Bulldogs able to hold off Braves' charge

Bulldogs able to hold off Braves' charge

There are 40 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Dec 19, 2007, titled Bulldogs able to hold off Braves' charge. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The Butler basketball buzz before Wednesday night's game was about an athletic forward coming off the bench.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lets go Hoosiers

United States

#1 Dec 20, 2007
Its a good win for the Dawgs as Bradley was ranked earlier this year. Albeit they arent the same team as they were a month ago.

I did a double take when I saw that attendance number. I know its Christmas break, but come on. I bet if you take all the top 25 teams at the end of the year and average their home attendace that Butler would be by far the lowest. Most big high schools in Indiana put more fans in the stands than that.

I forgot to mention......I joined the Horizon Network online last night just so I could watch the game for a little bit. FYI to the Horizon League......its 2007. Its ok to have a streaming video feed that I can actually see and hear. Really.
Bulldog Fan Todd

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Dec 20, 2007
I had to watch the game online last night. Thank's the the Horizon League for being kind enough to offer free broadcast of nontelevisied games.
I saw a lot of things I liked, but the Dawgs are far from playing at their best. If this team pulls it all together they could and should be better and do more than last year's group.
The younger players are not only adding a lot now, but giving me hope for next year after we lose our five seniors.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of Jukes. He was part of a real heads up play at the end of last night's game. If he is anything close to this season's nicest surprise (Matt Howard) he'll bring a lot off the bench and a lot to the floor.
The Dawgs are showing more and more depth off the bench and that is another unexpected surprise as well.
If Coach Stevens gets these guys playing smoother then look out. There won't be much the Bulldogs can't accomplish this year.

“Butler Wins”

Since: Jan 07

Plainfield

#3 Dec 20, 2007
Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
I joined the Horizon Network online last night just so I could watch the game for a little bit. FYI to the Horizon League......its 2007. Its ok to have a streaming video feed that I can actually see and hear. Really.
I would agree that the video feed is far from the best, but the Horizon League realizes that as well. That's why they don't charge to watch the broadcast online.
The Vinrod

Delaware, OH

#4 Dec 20, 2007
It was the Willie Veasley show last night. Awesome to see younger guys step up. Brad showed a lot of confidence in his young bench. We'll need more of that as the year progresses.

Speaking of attendance, it looked more like 6000 fans last night, not 4500. I don't know how accurate that "official" count was.
Butler Man

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Dec 20, 2007
It was great to see Brad get "T"ed up last night. The Dawgs responded with energy and focus and it really brought the crowd back into it after seeing a 20 point lead dwindle to 6.

As for the crowd, it was a decent turnout considering ticket prices. Apparently the higher-ups forgot that we are in the Horizon League and that we only sell out one or two games a year. The casual basketball fan in Indy will buy a 10 dollar Pacer's ticket over a 20 Butler ticket any day of the week.
Chad

Louisville, KY

#6 Dec 20, 2007
Things I have learned from Lets Go Hoosiers:

Hinkle Fieldhouse is tiny.
Butler can't compete with OSU on the interior(Howard had 26).
Butler can't recruit.
This years Butler team is a fluke.
The FREE Horizon League feed isn't up to his high standards, but Kelvin Sampson is.
Butler's schedule is too easy.
A sweet sixteen is the best we can ever hope for.

LetsGo you are a true idiot.....
jeez

Fishers, IN

#7 Dec 20, 2007
Butler Man wrote:
The casual basketball fan in Indy will buy a 10 dollar Pacer's ticket over a 20 Butler ticket any day of the week.
No way. Your $10 Pacer's ticket + Parking versus Kids that actually care. You're less likely to get shot by the players at a Bulldogs game.

Whoever says Butler is Overrated and is a fluke... look at the past 5-10 years.
Long time fan

Jeffersonville, OH

#8 Dec 20, 2007
Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
Its a good win for the Dawgs as Bradley was ranked earlier this year. Albeit they arent the same team as they were a month ago.
I did a double take when I saw that attendance number. I know its Christmas break, but come on. I bet if you take all the top 25 teams at the end of the year and average their home attendace that Butler would be by far the lowest. Most big high schools in Indiana put more fans in the stands than that.
I forgot to mention......I joined the Horizon Network online last night just so I could watch the game for a little bit. FYI to the Horizon League......its 2007. Its ok to have a streaming video feed that I can actually see and hear. Really.
As an IU alum, you embarrass me with your ignorance. A double take on the attendance number? How could you tell watching on the low quality Internet coverage? I was there and the number was accurate. As to putting fans in the seats, go watch a high school game then. That is about your intellectual level. You might want to go down even further to TAB or CYO.
Long time fan

