Coming up Golden

Coming up Golden

There are 80 comments on the Iowa City Press-Citizen story from Feb 25, 2007, titled Coming up Golden. In it, Iowa City Press-Citizen reports that:

The University of Iowa has its new Golden Girl: Chelsea Russell of Williamsville, N.Y. Russell, 17, won the coveted position, beating two other finalists at a tryout Saturday morning at the UI Fieldhouse in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Iowa City Press-Citizen.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“"Punting is Winning" UCLA”

Since: Dec 06

Somewhere in SoCal

#63 Sep 24, 2007
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not her mother - but I wish I was for she sounds like a girl who is O.K. with changing her plans to continue to live out a dream Good for her!!!....I truly hope the fans will be watching the twirlers this weekend. We will see who is crying then!(You might want to bring along your tissues Joe)
Get Real lady she only "changed her plans" because she lost the competition to Chelsea Russell period.
Can't you see that?
The Insider

United States

#64 Oct 12, 2007
As a person who knows what REALLY went down, i feel it is my duty to enlighten you all as to the happenings of the 2007 Golden Girl selection.

FACT: there were 13 judges, and the score was 9-4. Diana did NOT rig anything, unless she has magical powers that allowed her to vote multiple times.

FACT: Emily was lucky to even make it to the live audition. I can't say more, but we'll just leave it at that.

FACT: whether you agree or not, the band director stated verbatim at the band banquet and on other occasions that Diana IS the best college twirler he has EVER seen.

FACT: there is a difference between WANTING to be miss iowa, and actually possessing the skills necessary to earn that presigious title. Congrats to Diana!!

FACT: it's great to be a Hawkeye!!
TWIRLER

Des Moines, IA

#65 Oct 15, 2007
Wow are you people totally mistaken and in denial!! YES the band director said that about Diana, more than once. Sorry you weren't there, but PLENTY of others were who heard it. She is a phenomenal twirler and performer.

She did not "control" the situation with Emily. You don't know all the facts, and until you do, your assumptions are completely false and unjustified.

Iowa chose the twirler they wanted, and if that wasn't your girl, then get over it and move on. People often times get what they deserve, and in this case, I think the judges were right on. Just because it's easier to blame someone rather than admit that Emily lost fair and square doesn't make it right. Grow up, get your facts straight, learn some manners, and MOVE ON.
YOU ARE WRONG

Des Moines, IA

#66 Oct 15, 2007
Twirling Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! This post is exactly why Twirling has the reputation that it does, do you not read Drum Major and hear what Don Sartell says about twirling and how we should set examples? Read these posts - they are childish and immature. Are you telling me that the Iowa Band director really said that Diana is better than Tanya Pennock and Julie Canterbury? I find it hard to believe that a person in that role would say that... PLUS those two were AWESOME college twirlers who were the perfect examples of class on the twirling field at Iowa. They weren't worried about if the next person would be better than they were, they were excited and supportive of each other. Yes, Diana has accomplished alot, what little girl doesn't want to be Miss Iowa or be the best at what she does. But is all this necessary? It is obvious that Diana enjoys what she does, but it is just as obvious that she wanted to control the whole outcome. You are either out of touch with reality or Diana's mom. This whole chain of comments is not in line with the world of twirling where people are competitive, hardworkers, smart and support each other. Or rather that has been my experience, butnot after reading this. If you, in fact, are a judge it is your job to support the world of twirling not get on a site and make these types of comments - I hope you never judge my daughter. I take pride in this sport and the people involved, we all should. You are wrong about Emily Bright, just the opposite, she has shown through this experience, that she can hold her head high, she set a goal, she worked hard to get the opportunity to reach that goal and when it didn't work out she held her head high and looked for her next opportunity. Her years of twirling have taught her to handle disappointments and losses gracefully and sees them as an opportunity. Did you see her twirl at her first game at ISU - SHE ROCKED! It's unfortunate that those of you who think you know Emily and have worked with her in the past can't be professional and supportive of her. Last but not least her parents are supportive of her and the other girls that they know in the world of twirling. Her coaches are some of the best in the country and have been excellent role models for her. She is fortunate to have those people in her life. Let's let the fans decide on the best twirler in the state this weekend. Best of luck to Chelsea and Emily they both have wonderful twirling opportunities and I hope you both have great college twirling careers. Have fun and be ultra classy this weekend, show the people on this board that you can rise above all of this stuff!
"RISE ABOVE ALL THIS STUFF?" EXCUSE ME, BUT YOU ARE THE ONE PREVENTING THAT FROM HAPPENING WHEN YOU MAKE SUCH UNTRUE AND RUDE COMMENTS ABOUT DIANA! SHE DID NOT RIG ANYTHING, AND OF ALL THE GIRLS YOU JUST MENTIONED, SHE HAS MORE CLASS, CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY THAN ALL OF THEM COMBINED!

