Bulldogs able to hold off Braves' charge

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

The Butler basketball buzz before Wednesday night's game was about an athletic forward coming off the bench.
Comments
21 - 40 of 40 Comments Last updated Dec 20, 2007
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
perry

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Long time fan wrote:
The Horizon League really needs to address the quality of the officials they send to games. When both coaches get T'd up for reactions to calls, you know something is wrong. Especially poor, is the taller, gray hair streaked ref; could his name be Steve Skiles? We have seen him before this year, at OSU game.
Previously, this league had good refs and we now see them in the bigger conference games even the NCAA tournaments, for example, Sancerre and Welmer.
Horizon League never has had good refs...I've gone to games at Butler, Milwaukee, UIC for past 10 yrs and all games have had bad refs. Refs are not accountable for calls after the game in NCAA or NBA so they do as they please...take money away from refs for each bad call after the game....make NCAA and refs watch video of game and after 3 games of bad calls they can't ref anymore.
IU Grad

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

I am a huge IU basketball fan.

However, I go to Hinkle 3 to 4 times per year to watch what I would term ""real college basketball""

I grew up in Bloomington and Butler basketball is what IU basketball was before Assembly Hall.

It is ""real"" students who will be there for 4 years who love the game and actually are coachable players.

Butler has played the best basketball the past 10 years of any Indiana school and even though they may not have the NBA players they can play with anyone and are 10 times more fun to watch as they actually play as a team.

Plus Hinkle Fieldhouse is an additional bonus and is truly the Wrigley Field of basketball.

Wake up IU, Pacer, Purdue, ND fans you are only cheating yourself if you do not go to Hinkle once or twice per year.

Plus the Horizon league is better than you might think.
HA HA

Arcadia, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

BUTLER BASKETBALL Denver wrote:
The poor kids from IU/PU just can't contain themselves from being green with envy espically with their endless cupcake schedule......Butler is a Top Ten team and if they take care of business will be there when it matters. Could this team be any deeper going what 9-10 deep!
ELITE 8 IN '08
MERRY CHRISTMAS
My girl's high school basketball team was able to pull in over 1500 fans for games. If Butler is a "Top Ten" team, why can't you get anyone to watch them? Indy has 1 million people in it, it if was that exciting or they were that great of a team, you could get 8,000-10,000 to show up. Out after 2nd round-easy. Plus, you're only hoping for Elite eight- shouldn't you be hoping for a Final Four or Championship if they are that good. Way to aim for mediocrity.
barbara billingham

Dublin, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Congrats to Avery Jukes!!!
barbara billingham

Dublin, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

HA HA wrote:
<quoted text>
My girl's high school basketball team was able to pull in over 1500 fans for games. If Butler is a "Top Ten" team, why can't you get anyone to watch them? Indy has 1 million people in it, it if was that exciting or they were that great of a team, you could get 8,000-10,000 to show up. Out after 2nd round-easy. Plus, you're only hoping for Elite eight- shouldn't you be hoping for a Final Four or Championship if they are that good. Way to aim for mediocrity.
Why post here? What a loser you are!
PaulBulldog

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

HA HA wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the difference between Butler fans and you is that we understand that aiming for this or that doesn't get you there. Our team works hard, plays hard, plays unselfishly, takes one game at a time, and doesn't underestimate any opponent. You do those things and the wins and losses take care of themselves.

Aiming for this, settling for that and bragging about what you are going to accomplish next year doesn't lead to winning. At the end of last season I would say Butler's way of doing things worked out pretty well. A sweet sixteen appearance and we played the two-time national champ Florida as tough or tougher than anyone else did.

Go Bulldogs!
Kent

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Attendance: 4,596.

Nice going Barry. Last year we would have been there.
Kent

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Butler Man wrote:
The casual basketball fan in Indy will buy a 10 dollar Pacer's ticket over a 20 Butler ticket any day of the week.
Bingo.
Kent

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Butler Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Last night's attendance...
Pacers: 10,265
Butler: 4,596
I'm just frustrated that ticket prices were raised on a year when we could have filled the stands. I guess money is more important than creating a truly electric atmosphere.
If Barry has less butts in the seats but more money in the box office he'll take the box office every time. Butler used to be different. The Butler Way is what was important, now it's just the money like nearly every other university.
Kent

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

BUTLER BASKETBALL Denver wrote:
Butler is a Top Ten team
Hardly. Why take what is an excellent team to the ridiculous extreme.
Dogs

Pryor, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

There are several reasons why Butler's attendance isn't anywhere near where it should be for a few reasons:
1) The entire student body is only 4,000. That is roughly the number of seats Purdue and IU both reserve for their students - 13% of their student bodies. If we get 13% of the student body that is roughly 520 students.
2)Ticket prices are a little higher this year and are keeping some away.
3)There are only 30,000 living Butler alumni, as opposed to large school's hundred's of thousands of alumni. You would have to have 1/3 of all living alumni at the game to fill Hinkle.
4)And finally, people in this city are so brainwashed on IU that they fail to recognize a quality basketball program is literally right down the street.
Dogs

