Indiana stands tall, beats bigger Gop...

Indiana stands tall, beats bigger Gophers 60-57

There are 41 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 2, 2011, titled Indiana stands tall, beats bigger Gophers 60-57. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

At least future Indiana opponents now have a blueprint. The defensive-minded Pritchard, averaging 1.7 points per game this season, scored a season-high 12 points and helped propel the Hoosiers to a 60-57 Big Ten Conference victory Wednesday over No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

HARD

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Feb 3, 2011
driscoll wrote:
33-35 in Big Ten play in his fourth year. The numbers say it all!!
Mbakwe being suspended) Royce White, Cobbs, Devoe ( who am I forgetting) just plain quit hasnt helped plus Al Nolen couldnt stay in class too pal. In case you havent noticed Nolen broke his foot regulating the Gophers to use a shooting forward at point guard.

Ya sure its the coaches fault.
Twinsfan

Willmar, MN

#22 Feb 3, 2011
Simmer down people. Let's be realistic here. From a year ago, Westbrook and Damian Johnson graduated. Paul Carter wanted to play closer to home. That's three tough guys to replace. No way to predict that Joseph would rather be somewhere where they let him smoke as much pot as he wants...Tubby "drove" him out? I have kids and I don't want them watching a loser like Joseph anyway. No way of knowing Nolen would get hurt. You can't lose your starting backcourt and expect to win big in the Big Ten, it's that simple, no matter how good your frontcourt.
I coached bb 13 years and if your backcourt is weak, a good frontcourt does you no good....and their backcourt is REALLY weak now.
Twinsfan

Willmar, MN

#23 Feb 3, 2011
Ohio State beats Northwestern by one at home. NOTHING is easy in the Big Ten, especially given the losses of players in the last 12 months. I refuse to even mention the biggest loser of them all...Royce White. Tubby would have been crucified by all of you had he not recruited White, but now I'm sure it's his fault he's taken his circus to Iowa State.
brewdude

Saint Paul, MN

#24 Feb 3, 2011
Nothing that a 15-20 million dollar practice facility won't cure.
Franklin Adams

United States

#25 Feb 3, 2011
Shikenjanski wrote:
How can anyone even try to argue that Tubby is not overrated? Other than the one team he was handed by Pitino, he has proven himself to be a very mediocre coach! Enough excuses. How many more years does he get to prove he's not a "barely-make-the-tourney- quick-exit coach"?!
Why is he then in 3rd place with 17 years with 20 wins or more? Lucky? A terrible coach and yet he is 3rd? How? By the way, that is 17 CONSECUTIVE seasons. It seems that you are the one who does not know much about basketball or Tubby Smith's career.
From wikipedia before last years season:

Over his 18 seasons as a head coach, Smith has had 16 twenty-win seasons. In 2005, he joined Roy Williams, Nolan Richardson, Denny Crum and Jim Boeheim as the only head coaches to win 365 games in 15 seasons or less. Entering the 2007 season, Smith's career record was 387-145 and his .733 winning percentage was eighth among active coaches.[5] With Minnesota's invite to the 2009 NCAA tournament, Smith became the fifth coach to lead four different teams to the NCAA tournament.[6]
DOG

Minneapolis, MN

#26 Feb 3, 2011
Coach Dutcher used to say you cannot win in the Big 10 without good guards. Simple enough.
surebetgn

Cold Spring, MN

#27 Feb 3, 2011
If this is the Blue-print on what type of basketball the gophers have left in them for the rest of the year..........There is always Next Year! LETS GO TWINS..........
surebetgn

Cold Spring, MN

#28 Feb 3, 2011
Twinsfan wrote:
Ohio State beats Northwestern by one at home. NOTHING is easy in the Big Ten, especially given the losses of players in the last 12 months. I refuse to even mention the biggest loser of them all...Royce White. Tubby would have been crucified by all of you had he not recruited White, but now I'm sure it's his fault he's taken his circus to Iowa State.
Bottom Line...Good teams always find ways to win, even on a rotten day! Win by 1 point or 50 points, Ohio still found a way to win, and nobody will remember this in the win and lose column!
surebetgn

