OSU-Illinois preview | BuckeyeXtra

He also had trouble matching up with Illinois' taller freshman, 6-foot-7 Jereme Richmond, in the teams' first meeting in Champaign. Full Story

“Bleeding Scarlet and Gray!”

Since: Sep 09

Worthington

#1 Feb 22, 2011
Time to shoot down the Illini hopes of making the tournament. Go Bucks!
Beckybuck

South Boston, VA

#2 Feb 22, 2011
Hey Coach, Howabout you bench the rock throwers Lighty and especially Thomas. They are the reason the team is in the dumps, boy what a sad fall from grace!

Other teams have found the way to beat the team...where is that outside shooting (NO rocker throwers please!)

Worthington

#3 Feb 22, 2011
Beckybuck wrote:
Hey Coach, Howabout you bench the rock throwers Lighty and especially Thomas. They are the reason the team is in the dumps, boy what a sad fall from grace!
Other teams have found the way to beat the team...where is that outside shooting (NO rocker throwers please!)
Settle down there Becky. I understand the frustration with Thomas because he has been consistent in not performing. But bench Lighty? Did you just start watching games over the past week? He is a leader on this team and had a bad week. There have been plenty of games where he has hit outside shots left and right and drove to the basket and made some great shots. If you honestly think Lighty needs benched, you either just started watching games or know nothing at all about basketball.
Trifecta

Boalsburg, PA

#4 Feb 22, 2011
In defense of Thomas, wasn't he the one who hit some pretty clutch 3's in our comeback win @ Illinois? Also, I remember Diebler shooting terribly as a freshman (27% on 3's). How did that turn out for him? That's right, Big Ten's all time leader in 3pt fg's. Go Bucks!

Worthington

#5 Feb 22, 2011
Trifecta wrote:
In defense of Thomas, wasn't he the one who hit some pretty clutch 3's in our comeback win @ Illinois? Also, I remember Diebler shooting terribly as a freshman (27% on 3's). How did that turn out for him? That's right, Big Ten's all time leader in 3pt fg's. Go Bucks!
Yes, in one game he hit two shots. In the 7 games since, he has had one good game. The game after the Illinois game against Purdue where everyone had a good game. Since then, he has 7 points and is 3-22 shooting. 0-5 from 3. I think Thomas will be good, but right now coming down the stretch isn't the time to give him the practice. He is a liability on offense as of RIGHT NOW, and has been a big liability on defense for most of his minutes. He should develop next year well though.
Trifecta

Boalsburg, PA

#6 Feb 22, 2011
FlaBuck: Completely agree with you that Thomas has done poorly the past few games. However, I'd rather give him some shots right now in the hopes that he can improve come tournament time (although you seem quite pessimistic he won't; can't fault you based on his recent stats). Come tourney time, it'll be imperative to get points from a variety of players especially when we struggle with cold shooting and when our key scorers get into foul trouble (i.e. Sullinger and Buford on Sunday). If not tonight, maybe the Indiana game gets Thomas on the right path? Beat the Illini!

Worthington

#7 Feb 22, 2011
Trifecta wrote:
FlaBuck: Completely agree with you that Thomas has done poorly the past few games. However, I'd rather give him some shots right now in the hopes that he can improve come tournament time (although you seem quite pessimistic he won't; can't fault you based on his recent stats). Come tourney time, it'll be imperative to get points from a variety of players especially when we struggle with cold shooting and when our key scorers get into foul trouble (i.e. Sullinger and Buford on Sunday). If not tonight, maybe the Indiana game gets Thomas on the right path? Beat the Illini!
Yeah, 4/5 of the way through the season if Thomas hasn't shown improvement, I think it's time to just use him sparingly to give a couple minutes rest then try to develop him next year. Right now, it is extremely important that everyone else gets back to hitting open shots and playing team defense. Maybe vs. Indiana Thomas will have a good game because of his Indiana ties, but I wouldn't trust one good game going into the tournaments.
Two times two

Columbus, OH

#8 Feb 22, 2011
Beckybuck wrote:
They are the reason the team is in the dumps, boy what a sad fall from grace!)
Fell from where? You're kidding, right?
2Many 3Balls

Westerville, OH

#9 Feb 22, 2011
How many three balls will the Bucks give up in the first half 10? 12? 14? This is f-ing pathetic. Do something Matta. You are the coach!!!!

Worthington

#10 Feb 23, 2011
Beckybuck wrote:
Man, they should have benched Lighty. He had a terrible game last night. Only 21 points and 6 steals that turned into points. I mean, you have to bench a 5th year senior that is always extremely productive on defense and offense as well when he has a couple off games right? Becky, I would suggest you stick to something you are more familiar with.

Worthington

#11 Feb 23, 2011
2Many 3Balls wrote:
How many three balls will the Bucks give up in the first half 10? 12? 14? This is **** pathetic. Do something Matta. You are the coach!!!!
They contested a good portion of the 3 balls. When they are throwing up shots from 3 feet outside the 3 point line and have a center that shoots the 3 extremely well, there isn't much you can do aside from beating them on offense...which they did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illinois Fighting Illini NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UNLV eliminated from NCAA Tournament after loss... (Mar '11) Mar '13 Anon 2
Recap: Illinois vs. Wisconsin (Feb '13) Feb '13 Basketball 54 1
Michael Jordan son: Marcus Jordan sets sights o... (Mar '09) Apr '12 Sandokan 10
Illinois suspends sophomore guard Head (Nov '11) Nov '11 fred barefield 1
Jeff Jordan, Michael's son, leaves Illinois bas... (Jun '09) Oct '11 fred barefield 160
Men's basketball: Ohio State rallies to overcom... (Jan '11) Jan '11 oblong 46
Men's basketball | Ohio State 73, Illinois 68: ... (Jan '11) Jan '11 billwo 20
More from around the web