We will see on Saturday in the Dawgs can rebound (literally and figuratively).

GO DAWGS!!!
Don Sanders

Columbus, OH

#7 Jan 18, 2008
Purdue could beat Butler with their second string.
Butler is way over rated.
Hoosier in the House

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Jan 18, 2008
Don Sanders wrote:
Don be happy for your Hoosiers and stop posting on our forum. Try and post something positive when we win and not pile-on when we lose.
IU Laughs

El Dorado Hills, CA

#9 Jan 18, 2008
I think winning the Horizon League is required before you can run your mouth about IU. But as I have said, this is the best team Butler has ever had and they still won't make the Final 4. You can always watch the hoosiers win despite sloppy play, bad officiating, etc. Winning ugly is hopw you win the conference. In all honesty, good luck to the bulldawgs....
Pete

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Jan 18, 2008
Hoosier in the House wrote:
I guess thers no debating whos the best team in the state now huh? Just keep telling yourselves that your a top 20 team dawg fans and see if it will help...Cleveland St, what a joke!
It was the second victory over a Top-25 team in Cleveland State history. The other was an 83-79 upset of No. 16 Indiana in the first round of the 1986 NCAA Tournament.

If they're a joke, that would make you???

Go Boilermakers!
Yuma

Avon, IN

#12 Jan 18, 2008
Hoosier in the House wrote:
<quoted text>
Don be happy for your Hoosiers and stop posting on our forum. Try and post something positive when we win and not pile-on when we lose.
"Our" forum?

It's an Indianapolis Star forum. It's not "anybody's" forum. Geez. These new Butler fans are really something.
Classic

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Jan 18, 2008
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the second victory over a Top-25 team in Cleveland State history. The other was an 83-79 upset of No. 16 Indiana in the first round of the 1986 NCAA Tournament.
Go Boilermakers!
Hey Boiler Puke,

In 1987 IU won the championship. Purdue wouldn't beat Butler and they wouldn't beat IU. Why would a Purdue fan want to take a History class in basketball..especially with an IU fan.....

I don't think anybody expected Butler to go undefeated. I'm not a Butler fan...but they have one helluva a Basketball team. Alot better than the junk in Lafayette

Since: Dec 07

Plainfield

#14 Jan 18, 2008
Despite all of the IU and Purdue posters comments to the contrary, Butler is still a very good team that has some issues to work out, which they will.

Who has the best division 1 record in the past 10 years in Indiana? Who has more NCAA and preseason tournament success in the last 10 years in Indiana? Who has winning streaks against all of the "Big Three"? The answers: Butler, Butler and Butler.

I'm an IU fan as well as a Butler fan and for some reason I don't feel the need to post negative, hateful stuff on IUs posts. I can't stand Purdue but still I don't post negative, hateful stuff on their posts either. I've only responded to Purdue Pete and his ilk's negative posts about Butler. Why Purdue and IU fans feel the need to post negative, hateful stuff about Butler I'm not sure. Jealous of Butler's success? Don't feel too good about your own teams?
Arnold

United States

#15 Jan 18, 2008
Look, anybody who thought Butler would "run the table" is unrealistic. Regardless of what any of the people say who post here, winning on the road is extremely difficult and the Horizon League is no different. Check out any conference- anywhere any year, anytime- it just doesn't happen. Butler will probably lose at least 2 more road games. That said, I believe the key road game will be vs. Valparaiso. There is no way Cleveland St. will run away as they will have 3-4 losses as well. Its going to come down between Butler, Valpo, and Clev. st. Butler needs to take of business at home and beat Valparaiso on the road which will be "THE DETERMINING TIE BREAKER GAME". Regarding the "ranking"- forget about it. Playing in the Horizon League, Butler would have had to "run the table" in order to remain high in the polls. Their losses are more "damaging" to the voters since the Horizon is not a Power Conference. Butler fans need to stop worrying about the ranking and the tournament"seeding" and start concentrating on just winning the Horizon League. I they that , then the seeding will take care of itself as the tournament committee is very different from the poll voters and last year demonstrated huge respect for Butler- thus a 5 seed.
Tony

Avon, IN

#16 Jan 18, 2008
In Collier's recent letter to the editor he mentioned that the semi-finals are scheduled for Hinkle Fieldhouse so the IHSAA couldn't play their Regional there. He didn't say that IF Butler won the HLC the semi-finals would be scheduled, he said they WERE scheduled at Hinkle.

Think he was counting his chickens a little too early?