“"Punting is Winning" UCLA”

Since: Dec 06

Somewhere in SoCal

#67 Oct 15, 2007
TWIRLER wrote:
Wow are you people totally mistaken and in denial!! YES the band director said that about Diana, more than once. Sorry you weren't there, but PLENTY of others were who heard it. She is a phenomenal twirler and performer.
She did not "control" the situation with Emily. You don't know all the facts, and until you do, your assumptions are completely false and unjustified.
Iowa chose the twirler they wanted, and if that wasn't your girl, then get over it and move on. People often times get what they deserve, and in this case, I think the judges were right on. Just because it's easier to blame someone rather than admit that Emily lost fair and square doesn't make it right. Grow up, get your facts straight, learn some manners, and MOVE ON.
Exactly~!
A Chelsea Booster

Tonawanda, NY

#68 Apr 12, 2008
Chelsea has represented Iowa and the Hawkeyes well. She is a phenomenal twirler and has a personality to match! She is highly intelligent and a high achiever in every aspect of her life. She loves Iowa and the people, and represents them well. No more sour grapes please, give credit where it is due!
Go Chels! An Admirer
ben jamin

West Des Moines, IA

#69 Apr 18, 2008
Emilie Fessler-Boylan wrote:
As a fellow Twirler.. I think its amazing to have a nationally accredited twirler fill the spot. Miss Majorette of America beats out any other twirler any day.
emilie is a butt
Ben Flamin

West Des Moines, IA

#71 May 17, 2008
ben jamin wrote:
<quoted text>
emilie is a butt
No!! Ben Jamin is a Butt
A Person that Cares

Abingdon, VA

#72 Jul 15, 2008
Both girls are happy so lets stop having this conversation
Not a Tanya Pennock Fan

Van Nuys, CA

#73 Nov 22, 2008
Did any of you know that Tanya Pennock Lieber is a hated woman? She might have been a "phenomenal" twirler, but, she isn't a very good person. She is mean, vindictive and will lie to get what she wants. I guess when some people get older, they get worse instead of better. Maybe she should go back to high school.
No Surprise

Van Nuys, CA

#74 Dec 6, 2008
Not a Tanya Pennock Fan wrote:
Did any of you know that Tanya Pennock Lieber is a hated woman? She might have been a "phenomenal" twirler, but, she isn't a very good person. She is mean, vindictive and will lie to get what she wants. I guess when some people get older, they get worse instead of better. Maybe she should go back to high school.
I'm not surprised!
No Surprise

Van Nuys, CA

#75 Dec 6, 2008
No surprise.....she was always mean....
Iowa Band Member

Chicago, IL

#76 Jul 31, 2009
Sure Chelsea's a terrific twirler, there's no doubt about that, but her showmanship just isn't up to par. I was in the band when Diana was the GG and am still am, with Chelsea as the GG. Chelsea's great, but she's not the performer that Diana was... and if she's not by now, she probably never will be. I don't mean to take anything away from Chelsea, but I think everyone needs to remember that the Golden Girl position is not just a twirler- it's MUCH more.
Iowa Band Member

Chicago, IL

#77 Jul 31, 2009
Also, to "YOU ARE WRONG"

The director did say Diana was the Golden Girl he has ever seen- yes BETTER than the rest.
Iowa State Girl

Ames, IA

#78 Nov 4, 2009
No one could actually BE sweeter and nicer than Emily Bright, you loons.
And after each girl has had a chance to perform, Chelsea at Iowa and Emily at Iowa State, it has become evident that Emily is in fact an excellent and arguably better showman (who by the way you could not force to say a word against Chelsea-Emily is a great sport and a classy lady.)
So, Iowa, you should feel pretty foolish, eh?
But that's okay because we love her here at Iowa State. ;)
baton mom from Iowa

United States

#79 Jun 3, 2010
Terri,
I wish you (and everyone else in the Hawkeye Nation) would write a letter to West Des Moines Valley band directior Tony Garmoe. He won't allow baton twirlers at Valley High School because he thinks they detract from "his" band.
My daughter is 7 and started twirling when she was 3. One of her favorite babysitters is an excellent, award-winning twirler and will be a senior in the fall. She has totally been denied the opportunity to twirl during a halftime show and in turn have the experience needed to twirl in college.
If the Hawkeyes want their Golden Girls to be from Iowa, then they need to let the high school band directors know!

DeathValley56 Ghost

“CELL PHONE # 318-458-1492”

Since: Sep 09

TELEPHONE # - 318-686-7373

#80 Jun 3, 2010
Broadway Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly~!
Hey buddy! Long time no hear from! Where ya been, buddy?:)
ALWAYS RIGHT

United States

#81 Jun 3, 2010
Iowa Band Member wrote:
Also, to "YOU ARE WRONG"
The director did say Diana was the Golden Girl he has ever seen- yes BETTER than the rest.
I've never been wrong, young lady! I'm 'ALWAYS RIGHT'!!! HAHAHA

DeathValley56 Ghost

“CELL PHONE # 318-458-1492”

Since: Sep 09

TELEPHONE # - 318-686-7373

#82 Jun 3, 2010
Ben Flamin wrote:
<quoted text>
No!! Ben Jamin is a Butt
LMAO!!!!!
Supports Twirling

Des Moines, IA

#83 Nov 30, 2010
I have seen the Valley High Twirlers perform. This is why i agree with the band directors descision to not allow them to twirl.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iowa Hawkeyes NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Minnesota Vikings: Why Brandon Scherff Is Ideal... (Mar '15) Mar '15 BradyBonerz 6
News Iowa State rallies past Iowa 20-17 (Sep '14) Sep '14 Jerru 1
News 2014 NFL Draft: Clearview graduate Anthony Hitc... (May '14) May '14 Cowboysfan 2
@KayleeSteffen: Dear Ohio State: October, 19th.... (Jun '13) Jun '13 jihiii 1
News Iowa Football: Kirk Ferentz's 7 Biggest Challen... (May '13) May '13 M helland 1
News Harty: Best part of the season is it's over (Nov '12) Nov '12 Larry Kruger 1
News Three and Out . . . (Oct '12) Oct '12 jeff 2
More from around the web