Cathedral, Howe in city tourney final

Cathedral, Howe in city tourney final

There are 20 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 18, 2008, titled Cathedral, Howe in city tourney final. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Cathedral and Howe will play for the City Tournament title tonight, but the Hornets will be short-handed. Howe's starting center, 6-8 sophomore Jordan Manuel, must sit out the game after being ejected for ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

SPM

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, Indiana

#1 Jan 19, 2008
Both games (Cathedral vs. Northwest) and Howe vs. Washington) were plagued by poor officiating. There were a lot of ghost calls.

Cathedral vs. Northwest Game
During the fourth quarter their were a lot of questionable calls traveling calls. I believe this was because the officials were not prepared or understand the quick moves of the Space Pioneers in the face of the Irish getting tired. I the ghost calls were not the total loss for Northwest though. It was the controled game Cathedral played.

In the Howe Academy vs. Washington Game
In the hard foul instance coach sembly had been complaining of hard fouls and the officials letting the continentals get away. The officials had were calling touch fouls at one end and letting Howe players lay on the floor at the other end.

From my vantage point in the balcony the technical that resulted in an edjection for Jordan Manuel was the officials fault for not controling the game.

Yes, the coaches of Howe should have had their players in control on the bench so that non leave. The officials though should have had the game in control as Washington's tempers and emotions about being behind grew. Instead they lost control and were always a step behind.

Jordan Manuel will learn an important lesson for his youthful poor judgement. Sitting out a championship. The Hornets though with Damone Eubanks at taking charge will hopefully give the Irish a better game than the last time they met.
refman61

Frankfort, IN

#2 Jan 19, 2008
That is their second ejection of the season and another technical foul against them. Just goes along with the dunking during warm-ups. Obviously there are no rules for this club.
Thomas Carr

Maryland Heights, MO

#3 Jan 19, 2008
How does one overzealous official call a technical foul on Howe when the players and coaching staff went onto the court to check on their injured team mate Damone Eubanks?
Damone Eubanks was undercut by defender, turned upside down in mid-air and crashed to the floor head first. The kid was lying motionless on the court when the Howe players went onto the court.
Piss poor handling of the situation by one overzealous official. This same guy made 11 out of 12 calls during the fourth quarter while the other two officials combined for one call. Some one needs to take his whistle away and send him home.
Go IPS

AOL

#4 Jan 19, 2008
Larry Stone has a broken bone and the coach says he will continue to play. Coach Hunter probably likes this.
This is Sembley's mindset. Recruit from within IPS, Dunking during pregame, allowing players to play with broken bones.
Oh Please

West Manchester, OH

#5 Jan 19, 2008
Thomas Carr wrote:
How does one overzealous official call a technical foul on Howe when the players and coaching staff went onto the court to check on their injured team mate Damone Eubanks?
Damone Eubanks was undercut by defender, turned upside down in mid-air and crashed to the floor head first. The kid was lying motionless on the court when the Howe players went onto the court.
Piss poor handling of the situation by one overzealous official. This same guy made 11 out of 12 calls during the fourth quarter while the other two officials combined for one call. Some one needs to take his whistle away and send him home.
It's not the job of the players on the bench to check on an injured player. The rules are clear -- they CANNOT leave the bench. It's not up the officials to decide on a player's motives for the leaving the bench...they simply cannot leave!
Oh Please

West Manchester, OH

#6 Jan 19, 2008
SPM wrote:
From my vantage point in the balcony the technical that resulted in an edjection for Jordan Manuel was the officials fault for not controling the game.
That is absolutely ridiculous. It is 100% Jordan Manuel's fault for not keeping HIMSELF under control no matter WHAT was happening on the court. There could be an all-out brawl happening out there, and as soon as he loses control of himself and leaves the bench, HE is responsible for that. The officiating is not an excuse.
OH MY HOOPS RICKY