Jeffersonville, OH

#9 Dec 20, 2007
The Horizon League really needs to address the quality of the officials they send to games. When both coaches get T'd up for reactions to calls, you know something is wrong. Especially poor, is the taller, gray hair streaked ref; could his name be Steve Skiles? We have seen him before this year, at OSU game. Previously, this league had good refs and we now see them in the bigger conference games even the NCAA tournaments, for example, Sancerre and Welmer.
Brian

East Lansing, MI

#10 Dec 20, 2007
Chad wrote:
Things I have learned from Lets Go Hoosiers:
Hinkle Fieldhouse is tiny.
Butler can't compete with OSU on the interior(Howard had 26).
Butler can't recruit.
This years Butler team is a fluke.
The FREE Horizon League feed isn't up to his high standards, but Kelvin Sampson is.
Butler's schedule is too easy.
A sweet sixteen is the best we can ever hope for.
LetsGo you are a true idiot.....
Sorry to get off topic, but Chad, is that Pendelton County or Pendleton in Henry County?
Go Dawgs!
BU Ticket Holder

Carmel, IN

#11 Dec 20, 2007
So get off your couch and go to Hinkle then. Oh that's right you have said in the past Hinkle is a barn and smells bad.
Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
Smalligan

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Dec 20, 2007
Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
You know, it's ok to go to Hinkle, help those attendance numbers, and watch them in person instead of a poor internet feed. Really. Did you really just comment on the low attendance and then turn around and b*tch about the poor quality of the FREE webcast?
Butler Man

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Dec 20, 2007
jeez wrote:
<quoted text>
No way. Your $10 Pacer's ticket + Parking versus Kids that actually care. You're less likely to get shot by the players at a Bulldogs game.
Last night's attendance...

Pacers: 10,265

Butler: 4,596

I'm just frustrated that ticket prices were raised on a year when we could have filled the stands. I guess money is more important than creating a truly electric atmosphere.
BUTLER BASKETBALL Denver

AOL

#14 Dec 20, 2007
The poor kids from IU/PU just can't contain themselves from being green with envy espically with their endless cupcake schedule......Butler is a Top Ten team and if they take care of business will be there when it matters. Could this team be any deeper going what 9-10 deep!
ELITE 8 IN '08
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Nathan

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Dec 20, 2007
The refs were terrible, both sides of the ball. Yeah, especially that gray-haired one.

Otherwise, good win.
Hug-a-Tree

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Dec 20, 2007
I was at the game last night. It was great! GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!
Chad

Louisville, KY

#17 Dec 20, 2007
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to get off topic, but Chad, is that Pendelton County or Pendleton in Henry County?
Go Dawgs!
To be honest I don't have a clue where Pendleton KY is or why it prints as my location.
Let them play

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Dec 20, 2007
That was ridiculous almost 50 fouls. Half of them weren't fouls and it seemed every other time Bradley scored they were called for an offensive foul. Matt Howard had 5 fouls in the second half, LOL.
Hot Diggity Dog

Ft Mitchell, KY

#19 Dec 20, 2007
Nathan wrote:
The refs were terrible, both sides of the ball. Yeah, especially that gray-haired one.
Otherwise, good win.
This is absolutely right. That gray-haired ref had a really bad night.

The play where Stevens got the tech was a terrible no-call, and that was right after another questionable no- call the possession before.(Graves getting clobbered going to the basket)

It was rough out there for both teams in between ticky-tack fouls.

Despite the refs it was a great game.
perry

La Grange Park, IL

#20 Dec 20, 2007
Exciting to read that all Butler players are able to play their positions as a team! Glad Butler can score as well as defend and put points on the board to make games exciting to read about when they cannot be seen. I recall those days when Butler's scores were too low even tho they won thru defense...those games were boring to watch and read about! Enjoy the season Bulldog players and fans...this is special.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howard University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hot shooting lifts Howard over Coppin State 70-60 (Jan '13) Jan '13 COPPIN EAGLE 1
News Colonials regain touch in 2nd half, top the Bison (Jan '10) Jan '10 Concerned 1
News Butler basketball team wins with 3-pointers (Nov '07) Mar '09 MEEE 4
News State college basketball roundup: Navy beats Ho... (Nov '08) Nov '08 rtyh 3
News Howard's dirty work saves Butler (Dec '07) Oct '08 teamwork1 41
News Overtime payoff (Oct '08) Oct '08 Gary 1
News Freshman linebacker playing like a veteran for ... (Sep '08) Sep '08 Sean Brown 3
More from around the web