Howard's dirty work saves Butler

Howard's dirty work saves Butler

There are 41 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Dec 6, 2007, titled Howard's dirty work saves Butler. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Butler's top 3-point shooter was injured and watching from the bench. Its elite guard duo combined for just 17 points.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bulldog Fan

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Dec 7, 2007
Good teams can still win games in which they didn't play well.

GO DAWGS!!!
Lets go Hoosiers

United States

#2 Dec 7, 2007
Great opening win Dawgs. Howard is going to be a beast at Butler if he can stay healthy getting so many minutes.

What no one is talking about is the D. Sometimes the threes arent falling. Sometimes the shots arent falling inside. But what has been very consistent is the D every night.

Surprised to see they have never won at Wright St. Make it a first.
Basketball Fan

United States

#3 Dec 7, 2007
The mighty bulldogs will get their butt's kicked at Wright State and a few other times this season. Their arrogant but basketball ignorant pharmacy fans deserve it after talking undefeated for the season on their message board. Butler is a good team but not an elite team. It takes a little more than they have to sweep a season.
cliff zeider

United States

#4 Dec 7, 2007
Hey, It sure is great watching a real basketball team and clean program. Go Butler. Cliff
Wow Read Much

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Dec 7, 2007
Basketball Fan wrote:
The mighty bulldogs will get their butt's kicked at Wright State and a few other times this season. Their arrogant but basketball ignorant pharmacy fans deserve it after talking undefeated for the season on their message board. Butler is a good team but not an elite team. It takes a little more than they have to sweep a season.
There was no undefeated talk. There was an article in the IndyStar speculating, but on the message board it was quickly dismissed. Nobody thinks this team will go undefeated. That's just ridiculous. Butler has some of the most knowledgeable basketball fans around.
BOILERBRETT

Crest Hill, IL

#6 Dec 7, 2007
Basketball Fan wrote:
YOU ARE JUST PISSED BECAUSE THEY BEAT THE SUCKEYES
PAYTON

Bensenville, IL

#7 Dec 7, 2007
Hey Basketball fan, The Indy star wrote that article not Butler. Butler just takes it one game at a time!And if we haven't played your team yet I hope their on the schedule because you could be next!!

"ONE GAME AT A TIME"

“Butler Wins”

Since: Jan 07

Plainfield

#8 Dec 7, 2007
Basketball Fan wrote:
I hope you are not the typical Wright State fan/student. I have a lot of respect for that program. Especially after what they did against my Dawgs last year. But if you are the typical fan/student from Wright State then maybe I should reconsider my position.
holeinone

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Dec 7, 2007
Thank heavens for the internet, I think it's sad that people of Indiana are not permitted to watch the Bulldogs on TV or cable. I praise the Horizon league network TV. Thank you for showing the Butler games.
M-Box

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Dec 7, 2007
If anyone thought that Butler's games within the Horizon League was going to be a cakewalk they should think again. These league teams know Butler better than anyone. They usually have a decent game plan for Butler's style of offense. Teams like Wright State and Detroit usually have one goal in mind when preparing for their season: beat Butler. They know that if they do they might have a shot at getting to the NCAA Tournament. I doubt any big-conference teams that Butler plays in the pre-conference games goes into season with a mindset of up-ending the Bulldogs. It's just one game to them. To schools like Detroit beating Butler and then taking care of business with everyone else in the league can lead to a post-season opportunity. Heck, the Wright State fans showed up to Hinkle last year with "Beat Butler" shirts. Incredible.

