Indiana State guard Cole Holmstrom taken aback by loss of scholarship

Apr 30, 2008 Full story: Tribune-Star

“They did offer me a walk-on spot, but during the meeting they said I wasn't really wanted here”

No one was more shocked that Cole Holmstrom had his scholarship pulled than Cole Holmstrom himself. via Tribune-Star

Full Story
sycamorefollower

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Jun 27, 2008
I don't know what McKenna is thinking about releasing Cole. Obviously he isn't too bright and doesn't understand talent when it is handed to him. Cole is one of the best guards I have ever seen and had a chance to play with. Above all I believe it was a bone-head stupid mistake from the coaching staff of the sycamores mainly McKenna. The Indiana State Sycamores have now lost a vital part in the rebuilding of the team by lossing Cole Holmstrom.
Dave L

United States

#2 Nov 27, 2008
I do not know what McKenna thinks he is doing. He has his team he wanted. We look terrible this year. Haven't seen an ISU team this bad in AGES! I'm worried about the future of this program. I'm very surprised Prettyman has put so much faith in Coach. I see red flags.
confused fan

Terre Haute, IN

#3 Dec 1, 2008
0-5. Horrible. Can't A.D. Prettyman see anything wrong here? Players are leaving our program, some by choice and other times because our coaching staff does nothing to support our players. Indiana State has a lot of talent. We need a coaching staff who will keep players in the program and who supports them. I've heard from reliable sources that Coach disciminates against small players. Anyone heard anything else? That's so wrong. How can you get rid of kids for no reason? Cole was a contributor. What has Brant done other than sitting bench? How can Coach keep players like him around, but get rid of Cole or Lamar Lee? This doesn't make sense, other than Brant is a big body. I agree with you Dave. It's a shame this has happened. I wish our coaching staff would work together and figure this out. Obviously something isn't working.
Lost Program

Terre Haute, IN

#4 Dec 18, 2008
Mistakes have lead to one of the worst products Indiana State has put on the floor in years. This team will be lucky to win 5 games and thats assuming they beat division 3 DePaw this week.
Not to mention they only have 1 scholership next year with the departure of the only SR. Jay Tunnell. With that scholership they are brining in a nice tallent out of Rockville, IN RJ Mahurin (most likely will be an Indaian All Star). They are also attempting to bring in Jake Odum of Terre Haute South who is one of the top PG in the State of IN. I think someone will offer the kid a scholership and ISU is expecting him to walk on next season. Looks like McKenna will have to go taking scholerships from kids again if Odum is going to have money comming his way.
Taking scholerships is a whole other issue. Look I understand that this is a business and you got to do what you got to do to win. But when you take a scholership and you recruit kids that are worse than the kid you took money from. That throws up a BIG red flag. What was he thinking? Not to mention Cole was from Bloomington located pretty close to Terre Haute and in high school he was one of the top tallents in the state like Odum is now.
This is one of the worst division 1 programs in the country right now and their are alot of people to blame. ISU already has the worst football program in the nation what's next? I will tell you basketball, no wonder Larry Bird wont claim ISU.
SHAME!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indiana State Sycamores NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Iowa to face Indiana State in NIT opener (Mar '13) Mar '13 King Fish 2
Sycamore players thrilled wait is over (Oct '09) Oct '09 Jake Kelly Fan 1
Illinois State loss to Indiana State lowers cha... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Cheech 2
Illinois State loses in OT (Jan '09) Jan '09 Butterflywithsore... 1
1st game was the best (Dec '07) Nov '08 GUNNER 38
Indiana State loses fifth straight (Feb '08) Feb '08 Old Roy 1
Ind. State beats Evansville (Jan '08) Jan '08 A Fan 1
More from around the web