Indiana stands tall, beats bigger Gophers 60-57

Full story: TwinCities.com

At least future Indiana opponents now have a blueprint. The defensive-minded Pritchard, averaging 1.7 points per game this season, scored a season-high 12 points and helped propel the Hoosiers to a 60-57 Big Ten Conference victory Wednesday over No.
Comments
1 - 20 of 41 Comments Last updated Feb 7, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
driscoll

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

Judged:

What a disgrace. Tubby is showing why he was let go at KY. What a bust. Gopher sports are a joke just like all the others in this state--LOSERS!!

Since: Feb 08

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

Judged:

Abolutely pathetic effort by the Gophers -- they were outhustled, outplayed, and outcoached. They cannot win if Hoffarber has to handle the ball all the time. He is the only shooter we have outside. IU didn't even attempt to guard the wings tonight, they invited us to shoot a much as we wanted. Ahanmisi and Armelin can't handle the ball and neither can knock down a shot. Was it any surprise that we failed to get off a shot at the end? Anhanmisi would've dribbled out the clock in a panic if Tubby didn't call time out. Then he throws an awful pass to Hoff which he has to just throw at the basket. This was a game you HAVE to win to get in the tourney. I hope there's some help on the way next year, we need point guards and shooters!
Brett Favre

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

Another Minnesota team giving false hope...
toivo2feathers

Wenatchee, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

Judged:

You are way to apologetic. Tubby didnt prepare at all. This team is a pathetic shooting team. Cant shoot free thows and guys wide open on the 3pt.line who wont even attempt a shot. Indiana posessed the one thing that counted tonight---PRIDE!
Phil

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

Judged:

I have said it all year; if the Gophers are going to shoot fifty-percent from the free-throw line then they will lose a few games that they would otherwise win; this was such a game. Shoot a pedestrian seventy-five percent and the game is in the win column in spite of the other problems. But this team does not seem to care about it's poor free-throw shooting to work on improvement so they will have to walk the tightrope with it all season I guess.
Cannot believe it

Champlin, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

Wow! Nothing else to say. It's the either the Gophers can't play good ball or the coaching sucks. How do you loose to a team without their best player?
The Loon

Saginaw, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

Phil wrote:
I have said it all year; if the Gophers are going to shoot fifty-percent from the free-throw line then they will lose a few games that they would otherwise win; this was such a game. Shoot a pedestrian seventy-five percent and the game is in the win column in spite of the other problems. But this team does not seem to care about it's poor free-throw shooting to work on improvement so they will have to walk the tightrope with it all season I guess.
If you knew BB at all you would know that teaching free throw shooting is not possible if the guys are not naturally good shooters. The two technical misses by Hoffarber were the surprising part of our woes.
The Loon

Saginaw, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

Judged:

Cannot believe it wrote:
Wow! Nothing else to say. It's the either the Gophers can't play good ball or the coaching sucks. How do you loose to a team without their best player?
Perhaps by missing both your best guards (Nolen and Joseph)?

The only good thing to come out of this utterly ugly, ugly loss is that Hollins has earned a starting spot on the team. We can not leave Hoffarber out there without another ball handler or outside shooter. The "all big" lineup just can not cope with Big Ten quickness.

May I also post the obvious? The guy that has killed this team is the guy that quit on his team, his team mates and himself. Devoe Joseph. Once he quit we were down to Nolen and we were one injury away from a disaster. Our society today has too many young men and women who have zero self control. Devoe is just our BB player of this season to show this key failure.
DOG

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

$ 2 milion for the head coach and $ 200,000 to at least $ 300,00 for assistantcoaches and the team is inept and in their GMA offense, meaning general milling around. There is an old saying "can't shoot, don't recruit." If Wisconsincan shoot over 90 percent on free throws using Minnesota rejects why can't these overpaid coaches get similar results as Bo Ryan's troops? The team seems 4F meaning feeble, fumbling, fidgity and floundering.
Shikenjanski