Cold Spring, MN

#29 Feb 3, 2011
Franklin Adams wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is he then in 3rd place with 17 years with 20 wins or more? Lucky? A terrible coach and yet he is 3rd? How? By the way, that is 17 CONSECUTIVE seasons. It seems that you are the one who does not know much about basketball or Tubby Smith's career.
Over his 18 seasons as a head coach, Smith has had 16 twenty-win seasons. In 2005, he joined Roy Williams, Nolan Richardson, Denny Crum and Jim Boeheim as the only head coaches to win 365 games in 15 seasons or less. Entering the 2007 season, Smith's career record was 387-145 and his .733 winning percentage was eighth among active coaches.[5] With Minnesota's invite to the 2009 NCAA tournament, Smith became the fifth coach to lead four different teams to the NCAA tournament.[6]
Let you in a little secret: Smith coached in a different conferences and better quality of players! Also, the quality players wanted to play at the univerities where Smith coached at before Minnesota. The Grade A players play elsewhere!
Franklin Adams

United States

#30 Feb 3, 2011
surebetgn wrote:
<quoted text>Let you in a little secret: Smith coached in a different conferences and better quality of players! Also, the quality players wanted to play at the univerities where Smith coached at before Minnesota. The Grade A players play elsewhere!
Why haven't more coaches accomplished the same? Pretty weak arguement. Grade A players, you think none have played at the U? They have before and they will again.
surebetgn

Cold Spring, MN

#31 Feb 3, 2011
HARD wrote:
<quoted text>
Mbakwe being suspended) Royce White, Cobbs, Devoe ( who am I forgetting) just plain quit hasnt helped plus Al Nolen couldnt stay in class too pal. In case you havent noticed Nolen broke his foot regulating the Gophers to use a shooting forward at point guard.
Ya sure its the coaches fault.
Excuses, Excuses......Indiana played last night without their allstar player, and still won! What's the matter with the Gophers? The players that left the program here at U of MN wanted to be elsewhere, and it doesn't matter what their reasons were. They did not want to be HERE!!!!!!!!!! Quality players are not attracted to this program and environment in MN. The thugs try to cut it here like White, and many others before and currently, but cannot stay out of trouble. Just ask Mbakwe about his ability to focus on school and sports, and following the set of rules laid out by coach Smith. Players such as Mbakwe and Royce White have problems in a very controlled environment and that's why players like them go to other laid back programs and the coaches there tolerate that type of behavior. Since coach Haskins left his share of problems behind at the U of MN and coach Munson succeeded him. Now coach Smith is the type of coach with a foundation and discipline are demanded and needed on a coach's resume at the University of Minnesota now and in the future on this campus. Maybe this will all change again with a new President coming in this summer at the University. Will Maturi will get his walking papers as Athletic Director?
surebetgn

Cold Spring, MN

#32 Feb 3, 2011
Franklin Adams wrote:
<quoted text>
Why haven't more coaches accomplished the same? Pretty weak arguement. Grade A players, you think none have played at the U? They have before and they will again.
Don't get me wrong, their have been some outstanding players that have came out of the U of MN basketball over the years. I'm speaking and commenting on what is going on now!
The Loon

Scandia, MN

#33 Feb 3, 2011
Shikenjanski wrote:
<quoted text>
And who drove Joseph out? the coach! Don't be afraid to blame the untouchable Tubby!
And here I thought it was all about smoking pot. Oh, but then you are from California.
Maroon and Gold in Wisc

