Police Found Players With Alcohol

Full story: Hartford Courant

The indefinite suspensions of UConn basketball players Jerome Dyson and Doug Wiggins were triggered by an incident involving alcohol Thursday night.
Comments
1 - 20 of 145 Comments Last updated Jan 29, 2008
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Hoodies

Hartford, CT

#1 Jan 28, 2008
Quite the cast of characters playing men's basketball these days. Alleged college students who can't spell a two-syllable word. Guys I wouldn't want my daughter to be anywhere near. What a charade. Since when was winning a basketball game enough reason to stand every ethic we hold dear on its head? Enough. Dump these losers and disband the program if need be. It's a joke.
Reno

Shelton, CT

#2 Jan 28, 2008
That's all they did? Laughable they that they were even suspended. And to the previous guy, if you don't want your daughter near kids that drink underage, don't bother sending the skank to college.
Enough is Enough

Hartford, CT

#3 Jan 28, 2008
Hoodies wrote:
Quite the cast of characters playing men's basketball these days. Alleged college students who can't spell a two-syllable word. Guys I wouldn't want my daughter to be anywhere near. What a charade. Since when was winning a basketball game enough reason to stand every ethic we hold dear on its head? Enough. Dump these losers and disband the program if need be. It's a joke.
A little extreme isn't it? Disband the program cause of a few idiots?
Wiggins already had a suspended license and should be done for the year. Give Dyson a few games and bring him back.
Pete

United States

#4 Jan 28, 2008
Two 20 year old college kids drinking. I'll bet that's the first time THAT has ever happened!
Enough is Enough

Hartford, CT

#5 Jan 28, 2008
Reno wrote:
That's all they did? Laughable they that they were even suspended. And to the previous guy, if you don't want your daughter near kids that drink underage, don't bother sending the skank to college.
Remember that when your daughter brings home some boozed up pothead ball player. Then again it was good enough for her mom right?
Southwest Florida Husky

Fort Myers, FL

#6 Jan 28, 2008
Cognac? Really?

Didn't know our program was that sophistimacated.

But seriously: cognac? Whatever happened to just getting high? We need Khalid to school these guys in proper UConn guard behavior.
dad

West Hartford, CT

#7 Jan 28, 2008
Very bad choices. Jepardize your full scholarship to a college you would never have been able to attend; for a drink? And driving with suspended license? I guess athletes don't always get a break from the campus police and the coaches don't fix tickets anymore.
Sheila

Glastonbury, CT

#8 Jan 28, 2008
To EVERYONE out there who attended college - did you ever drink?(not counting those who didn't swallow)
tmac

Hartford, CT

#9 Jan 28, 2008
I would sure like to know ho many people that posted Saturday didn't start drinking before 21. I give Calhoun credit for suspending them. Like any "good" parent he punished them. I know they are athletes and held to a higher standard than every other student, but they are "STILL" kids that need to be taught life lessons. Lighten up people. Hopefull they will learn their lesson
Louis

Waterbury, CT

#10 Jan 28, 2008
Don't let her go to high school either.

Since: Jul 07

Canton

#11 Jan 28, 2008
They're under 21 and were in possession of alcohol. Additionally, they were in a car, so that compunds the stupidity of the act. I'm not about to condemn these kids for this, but when you're part of a high profile program like UConn's athletics is in this little state, you should put a lid on your stupidity. Coach acted appropriately.
Ryan

Hoosick Falls, NY

#12 Jan 28, 2008
Hey Hoodie, how are you gonna blame Calhoun on this one, he is the one who chose the suspension, Uconn is one of the cleanest programs you will find, name me one uconn alum in the nba with a criminal record as a professional. If this was at USC or Miami im sure it would have been swept under the rug. Dyson and Wiggins deserve the suspension but the rest of the guys on the team shouldnt have to suffer the same consequence.
Enough is Enough

