A Rock-Solid Family -- Courant.com

A Rock-Solid Family -- Courant.com

There are 9 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Sep 1, 2007, titled A Rock-Solid Family -- Courant.com. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Wedged into two couches along the walls, a bunch of Jernigans are gathered on this humid evening - Mooca, Dutt, Noonie, Ant, Stevie J and even Bruce Maddox, who's not technically a family member, but ... "Oh, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

E Welch

AOL

#1 Sep 1, 2007
This is a beautiful story of love and perseverance and what "family values" is really all about.
Thank you!
Reevee

Newington, CT

#4 Sep 1, 2007
I'm glad the courant has focused on a positive story to feature instead of the usual tragedy and trauma. note to HC Here and Nice Story: Marriage is not the end all be all of what constitutes an upstanding contribution to society. If it did, the we wouldn't have such an abysmally high divorce rate. What have you contributed to this world? To your society?
HTFD RESIDENT

Waterbury, CT

#5 Sep 1, 2007
Nice story wrote:
This was a nice look at a family and a man whose coaching of his kids, nephews, and their friends has clearly given them better lives as adults than many of their peers who turned to drugs and gangs. Congrats to this family and to Stevie J, who has clearly raised his extended "family" right despite the disadvantages of living in the projects and low income.
However, I have to wonder why the patriarch never bothered to marry the mother of his six children at some point in their 26 years together. Apparently that has continued to the next generation with the son having a "partner" (aka Baby Mama) of 16 years, who hasn't married her yet.
Is this aversion to marriage meant to maximize the welfare benefits, or is it just another sign of the abysmally low marriage rate among blacks in America?
You know you really have serious issues! Whether he married her or not is really none of your damn business. Why is it so hard for some dummies to give credit where credit is due. Oh yeah, maybe because they are black and come from the projects. I grew up with the Corey and Jorell and Kenny. These boys are really good kids and they need their credit especially coming from where we did. GROW UP!!!!1
HTFD RESIDENT

Waterbury, CT

#6 Sep 1, 2007
HC Here wrote:
Boring - OK, they like basketball and moved on up from the ghetto to -- uh uh -- keep on playing basketball and hanging out together. Too bad I don't have the theme from Good Times downloaded while I read this. Definitely a day to buy the New York Times - their headlines have relevance. BTW, why did the children take the mother's name? Fine morals of the dad to make kids out of wedlock. I wish the Courant had focused on why papa didn't wait until marriage to make a baby. Isn't it inappropriate to make babies before you marry? Oh, yeah, the "political correctness" police say you can't criticize others for low standards. Maybe they could have gotten out of the ghetto earlier and done more with their lives than hang around and play basketball if fewer babies had been pumped out.
GET A F ING LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
HC Here

Washington, DC

#7 Sep 1, 2007
Reevee - I agree with you that a lot of people shouldn't get married, nor should people stay in loveless marriages. Question to you - Do you think abstention from sex before marriage would reduce the welfare roles? Should people wait until they get married before they decide to make a baby, or should peoplemake babies as the mood hits and let the chips fall where they may later on? As to my role in society, what I haven't contributed to society is babies added to the welfare system. I haven't added crime, drug use, or babies I couldnt' afford to raise myself. I currently contribute my time to mentoring efforts in the area of accounting and preparing high school and college students for job interviews, as well as fund raising for charities. I would never claim that I do more than others, but I contribute a fair share.
Get a Grip

Deep River, CT

#9 Sep 1, 2007
HC Here wrote:
Reevee - I agree with you that a lot of people shouldn't get married, nor should people stay in loveless marriages. Question to you - Do you think abstention from sex before marriage would reduce the welfare roles? Should people wait until they get married before they decide to make a baby, or should peoplemake babies as the mood hits and let the chips fall where they may later on? As to my role in society, what I haven't contributed to society is babies added to the welfare system. I haven't added crime, drug use, or babies I couldnt' afford to raise myself. I currently contribute my time to mentoring efforts in the area of accounting and preparing high school and college students for job interviews, as well as fund raising for charities. I would never claim that I do more than others, but I contribute a fair share.
FYI-you do not get additional "welfare" for having additional children. They changed that policy in 1996, so if you're going to comment try and learn the facts first...Just because you do all this "volunteering", etc. dosen't mean you are not ignorant.
HC Here

Washington, DC

#10 Sep 1, 2007
Get a Grip wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI-you do not get additional "welfare" for having additional children. They changed that policy in 1996, so if you're going to comment try and learn the facts first...Just because you do all this "volunteering", etc. dosen't mean you are not ignorant.
CLarify for me - the non-working ghetto mother with one child receives no more support in total from the government (whether it is welfare specifically, food stamps, section 8 housing, or anything else) than the non-working ghetto mother with three kids? That doesn't sound right. As to some of the negative people on here, I do have a life - I wish those receiving government assistance would get a life and build an independent sustainable existence not requiring handouts from the rest of the public. You can educate me further by telling me specifically where I am ignorant - other than because I didn't create kids out of wedlock. Has it occurred to you how much better a life this man could have created for his family if he stopped at 2 children instead of six? I don't want to hear accolades for someone who voluntarily makes babies then keeps a family together. That is beig a man and is quite common throughout this state. The Courant should cover many families thorugh the state who love each other and overcome adversity. Stop the liberal heartstrings because these people are poor and struggled. They caused some of the struggling themselves.
kenneth

United States

#11 Sep 1, 2007
I think this story was long overdue. All the writing you did about the other players in pro-am this should have been your first piece. Just goes to show you I was right about Mr. Anthony and his priorities. Mike Vick, The Red Sox and everbody else was more important. As far as the uninformed person in regards to the Ghetto comment and baby making
comments. Last time I checked you were not GOD. I grew up in the same city as Stevie J and the young men he has mentored are fine young men. As far you being a mentor I hope you don't mentor the way you think. I am also a product of this city and I love where I live and I too mentor young men and women. I also run a foundation, coach and work the educational system with youth that think like you. Get a life!!!
kenneth from Hartford

United States

#12 Sep 1, 2007
I am not from Cheshire> I am from Hartford

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Hartford NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UConn women respond well to Geno's test (Nov '07) Apr '13 BPT 8
News Shooting Victim Identified -- Courant.com (Oct '07) Feb '13 seriousbizz 66
News BYU coach a big UConn women booster (Dec '07) Jun '11 America Gentleman... 3
News Hoops down under: Drake grad Sabia on Australia... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Go Morgan 1
News Former MC standout Michael Turner lands with Ge... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Jose Queervo 1
News Moms, Dads Urged To Be Stronger Advocates -- Co... (Oct '07) Jul '09 Lew Day 30
Drake U'U to transfer? (May '09) Jun '09 Keith 2
More from around the web