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Jan 19, 2008
refman61 wrote:
That is their second ejection of the season and another technical foul against them. Just goes along with the dunking during warm-ups. Obviously there are no rules for this club.
You know nothing. Both ejections came from the Washington team and the same player. If this kid was a black player he would have been ejected.#55 from Washington played the whole game dirty, cheap shoots, elbows, undercuts, but he is a "hard nose player" B.......S....... Mistreatment of the young black male does not stop with the justice system. Mostly white officials, coaches, administration, but mostly black players and students. This is a shame, is there no system in place to supervise these officials? Jordan probably left the bench to see if his teammate was still alive, he has never been in a fight in his live and doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body. This is depressing, oppressing, and just the way it is. So for you young black boys, stay focuses, because they are out to get you. You can not be a hard nose player because you will be labeled a trouble maker, you can not pump fake dribble drive because it will be called a travel, you have to be on your best behavior, you have to win against all odds.
OH MY HOOPS RICKY

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Jan 19, 2008
Oh Please wrote:
<quoted text>
That is absolutely ridiculous. It is 100% Jordan Manuel's fault for not keeping HIMSELF under control no matter WHAT was happening on the court. There could be an all-out brawl happening out there, and as soon as he loses control of himself and leaves the bench, HE is responsible for that. The officiating is not an excuse.
I hope you were at the game.#55 should have been out of the game from the previous play. He came down after the play and ran into the back of Foster knocked him down in front of the ref, and nothing was done. You idiot, "control of himself" one controls himself in order for the officials, police, authority to do there job. They didn't even call a flagrant foul, tech, or ejected #55. The system, ANY SYSTEM does not provide justice for blacks, and inequalities. So yeah Jordan should have known better but the authorities failed him and his teammates. They didn't control the situation but came in to render judgment against him.
Oh Please

West Manchester, OH

#9 Jan 19, 2008
OH MY HOOPS RICKY wrote:
<quoted text>
So for you young black boys, stay focuses, because they are out to get you. You can not be a hard nose player because you will be labeled a trouble maker, you can not pump fake dribble drive because it will be called a travel, you have to be on your best behavior, you have to win against all odds.
...and you can't leave the bench even if someone else commits a hard foul against your teammate because it's a technical foul and you'll get ejected. Oh -- and that one applies whether you're black or white.
refman61

Frankfort, IN

#10 Jan 19, 2008
You all have excuses for everything. Lack of foul calls, why your team lost its games, why a kid gets kicked out. It is so funny to read all the excuse filled crap you but on this board and other message boards.
buttah

Crawfordsville, IN

#11 Jan 19, 2008
first of all frankie #55 isnt white hes a minority just like the rest not of african descent hes latin open ur eyes dumb ass. plus howes coaches are certified refs makes you think why they get alot of bullshit calls huh. jordans hood just like the rest of the team yea he was lookin for a fight. howe gets alot of credit when they dont even earn it hope coach hunter isnt counting on someone that is obviously not 5'9 more like 5'5. so next time you decide to say something do your research first please thank you.
OH MY HOOPS RICKY wrote:
<quoted text>
You know nothing. Both ejections came from the Washington team and the same player. If this kid was a black player he would have been ejected.#55 from Washington played the whole game dirty, cheap shoots, elbows, undercuts, but he is a "hard nose player" B.......S....... Mistreatment of the young black male does not stop with the justice system. Mostly white officials, coaches, administration, but mostly black players and students. This is a shame, is there no system in place to supervise these officials? Jordan probably left the bench to see if his teammate was still alive, he has never been in a fight in his live and doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body. This is depressing, oppressing, and just the way it is. So for you young black boys, stay focuses, because they are out to get you. You can not be a hard nose player because you will be labeled a trouble maker, you can not pump fake dribble drive because it will be called a travel, you have to be on your best behavior, you have to win against all odds.
Deja Vu

Monon, IN

#12 Jan 19, 2008
Ask coach "Baby Magic" about the four overtime tilt he played in '81-'82 against Howe for the city crown.

Ken Barlow, Tim Hoffman, Brad Montgomery, Scott Hicks, Scott Fath...sorry for whomever I've forgotten for the moment.