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

Judged:

How can anyone even try to argue that Tubby is not overrated? Other than the one team he was handed by Pitino, he has proven himself to be a very mediocre coach! Enough excuses. How many more years does he get to prove he's not a "barely-make-the-tourney- quick-exit coach"?!
Shikenjanski

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

The Loon wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps by missing both your best guards (Nolen and Joseph)?
The only good thing to come out of this utterly ugly, ugly loss is that Hollins has earned a starting spot on the team. We can not leave Hoffarber out there without another ball handler or outside shooter. The "all big" lineup just can not cope with Big Ten quickness.
May I also post the obvious? The guy that has killed this team is the guy that quit on his team, his team mates and himself. Devoe Joseph. Once he quit we were down to Nolen and we were one injury away from a disaster. Our society today has too many young men and women who have zero self control. Devoe is just our BB player of this season to show this key failure.
And who drove Joseph out? the coach! Don't be afraid to blame the untouchable Tubby!
driscoll

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

Plain and simple--Tubby is an overpaid bust!!
driscoll

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

33-35 in Big Ten play in his fourth year. The numbers say it all!!
the real just another day

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

Just another day in loserville....
Jackie

Babbitt, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

Judged:

The play of the game was when in the last minute the ball was thrown off the leg of Iverson and the Gophers recovered it and it was ruled he kicked it and the Hoosiers ended up with the three pointer. I grant it the Gophers were extremely lathargic in the first half but this bad call was the difference at the end as well as their inability to shoot free throws..

Since: Jul 08

St. Paul

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

Judged:

Jackie wrote:
The play of the game was when in the last minute the ball was thrown off the leg of Iverson and the Gophers recovered it and it was ruled he kicked it and the Hoosiers ended up with the three pointer. I grant it the Gophers were extremely lathargic in the first half but this bad call was the difference at the end as well as their inability to shoot free throws..
Seriously? A bad call was the difference? This is a game the Gophers should have won by double digits, but the team came in lethargic, lazy, and feeling like they had won it before the game had even started. Arrogance and poor play lost this game, not the ref.
Hawkshaw

Inver Grove Heights, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

I wasted 1/2 hour watching these stiffs! I've changed my predictions for a 5th to a 7th place finish in the Big 10. NIT maybe the best bet for the gophers to play more than 1 post season game.
bruciejo

Detroit Lakes, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

With the recruits Crean has comming in, half of this team will be playing intermural ball in two years. Rebounds weren't the problem-- turnovers cost us this game!! How many passes weren't touched before they went out of bounds!! Can Hollins play point?? Only bright spot last night!!!
wisconsinplantjo elmaturi

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

Hey now....how dare all you gopher fans critizize a living ledgend in Tubby Smith! After all he won a national championship! Gopher sports is not about wins and losses. You should all be happy just watching "a living ledgend" coach on the sidelines. Thanks all you suckers.....whoops I mean gopher sports boosters.
HARD

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

Judged:

RALPH SAMPSON!! sheesh! We are happy for you you can hit a jumper from the free throw line but PLEASE PLEASE grow some cahonas and dunk HARD on someone !!!!!! Go HARD for a rebound! You are softer than vanilla pudding you pansy! And WTH is that lazy half-aassed "hooK" or what ever that ugly brick is called?.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Indiana Hoosiers NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the Indiana Hoosiers NCAA Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Oakville basketball stars choosing different paths May '14 Stephen Sutton 1
NBA Rookie Projections: Cody Zeller (Sep '13) Mar '14 arja4444 2
IU 's Tom Crean not up for the task Feb '14 arja4444 1
Beat writers discuss Indiana-Purdue game Feb '14 arja4444 1
How blind can people be? Feb '14 arja4444 1
College basketball roundup: Northwestern cashes... (Jan '14) Jan '14 LTW 2
Indiana Basketball: Biggest Lessons Learned in ... (Jan '14) Jan '14 LTW 1
•••
•••