Hartford, CT

#13 Jan 28, 2008
Ryan wrote:
Hey Hoodie, how are you gonna blame Calhoun on this one, he is the one who chose the suspension, Uconn is one of the cleanest programs you will find, name me one uconn alum in the nba with a criminal record as a professional. If this was at USC or Miami im sure it would have been swept under the rug. Dyson and Wiggins deserve the suspension but the rest of the guys on the team shouldnt have to suffer the same consequence.
As much as I don't like Calhoun gotta give him credit on this one. Happened on Thursday night and they were suspended the next day. Good job on his part. As for one of the cleanest programs? I think the BBall program has had more suspensions than any other in the last 10 years. Other guys did a good job stepping up and not letting it distract them on Saturday.
Over-reaction

United States

#14 Jan 28, 2008
Two games for posession of alchohol? C'mon coach.
Low Husky Fan

United States

#15 Jan 28, 2008
Acting suspicious, yea right, sounds like another case of profiling. I guess those cops have nothing better to do with their time. Everyone who posted comments against these student must live in glass houses that are well maintained and shatterproof. "He without sin cast the first stone". Just about all of us have had acohol in a vehecle at one point or another, but just did not get caught. Think again bashers.
confused

Wakefield, RI

#16 Jan 28, 2008
jim calhoun did a better job of "sending a message" than our legislature does. they are not really serious about reducing the dui and underage drinking problem.
Citizen

Guilford, CT

#17 Jan 28, 2008
Bet there's a lot of really good basketball players out there that would LOVE to play at UCONN and would appreciate the opportunity to get a full scholarship. Maybe even do well in school - remember Omeka? Men's basketball programs will recruit anyone who'll stick around for a year or two in order to possibly do well in the tournament. NCAA wants all the money and does not want to deal with the problem of these guys leaving after a year ot two. Should make it manadatory to graduate or repay the money.

The ladies set the example of great players, students, and citizens. And they have basbetball dynasties!!!
Not The AP

East Berlin, CT

#18 Jan 28, 2008
Over-reaction wrote:
Two games for posession of alchohol? C'mon coach.
I agree.

But what Jerome Dyson and Doug Wiggins do on their own time is not the coach's problem.

That is the problem ...

"Wiggins, 20, of East Hartford, was issued a summons for operating with a suspended license and possession of alcohol by a minor. Dyson, 20, of Rockville, Md., was issued an infraction for possession of alcohol by a minor."

People need to mind their own business..

The drinking age should be 18, not 21.

Fascism rules this country doesn't it?

By no means of the law is a 20-year-old a minor. The Constitution has already established that at 18 a person is an adult.
ABC

Hartford, CT

#19 Jan 28, 2008
Antric Klabier was only suspended for 2 games in 1998 when he was arrested for drunk driving. Seems a little unfair to give these kids the same punishment for a far less severe "crime".
Ryan

Hoosick Falls, NY

#20 Jan 28, 2008
"As much as I don't like Calhoun gotta give him credit on this one. Happened on Thursday night and they were suspended the next day. Good job on his part. As for one of the cleanest programs? I think the BBall program has had more suspensions than any other in the last 10 years. Other guys did a good job stepping up and not letting it distract them on Saturday."

I can only think of the basketball program having 7 suspensions in the last 10 years. Kirk King, Ricky Moore, Marcus Williams, AJ Price, Dyson and Wiggins, Villanueva. The difference is actually suspending them and not sweeping it under the rug. All those guys learned from their mistakes. Trust me their are schools with way more dirt on them then Uconn.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Hawks NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best Logo in the America East Jul '14 Mike Sivo 1
UConn women respond well to Geno's test (Nov '07) Apr '13 BPT 8
Shooting Victim Identified -- Courant.com (Oct '07) Feb '13 seriousbizz 66
BYU coach a big UConn women booster (Dec '07) Jun '11 America Gentleman... 3
Hoops down under: Drake grad Sabia on Australia... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Go Morgan 1
Former MC standout Michael Turner lands with Ge... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Jose Queervo 1
Moms, Dads Urged To Be Stronger Advocates -- Co... (Oct '07) Jul '09 Lew Day 30
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Hartford Hawks NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••