The Howe squad featured Marx Clark. Don't recall if Greg Cheatem was still on the roster.
obie trice

Cincinnati, OH

#13 Jan 19, 2008
Let me just save you some time and write your post for you. Howe got cheated by officials tonight. Manuel was suspended because a Cathedral players dad ejected him friday night. Howe coaches had a great strategy but it was foiled by the officals. They would have won by 20 if, if,if,if,if.
Curious

Monon, IN

#14 Jan 19, 2008
obie trice wrote:
Let me just save you some time and write your post for you. Howe got cheated by officials tonight. Manuel was suspended because a Cathedral players dad ejected him friday night. Howe coaches had a great strategy but it was foiled by the officals. They would have won by 20 if, if,if,if,if.
Is the game over?
Bobby Hill

Crawfordsville, IN

#15 Jan 19, 2008
OH MY HOOPS RICKY wrote:
<quoted text>
Jordan probably left the bench to see if his teammate was still alive, he has never been in a fight in his live and doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.
I am glad he hasn't been in a fight - someone would break his stick arms and legs in half. Don't they have a weight room at Howe? Aren't his coaches working with him to get some meat on his bones?

If he wants to become a better varsity basketball player in Indiana and then at the next level (?), he had better grow an "aggressive bone" and maybe weigh more than 175 lbs on that 6'8" frame. Seriously, a strong wind might knock that kid over.
Bobby Hill

Crawfordsville, IN

#16 Jan 19, 2008
Oh, and by the way "RICKY", nice use of the race card...

stay classy!!
refman61

Frankfort, IN

#17 Jan 19, 2008
The only reason Paligraf got those foul calls against him late is because he is white. It has been an oppression that has affected the kid all season. I don't know how they let those refs get away with this. This is a travisty to high school basketball. These calls wouldn't be made against him if he played for a county or rural school. This is a complete fabrication in case you don't know, but what if this was a true post?
jjj

Columbus, OH

#18 Jan 19, 2008
congrats to howe and cathedral on a great game sat. night it was a shame the hornets center was absent from this one as it could of tip the balance in howes favor...still a great game to watch. i really liked the hustle of mr. stone who kept the hornets in the game and almost stole the show!
Scooter

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Jan 19, 2008
Stone is the most entertaining basketball player from Indy area in a very long time.
IMHO

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Jan 21, 2008
Sorry you don't like #55 on Washington, but from my vantage point (third row on the floor), it should have been a charging call on Eubanks.#55 clearly had established defensive position, arms in a vertical straight line, then Eubanks continues to try and plow over him to the goal. Unfortunately, Eubanks flipped over his right shoulder and fell to the floor.

In the first game against Washington, Foster was ejected for a flagrant elbow to the face of #55. How can that be #55's fault?

Jordan Manuel LEFT THE BENCH, so he is suspended for one game, period.

All you Hornets can do is whine because things don't go your way. Really you do not have to cheat and hold players jersey's to keep up with them, like Brown did to the area's best sophomore (Ronald Ross, Washington) the entire second half. From the start of the second half, and I know that those who were there saw it, Brown backed up Ross to the three point line on the opposite end of the floor, lipping trash talk, all the while Ross just kept backing up. The ref's should have stepped in right there. That must have been the focus of your halftime pep talk. Do not let Ross get loose, no matter what, because he already established himself as ready to take over the game after fourteen fist half points. So you have to hold him and pull on the jersey the entire second half to stop him.

If you don't think you are taking cheap shots and pushing and pulling on opponents jersey's then take a look at the picture of Cathedral's Barlow making a poster child of Brown. Look closely at Brown's left hand pushing Barlow as he goes up. Yes, it is very clear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

IUPUI Jaguars NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Notebook: Injuries force USD players to miss out (Mar '14) Mar '14 Andrew Thoseby 1
News IUPUI beats Ball State 77-68 (Jan '13) Jan '13 faith in facts 1
News iupui (Jan '13) Jan '13 faith in facts 1
The next George Hill: RON PATTERSON (Feb '08) Sep '12 br supporter 10
News OSU men's basketball: Sullinger scores 40 in vi... (Dec '10) Dec '10 par5vin 6
News Ohio State-IUPUI preview | BuckeyeXtra (Dec '10) Dec '10 Clint 3
6'1" PG Austin Richie (Sep '10) Sep '10 INBRecruits 1
More from around the web