Irish survive against short-handed Ho...

Irish survive against short-handed Hornets

There are 26 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 19, 2008, titled Irish survive against short-handed Hornets. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

By the time Cathedral outlasted a spirited effort from undermanned Howe for the 69th City Tournament championship, both teams had reason to feel they had accomplished something significant Saturday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 07

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Jan 20, 2008
If I had my pick of any player in the metro area I could win three in a row too.
gabby

Marysville, OH

#2 Jan 20, 2008
What a Game !
Lots of talented ballplayers!
Indiana Basketball at its best!
Congratulations to both teams on a job well done!
Jay

United States

#3 Jan 20, 2008
Recruiting non-Catholics to play for your school really pays off.

The upper crust Catholics who send their kids there would never bump into a black person except for sports.
naptown

Waukegan, IL

#4 Jan 20, 2008
an i know everyones gonna argue with this but if howe had been able to have jordan manual play they would have won the game cause they didnt have anyone taller than 6'4" except for him..howe would have won by 10 or more is my guess

SPM

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, Indiana

#5 Jan 20, 2008
Don't want to get into the recruiting debate. Just want to stay it was a great game and would have been even better if the Hornets had been at full strength. Not saying they would have won. Only the guy upstairs knows that. Just saying it would have been a lot interesting to see the outcome.

Congratulations to Cathedral.

Good luck to both teams in the upcoming sectionals. You will be representing your schools and districts well.
Thomas Carr

Maryland Heights, MO

#6 Jan 20, 2008
Too bad that the fans were unable to see both teams at full strength due to an overzealous (Barney Fife) official on Friday night.

This official made 11 out of 12 calls during the fourth quarter while the other two officials combined to make one call. This guy is related to the same official that called SIX technical fouls on the Arlinton coaching staff - in less than one minute - during last seasons Sectional game against Warren. What a JOKE!!

Coach Sembly and his staff had an excellent game plan and strategy.

With 6'8" Jordan Manuel in the line up - Howe wins by 7 points.
ahhh

Louisville, KY

#7 Jan 20, 2008
Yeah since when Howe was at full strength they won by 7 last time right? No, wait they lost by 17. So how are you sore losers all coming up with your logic? Congrats to Cathedral!
Bobby Hill

Crawfordsville, IN

#8 Jan 20, 2008
Thomas Carr wrote:
Too bad that the fans were unable to see both teams at full strength due to an overzealous (Barney Fife) official on Friday night.
This official made 11 out of 12 calls during the fourth quarter while the other two officials combined to make one call. This guy is related to the same official that called SIX technical fouls on the Arlinton coaching staff - in less than one minute - during last seasons Sectional game against Warren. What a JOKE!!
Coach Sembly and his staff had an excellent game plan and strategy.
With 6'8" Jordan Manuel in the line up - Howe wins by 7 points.
Excuses are a crutch. Maybe Cathedral was a few points better Saturday night. Howe shoots better than 3-15 3-pointers and maybe things are different. Looking at the stats, it looks like the Howe faithful can't blame THIS loss on the "Barney Fife" officials. More fouls were called on Cathedral and Howe shot more FTs. Cathedral had a technical foul called on them and one of their starters fouled out. Fact is that Howe got down 15-1 and 20-7 and could not get back. But it's easier to blame the officials from the night before than to say that Howe maybe wasn't ready to play. Maybe Coach Sembly forgot that getting his team ready to play should be part of his "excellent game plan and strategy".
hat and sweat suit guy

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Jan 20, 2008
I sat with a parent of one of the starters last night and morale was down. The hornets were still upset from the night before when Manuel got screwed. Does sagarin rank officals? If not they should. The outcome was pre-determined. Manuel hasn't lost a jump ball all year and out jumped the so called stud from Luers. Cathedral ain't even tight. They would'nt make it through howe's sectional.
IPS graduates 52 percent