Pryor, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Stop complaining about prices. You could have went to the game for $15 last night if you brought 1 can food item, that isn't that expensive to see quality entertainment.
WRONG

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Butler Man wrote:
It was great to see Brad get "T"ed up last night. The Dawgs responded with energy and focus and it really brought the crowd back into it after seeing a 20 point lead dwindle to 6.
As for the crowd, it was a decent turnout considering ticket prices. Apparently the higher-ups forgot that we are in the Horizon League and that we only sell out one or two games a year. The casual basketball fan in Indy will buy a 10 dollar Pacer's ticket over a 20 Butler ticket any day of the week.
You have forgotten that NO ONE wants to go to a PACER game--might as well watch "pro" wrestling on the telly. or the hunting channel--same type of play...

I turned down a free front row floor ticket to the Pacers a couple days ago but would go see the Butler Dawgs anytime.
soooooo

Arcadia, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Kent wrote:
Attendance: 4,596.
Nice going Barry. Last year we would have been there.
Butler students and alums will pay out the butt for a fairly unknown education (except pharmacy)- but they will not pay to see an excellent, fundamentally sound basketball team. Makes sense, I see that education didn't improve your wisdom.
too far away

Sarasota, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

complaining about ticket prices is lame. Don't go if you can't afford it, and if you truly can't afford i know you didn't go to butler.

complaining about barrry collier is ignorant. He started this whole thing in 1989 and i bet any college in the state would be happy to trade rosters right now. What bu has accomplished was inconceivable 20 years ago. Back then we were lucky to draw 100 students and 1000 fans.
Wrong

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

soooooo wrote:
<quoted text>
Butler students and alums will pay out the butt for a fairly unknown education (except pharmacy)- but they will not pay to see an excellent, fundamentally sound basketball team. Makes sense, I see that education didn't improve your wisdom.
Butler is a liberal arts school idiot. Not all of Butler's students are "general studies" majors like they are at IU or Purdue where kids either don't have to attend class or the classes don't require them to actually study. Most majors at BU require you to maintain a certain GPA and if you don't, you're kicked out of the program. Good luck getting kids at the state schools to maintain above average GPA's for 4 years. It sounds like you went to one of those state schools.
RDRID

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

IU Grad -- I want to thank you for your fair and balanced view of Butler basketball. You obviously know the game and realize what it takes for small schools like Butler to perform at a high level. I for one couldn't be happier to have you on board as a Bulldog fan. Like you, I wish IU would return to the days of doing things the right way. Maybe, just maybe, the NCAA will help clean things up. Thanks again for your support.
Long time fan

South Vienna, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
Its a good win for the Dawgs as Bradley was ranked earlier this year. Albeit they arent the same team as they were a month ago.
I did a double take when I saw that attendance number. I know its Christmas break, but come on. I bet if you take all the top 25 teams at the end of the year and average their home attendace that Butler would be by far the lowest. Most big high schools in Indiana put more fans in the stands than that.
I forgot to mention......I joined the Horizon Network online last night just so I could watch the game for a little bit. FYI to the Horizon League......its 2007. Its ok to have a streaming video feed that I can actually see and hear. Really.
I will take your bet on where Butler stands in average attendance at the end of the year....in the Sweet 16 that is. IU's attendance in the Sweet 16 will probably be zero, because they won't be there.
Ubie

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

WBrown Memphis wrote:
Kent, four posts in a row hating...do you have a life? Oh, probably not seeing that you are quoting girl's high school basketball attendance numbers. Awesome dude. Hit me up with your tight new years plans, I bet they are awesome...or a night of video games, blow up dolls and jergans. Dork
Wasn't Kent quoting girl's HS attendance numbers, numbskull. I know many folks that aren't attending games this year because of the prices. A lot of them are senior men that used to really enjoy a game at Hinkle. No more.
Ubie

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

too far away wrote:
complaining about ticket prices is lame. Don't go if you can't afford it, and if you truly can't afford i know you didn't go to butler.
complaining about barrry collier is ignorant. He started this whole thing in 1989 and i bet any college in the state would be happy to trade rosters right now. What bu has accomplished was inconceivable 20 years ago. Back then we were lucky to draw 100 students and 1000 fans.
Which could happen again if there are a couple of lean years, and there will be.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Howard University NCAA Discussions

Search the Howard University NCAA Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Hot shooting lifts Howard over Coppin State 70-60 (Jan '13) Jan '13 COPPIN EAGLE 1
Colonials regain touch in 2nd half, top the Bison (Jan '10) Jan '10 Concerned 1
Butler basketball team wins with 3-pointers (Nov '07) Mar '09 MEEE 4
State college basketball roundup: Navy beats Ho... (Nov '08) Nov '08 rtyh 3
Howard's dirty work saves Butler (Dec '07) Oct '08 teamwork1 41
Overtime payoff (Oct '08) Oct '08 Gary 1
Freshman linebacker playing like a veteran for ... (Sep '08) Sep '08 Sean Brown 3
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••