This loss will not help the draw for overpriced tickets at Hinkle for the rest of the season. Looks liek Barry's plan is not coming together as planned.

BTW, still love the team. Now they have a chance to pull together and dig a little deeper, which is what they are going to have to do if they want to go deep into the NCAA tournament. The rest of the teams in the HL will be smelling blood in the water and are going to give the Bulldogs the best they've got in every game through the end of the season. In hindsight, the loss to CS doesn't hurt as much as the one to WS as they are now, what, 3-4 in the HLC.
Lets go Hoosiers

United States

#17 Jan 18, 2008
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Go Boilermakers!
I knew someone would post that when they saw "IU" referenced in the story. You are trying to compare Butler's team today vs Cleveland St. to IU's team 20 years ago vs Cleveland St.? That is at best a silly and irrelevant comparison. We won the Championship the next year so I guess that makes us Champs. Grow up. This is big boy basketball.

Anyway, a couple of things concern me......One, the tone of Green and Graves. They both are saying half their team didnt show up, but they went a combined 6-22 from the field. I hope they are considering themselves part of the group that didnt show up. Secondly, Cleveland St. was 7-5 coming into conference play. They are 6-0 in conference. That either tells me Cleveland played really tough teams in the pre-conference, or that the Horizon is rediculously bad this year. Given that two of those losses were at Cal St. Northridge(?) and at home against Georgia Southern, I would assume the latter is true. The Horizon is that bad.

The longer Cleveland St. stays on top of the conference standings the worse the horizon looks. They should not be leading this conference. Butler is going to need to win the conference or at least be ranked at the end of the season to get in the Tournament. This loss is going to knock them down between 20-25 next week.
Purdue Pete

Houston, TX

#18 Jan 18, 2008
Don Sanders wrote:
Amen brother. Our women's second string could beat Butler. Keep telling yourselves that Butler is a top 20 program and keep hugging on to your past sweet 16 appearances (as if that validates your "basketball prowess" this year), the come back to reality and realize you have two losses in the Horizon League (aka Division II+). And, you lost to Cleveland State before a crowd of 5,352 ... a number that most Big Ten teams fill their stadiums with for midnight madness and triple that amount during real games.

You're laughable.

Boiler up!
Bulldog Fan

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Jan 18, 2008
Don Sanders wrote:
Purdue's first string couldn't beat Wofford or Iowa State. If their second string is good enough to beat Butler, maybe theysould have played against wofford and Iowa State.
Pete

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Jan 18, 2008
Classic wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Boiler Puke,
In 1987 IU won the championship. Purdue wouldn't beat Butler and they wouldn't beat IU. Why would a Purdue fan want to take a History class in basketball..especially with an IU fan.....
I don't think anybody expected Butler to go undefeated. I'm not a Butler fan...but they have one helluva a Basketball team. Alot better than the junk in Lafayette
It was your lame Loosier brethen that had to say the Butler was a bad program for losing, so I was just giving them a piece of basketball history :)
Wetard

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Jan 18, 2008
Tony wrote:
In Collier's recent letter to the editor he mentioned that the semi-finals are scheduled for Hinkle Fieldhouse so the IHSAA couldn't play their Regional there. He didn't say that IF Butler won the HLC the semi-finals would be scheduled, he said they WERE scheduled at Hinkle.
Think he was counting his chickens a little too early?
Tony, it's not Barry Collier who is holding Hinkle Fieldhouse for those dates, it's the Horizon League. The League makes each school hold those dates in case the school's team earns the right to host the tournament. Each school is a possible host site, the Horizon League runs the tournament, they call all the shots. So, Barry isn't "counting his chickens before they hatch" as you suggest, he's just doing what the League office is making him do, as are the other 9 athletic director's in the league. Do your research next time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

IUPUI Jaguars NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Notebook: Injuries force USD players to miss out (Mar '14) Mar '14 Andrew Thoseby 1
IUPUI beats Ball State 77-68 (Jan '13) Jan '13 faith in facts 1
iupui (Jan '13) Jan '13 faith in facts 1
The next George Hill: RON PATTERSON (Feb '08) Sep '12 br supporter 10
OSU men's basketball: Sullinger scores 40 in vi... (Dec '10) Dec '10 par5vin 6
Ohio State-IUPUI preview | BuckeyeXtra (Dec '10) Dec '10 Clint 3
6'1" PG Austin Richie (Sep '10) Sep '10 INBRecruits 1

IUPUI Jaguars NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE