Miners take on co-leader Houston

Miners take on co-leader Houston

There are 27 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jan 21, 2011, titled Miners take on co-leader Houston. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

And then there were four ... four teams with just one loss, four teams with a 3-1 record at the quarter-pole of the Conference USA basketball race.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bill

Vista, CA

#1 Jan 22, 2011
DEFENSE!!!! GO MINERS!!!
Harold Dalton

United States

#2 Jan 22, 2011
The quarter pole is a horse racing term. The pole indicates that there is a quarter mile to go, not a quarter already completed.
Steve El Paso-Rockport

Aransas Pass, TX

#3 Jan 22, 2011
Knight seems to getting carried away again. Houston is not ranked nor has any votes among the major polls.
The only polls that go that low are Sagarin where Houston is ranked #182 and CBS where its ranked #168- its strength of schedule is #280 and #262 in the nation. Someone once asked why do I even mention CBS ( or sagarin)- only because they go that low.

Houston is ranked below Presbytarian (who??), Wofford, Quinnipiac and New Mexico State.

Knight says they "dismantled a solid Rice team" LOL maybe he meant they were so solid they couldn't move up and down the floor . Rice is ranked #193 and #203 respectively.

UCF has fallen apart losing 3-4 games in row now.

I just wish I could trust Knight to have honest objective reporting, so I could read who our Minors are playing without having to do my own research.

Who has Houston beaten at home this year? Nichols State, Alcorn State, the powerhouse Northwestern Oklahoma State (quick what's their nickname) and the mighty Rogers State Hillcats! as well as the 6-13 Nevada Reno team (well at least we heard of them). Their best win might have been a 2 point beating of Sam Houston who lost all but one of its stars and is having its worst season in many years.

If we can't beat Houston easily - its a bad sign.
UH OH

United States

#4 Jan 22, 2011
Steve El Paso-Rockport wrote:
Knight seems to getting carried away again. Houston is not ranked nor has any votes among the major polls.
The only polls that go that low are Sagarin where Houston is ranked #182 and CBS where its ranked #168- its strength of schedule is #280 and #262 in the nation. Someone once asked why do I even mention CBS ( or sagarin)- only because they go that low.
Houston is ranked below Presbytarian (who??), Wofford, Quinnipiac and New Mexico State.
Knight says they "dismantled a solid Rice team" LOL maybe he meant they were so solid they couldn't move up and down the floor . Rice is ranked #193 and #203 respectively.
I just wish I could trust Knight to have honest objective reporting, so I could read who our Minors are playing without having to do my own research.
Who has Houston beaten at home this year? Nichols State, Alcorn State, the powerhouse Northwestern Oklahoma State (quick what's their nickname) and the mighty Rogers State Hillcats! as well as the 6-13 Nevada Reno team (well at least we heard of them). Their best win might have been a 2 point beating of Sam Houston who lost all but one of its stars and is having its worst season in many years.
There's a reason Knight works at EPT and you don't. Put your red crayon down on that Big Chief notepad and step away from your Teletubbies-themed desk. Then, grab your helmet and get on the short bus, Skippy!
Benito Juarez

United States

#5 Jan 22, 2011
UH OH wrote:
<quoted text>There's a reason Knight works at EPT and you don't. Put your red crayon down on that Big Chief notepad and step away from your Teletubbies-themed desk. Then, grab your helmet and get on the short bus, Skippy!
Working at the EPT is nothing to brag about; nor should it be considered a good job. He works at the EPT because he's a dork, can't write, and isn't employable elsewhere. You idiots in that part of the country stay loyal to the end w/bozos (ex. Price and Stull).
ohnoyoudidnt

El Paso, TX

#6 Jan 22, 2011
UTEP 61
Hou 55
ohnoyoudidnt

El Paso, TX

#7 Jan 22, 2011
Agree, seems like Knight doesn't do any research before he starts to write.. Don't know, maybe he doesn't have the time or he is just feeling plain lazy..
Clubber

San Antonio, TX

#8 Jan 22, 2011
UTEP-103
Houston-42

Randy C. Throws down 44 points...you'll see
shut up

El Paso, TX

#10 Jan 22, 2011
The worst thing the internet did to society is give a voice to every idiot with a computer. Nobody cares about your destructive rants. Go back inside your trailer, drink another Natural Light, and beat your wife. Spare the rest of us.
James

League City, TX

#11 Jan 22, 2011
Those are all impressive stats, but the one factor your leaving out is the human element to the game! Houston always plays us tough, regardless of team records. Does last years C-USA tournament ring a bell! Coach Floyd knows it and will have the guy's ready to play. Houston will come out swinging, and they can definitely chuck it from the cheap seats. Good luck guy's! Play MINER BALL! Defense Baby! Defense! GO MINERS!
Steve El Paso-Rockport

Aransas Pass, TX

#12 Jan 22, 2011
UH OH did you ever think that I might actually have a better position than Mr. Knight? Did you know I was a columnist for the El Paso Times in 1980?
This year I have written guest Sunday Editorials for the Austin American Statesman, and 40 other papers as well as some in the EPT. Now be a man instead of a coward and come out from hiding and tell us who you are.

James your point is well taken. The "human element" is crucial and I didn't address it and you did. You are absolutely right.

Benito and Ohno thanks

All I want from Knight and all we should all want is Fair Objective writing. If he tells us the good points about Houston then he should balance it with the negatives. If he makes a poor team out to be a really good one and we win by 15 - we may later wonder what happened when we played a really good team.

Tonight will be a fine victory and the Miners deserve congratulations for winning any away game in this underrated conference, but Houston will not be going anywhere this year.. and I hope we will be!

Steve Fischer
Bobby

El Paso, TX

#13 Jan 22, 2011
UH OH did you ever think that I might actually have a better position than Mr. Knight? Did you know I was a columnist for the El Paso Times in 1980?
This year I have written guest Sunday Editorials for the Austin American Statesman, and 40 other papers as well as some in the EPT. Now be a man instead of a coward and come out from hiding and tell us who you are.
James your point is well taken. The "human element" is crucial and I didn't address it and you did. You are absolutely right.
Benito and Ohno thanks
All I want from Knight and all we should all want is Fair Objective writing. If he tells us the good points about Houston then he should balance it with the negatives. If he makes a poor team out to be a really good one and we win by 15 - we may later wonder what happened when we played a really good team.
Tonight will be a fine victory and the Miners deserve congratulations for winning any away game in this underrated conference, but Houston will not be going anywhere this year.. and I hope we will be!
Steve Fischer
And you're still don't know what you're talking about after all these years..........
build it

El Paso, TX

#14 Jan 22, 2011
Whats up with the "our Minors"? You lose any credibility with that crap alone right there. No need to even explain whats wrong with the rest of your rant.
build it

El Paso, TX

#15 Jan 22, 2011
Benito Juarez wrote:
<quoted text>
Working at the EPT is nothing to brag about; nor should it be considered a good job. He works at the EPT because he's a dork, can't write, and isn't employable elsewhere. You idiots in that part of the country stay loyal to the end w/bozos (ex. Price and Stull).
Why don't you take a tour of UTEP and see all the major improvements that have come under Stull's tenure? Only bozo here is you, except add a ba before the bozo.
Danny

El Paso, TX

#16 Jan 22, 2011
This year I have written guest Sunday Editorials for the Austin American Statesman, and 40 other papers as well as some in the EPT. Now be a man instead of a coward and come out from hiding and tell us who you are....
but Houston will not be going anywhere this year.. and I hope we will be!
Steve Fischer
Is this really you? Attorney and former El Paso Times and Herald-Post columnist Steve Fischer.... He currently resides in Rockport, Texas and is president of the Aransas County Bar Association.

Hey attorney - what if Houston wins the C-USA tournament? They would go 'places'. An attorney preaching to a sports writer and the rest of us. What a JOKE.
Kyle

El Paso, TX

#17 Jan 22, 2011
Hey Steve boy:

It's the same Houston team that beat UCF - a top 35 team according to AP and the Coaches........

You have no clue as to what you are talking about and when you spew out RPI ratings....

Ex: Look that Marshall did to West Virginia - then #21. Rankings don't win games goofy.

But we all have been told (by you) that you're an expert on everything.
Steve El Paso-Rockport

Aransas Pass, TX

#18 Jan 22, 2011
UCF lost to East Carolina.

Danny I'll make you a deal if Houston wins the tourney or even gets in the NCAA's I will never post again. You do the same if they don't.

What a bunch of cowards! Put your name behind your posts.

Build it- If I went to UTEP and was student body president I have a right to root for the Miners -in fact I can root for each college I attended. Unfortunately you -while hiding behind your anonymous screen name can't tell others who their team is.

I wish people would post some FACTs- scores results or anything else to provide information about the upcoming game, but instead they get courage when they can hide and say things they would never dare to a person's face.
Rob

El Paso, TX

#19 Jan 22, 2011
shut up wrote:
The worst thing the internet did to society is give a voice to every idiot with a computer. Nobody cares about your destructive rants. Go back inside your trailer, drink another Natural Light, and beat your wife. Spare the rest of us.
Man, after reading your post I was going to rip YOU with some type of witty quips. But after reading the rest of these posts I think I kind of agree with you. Unfortunately, I doubt all of these posters are restricted to trailer parks and beer swilling wife beaters. It's quite likely than many are managers, lawyers, and grocery baggers. Some could even be current or former writers for the El Paso Times and are posting their Internet blubberings for our reading enjoyment. Posting MY blubberings gives me something to do.
Danny

El Paso, TX

#20 Jan 22, 2011
So what? UCF lost to East Carolina.

Jan 8 Houston beats #23 UCF 76-71

Nothing but speculation from a so called attorney.

So what proof do you have about RPI ratings - nothing but speculation and hear say on the part of forecaster. La La Land

'I wish people would post some FACTs- scores results or anything else to provide information about the upcoming game, but instead they get courage when they can hide and say things they would never dare to a person's face.'

Try living by your own posts.
Paco

El Paso, TX

#21 Jan 22, 2011
...If I went to UTEP and was student body president I have a right to root for the Miners -in fact I can root for each college I attended. Unfortunately you -while hiding behind your anonymous screen name can't tell others who their team is.
jibber&#65279; jabber

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Houston NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The good, bad and weird of the NFL season Dec '16 Kasick of Pancakes 3
News UH wants that Kevin Sumlin swag back: Firing go... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Madd Dogg 1
News Qualls, Harris suspended indefinitely for Arkansas (Feb '14) Feb '14 Razorman 1
News College Football Handicapping Picks BBVA Compas... (Jan '14) Jan '14 dana carther 1
News UTEP's Sun Bowl Turns 50 (Sep '13) Dec '13 Wrong Way Driver 5
News Raiders' Defensive End Houston a Disruptive Force (Nov '13) Nov '13 RAIDER MISTERIO OG 8
News Have We Seen the Last of Matt Schaub in Houston? (Oct '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 8
More from around the web