Butler is the Duke of the Horizon league.
BU Season Ticket Holder

United States

#11 Dec 7, 2007
They would have lost this game in previous years. Way to gring it out Dawgs. Conference road games truly test your gut. Good game Howard, I can only imagine how good he will be over the next 4 years.
Howard

Sugar Land, TX

#12 Dec 7, 2007
Matt deserves some national press. Butler will be a top ten team, he was a top 100 recruit, and all I hear about is how OJ Mayo went 7-24 and scored 25 points. Give us some love! And not Kevin Love, who is another overrated stiff.
Butler guard 58

Livermore, CA

#13 Dec 7, 2007
May I dare say David Woods has done the Butler basketball team a disservice by writing an article about Butler going undefeated this year. They are now 8-0, having scraped by two unranked teams. It was very stupid to write an article like that when the season has only begun.
Bulldawg For Life

United States

#14 Dec 7, 2007
Outside of the Horizon League its hard to understand how big it is to win at Detroit for Butler. It might not have been pretty but a "W" is a "W"! Go DAWGS!
Jeb

Carmel, IN

#15 Dec 7, 2007
Butler, the 13th best team in the country, should have rolled over Detroit. The point that the HL teams know how to defend Butler is exactly right. Butler plays team basketball and that confuses a lot of the "elite" teams that are full of individual talent which is why they are so successful against non-league opponents. But the HL teams are gunning for them and they've got plenty of film. The HL will be a dogfight. The top teams in the HL are always underrated.
GO BU

United States

#16 Dec 7, 2007
Butler guard 58 wrote:
May I dare say David Woods has done the Butler basketball team a disservice by writing an article about Butler going undefeated this year. They are now 8-0, having scraped by two unranked teams. It was very stupid to write an article like that when the season has only begun.
It wasn't his fault. Go back and read his blog. His superiors at the Star made him write the thing, and he did so reluctantly. Plus, if you read the article, he admits that going undefeated is a long shot. If Butler loses, it's not David Woods' fault; it's their own fault.

No excuses, Bulldogs! Just keep kicking butt!!!!
Butler Grad 1990

Duncan, OK

#17 Dec 7, 2007
I am impressed by Matt Howard's play. He will be a super player in the coming years.

Great job Bulldogs. Now, go get Wright State and Bradley!
Charles

Springfield, IL

#18 Dec 7, 2007
holeinone wrote:
Thank heavens for the internet, I think it's sad that people of Indiana are not permitted to watch the Bulldogs on TV or cable. I praise the Horizon league network TV. Thank you for showing the Butler games.
Comcast local did show the game last night. I have it on the triple play package in Peru. Now if they just had the Big Ten Netowrk and the NFL Network on their triple play package.
I am glad that others are learning what people in East Central Indiana have known for several years; Matt Howard is a gritty, tough, unselfish, energizer bunny of a basketball player.
Go Boilers

Plainfield, IN

#19 Dec 7, 2007
Basketball Fan wrote:
Basketball Fan thank you for your indept analysis. You provided nothing but positivity and intellegence (along with superb facts to back up your thoughts) to this message board. It is apparent that you are truely a "basketball fan" it just oozes out of you. Congratulations on being "That Guy" on the message board.

Good win Dogs keep it up! The state of Indiana is proving it's superiority this year in college basketball. I personaly love it and wish all the teams good luck but Go Boilers!!!

Since: Apr 07

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Dec 7, 2007
What a class team. As a Purdue fan I would have LOVED to have had Howard as one of our freshman right now, but I am just glad he chose to go to the other in-state school doing things the right way and playing team basketball. Not to mention getting a first class education. Go Boilers & Go Bulldogs! Can't wait to cheer you both on at the Wooden Tradition on the 15th!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Howard University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hot shooting lifts Howard over Coppin State 70-60 (Jan '13) Jan '13 COPPIN EAGLE 1
News Colonials regain touch in 2nd half, top the Bison (Jan '10) Jan '10 Concerned 1
News Butler basketball team wins with 3-pointers (Nov '07) Mar '09 MEEE 4
News State college basketball roundup: Navy beats Ho... (Nov '08) Nov '08 rtyh 3
News Overtime payoff (Oct '08) Oct '08 Gary 1
News Freshman linebacker playing like a veteran for ... (Sep '08) Sep '08 Sean Brown 3
News Knicks have assets for a Kobe trade - (Oct '07) Mar '08 never ask y nyc 70
More from around the web