Saint Paul, MN

#34 Feb 3, 2011
DOG wrote:
Coach Dutcher used to say you cannot win in the Big 10 without good guards. Simple enough.
I don't see anywhere that Tubby is recruiting a point guard. I don't understand that at all. Tubby is a good coach and a "character" guy, but he still needs to get out and get a point guard. His last two(Including this years) recruiting classes have not been that good.
petey

Eden Prairie, MN

#35 Feb 3, 2011
Franklin Adams wrote:
<quoted text>
Tubby is 33-35 in Big Ten games-hardly Hall of Fame material. He was let go at KY-stop apologizing for antoher failed Gopher team.Forget all the creampuff games-what was his conference record at KY where he was known as 10 loss Tubby . Wy are saps like you happy with mediocrity?
The Loon

Scandia, MN

#36 Feb 3, 2011
Oh, let us be unhappy with who we are this year. Notice how that one little change makes everything a crisis?

Since: Feb 08

Rochester, MN

#37 Feb 3, 2011
brewdude wrote:
Nothing that a 15-20 million dollar practice facility won't cure.
Would the new facility have rims the size of hula hoops? That's the only way this bunch could make anything. Maybe they can use bigger rims and smaller balls like the women use?
Franklin Adams

United States

#38 Feb 4, 2011
petey wrote:
<quoted text>Tubby is 33-35 in Big Ten games-hardly Hall of Fame material. He was let go at KY-stop apologizing for antoher failed Gopher team.Forget all the creampuff games-what was his conference record at KY where he was known as 10 loss Tubby . Wy are saps like you happy with mediocrity?
Now Petey, is it really necessary to call names? Your debate loses credibility instantly when you start the name calling.

Yes, Tubby is 33-35 in Big Ten games. Would you agree that there has been some bad luck with players and recruits? Snakebit comes to mind. Show me where he was let go at Kentucky. I would like to see proof of that. And once again, his career record and 20 win season streak is matched by almost no one. Why is that?
Shikenjanski

United States

#39 Feb 5, 2011
Franklin Adams wrote:
<quoted text>
Now Petey, is it really necessary to call names? Your debate loses credibility instantly when you start the name calling.
Yes, Tubby is 33-35 in Big Ten games. Would you agree that there has been some bad luck with players and recruits? Snakebit comes to mind. Show me where he was let go at Kentucky. I would like to see proof of that. And once again, his career record and 20 win season streak is matched by almost no one. Why is that?
Yes, 20 wins is good and very respectable. That said, why is that some lofty goal and incredible achievement for you? If that's all it takes to make you happy then good for you and congratulations on another happy season for you. Personally, I'd like to see them be consistently in the top-20 (not lose as soon and win a couple tourney games here and there. I don't think that's too much to ask.

You claim I don't know basketball yet you're the one using Wikipedia for your argument. I'll use the play on the court. The fact is that their offense is putrid and even Tubby's supposed specialty, defense, has been letting them down in key moments. Also, they are atrocious in defending the three-point line. In my opinion, Tubby has gotten this team to his usual 20-win plateau and there they sit and with a less than impressive recruiting class coming in I don't see them improving on that.
Shikenjanski

United States

#40 Feb 5, 2011
.....oops... didn't finish editing before I posted.

meant to say I'd like to see them consistently stay in the top-20 and not lose as soon as they get there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Indiana Hoosiers NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Hanner Mosquera-Perea Headed to the Bench? (Jan '15) Jan '15 Mike Williams 1
News Iu Ad Glass lays down the law on misbehaving ba... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Marv 1
News Indiana Basketball: 2015 Forward Juwan Morgan C... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Mike Williams 1
News Indiana Basketball: Mixed Preseason Predictions... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Mike Williams 1
News Addition of Emmitt Holt is "Big" for Indiana (Aug '14) Aug '14 Mike Williams 1
News Ex-Hoosier Zeller embraces NBA learning (Aug '14) Aug '14 Mike Williams 1
News Sheehey To Begin Professional Career in Europe (Aug '14) Aug '14 Mike Williams 1
More from around the web