West Manchester, OH

#12 Jan 20, 2008
hat and sweat suit guy wrote:
Cathedral ain't even tight.
Well, that pretty much sums that up now doesn't it? "Ain't even tight". Hahaha
refman61

Frankfort, IN

#13 Jan 20, 2008
I don't appreciate you talkin stuff about ips as a whole. That isn't cool. Relax don't do it, if you want to go though, relax dont do it if you want to come..come come come
IPS graduates 52 percent

West Manchester, OH

#14 Jan 20, 2008
refman61 wrote:
I don't appreciate you talkin stuff about ips as a whole. That isn't cool. Relax don't do it, if you want to go though, relax dont do it if you want to come..come come come
Frankie goes to Hollywood

SPM

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, Indiana

#15 Jan 21, 2008
Cathedral and Howe are both loaded with young talent. Yes, seniors lead the way but both teams have an excellent future in the making.

These teams are meeting regularly during the regular season (next year at Cathedral) to my understanding and the following at Howe.

This young talent that is helping the seniors will hopefully take charge and move each program forward. Hopefully, in March they are playing on the same floor in the State 4A and 3A title games.

It will help show what Indianapolis City Basketball has to offer.

Good luck the rest of the season to both teams. Can I go ahead and purchase tickets to next season game. This seems to be a rivalry in the making (early stages).
IPS graduates 52 percent

West Manchester, OH

#16 Jan 21, 2008
Jay wrote:
Recruiting non-Catholics to play for your school really pays off.
The upper crust Catholics who send their kids there would never bump into a black person except for sports.
You’re really going to knock anybody for going to a school that graduates 93.6% of their students vs. one that graduates 53.7% of theirs? Come on...
ahhh

Louisville, KY

#17 Jan 21, 2008
Morale was down? Then you need to put that on your coach for not getting your boys focused and fired up. And theres no way i even believe that considering they were playing in the city championship. I'm glad he hasn't lost a jump ball all year since whoever wins that wins the game these days. Howe is good, very good, but you can't say since he didn't play thats why they lost. When he did play they got beat much much worse. Do you not understand that?
hat and sweat suit guy

Frankfort, IN

#18 Jan 21, 2008
A ton of these kids play for my aau team. I helped them get into Howe. For you to say they weren't ready to play you are nuts. Myself. Coach Sembly and the a.d. have prepared these kids to make it to the top. So get off their back!!!
IPS graduates 52 percent

West Manchester, OH

#19 Jan 21, 2008
A ton of these kids play for my aau team. I helped them get into Howe. For you to say they weren't ready to play you are nuts. Myself. Coach Sembly and the a.d. have prepared these kids to make it to the top. So get off their back!!!
You helped “get them into Howe”? Care to explain? I thought Howe was an IPS school?

Since: Mar 07

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Jan 21, 2008
Sounds an admission to recruiting to me!!!!!!!
hat and sweat suit guy

Frankfort, IN

#21 Jan 21, 2008
"A ton of these kids play for my aau team. I helped them get into Howe. For you to say they weren't ready to play you are nuts. Myself. Coach Sembly and the a.d. have prepared these kids to make it to the top. So get off their back!!!"
This was a bait just like a worm on a blue gill. Not true at all
Cathedral Student

Elwood, IN

#22 Jan 22, 2008
That game was awesome and i was glad to be there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howard University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hot shooting lifts Howard over Coppin State 70-60 (Jan '13) Jan '13 COPPIN EAGLE 1
News Colonials regain touch in 2nd half, top the Bison (Jan '10) Jan '10 Concerned 1
News Butler basketball team wins with 3-pointers (Nov '07) Mar '09 MEEE 4
News State college basketball roundup: Navy beats Ho... (Nov '08) Nov '08 rtyh 3
News Howard's dirty work saves Butler (Dec '07) Oct '08 teamwork1 41
News Overtime payoff (Oct '08) Oct '08 Gary 1
News Freshman linebacker playing like a veteran for ... (Sep '08) Sep '08 Sean Brown 3
More from around the web