UConn basketball players suspended af...

UConn basketball players suspended after being cited for alcoho...

There are 16 comments on the NewsTimes.com story from Jan 27, 2008, titled UConn basketball players suspended after being cited for alcoho.... In it, NewsTimes.com reports that:

The indefinite suspension of UConn sophomore guards Jerome Dyson and Doug Wiggins stems from an incident in Storrs on Thursday night in which both were cited by campus police for possession of alcohol by a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTimes.com.

CITYWATCHDOG4568

Exeter, NH

#1 Jan 28, 2008
UConn coach Jim Calhoun is THE BEST!
UConn sophomore guards Jerome Dyson and Doug Wiggins are THE WORST!
CITYWATCHDOG4568

Exeter, NH

#2 Jan 28, 2008
BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLY AND FLOCK TOGETHER.
THESE BIRDS BLACK BIRDS ARE BAD BIRDS!
According to multiple sources, Dyson and Wiggins were not driving but were sitting in a car Thursday near Farmer Brown's parking lot on King Hill Road in Storrs at about 10:30 p.m. Neither was arrested, but both were issued citations by police for possession of alcohol by a minor.
TakeItEasy

Boston, MA

#3 Jan 28, 2008
I have a question for all the NT bloggers. Yes or No, how many of you drank before it was legal? I did and I think I turned out ok. I am interested to know how many people have forgotten where they came from. Thanks

Since: Oct 07

New York, NY

#4 Jan 28, 2008
TakeItEasy wrote:
I have a question for all the NT bloggers. Yes or No, how many of you drank before it was legal? I did and I think I turned out ok. I am interested to know how many people have forgotten where they came from. Thanks
What's your point? Did most drink before it was legal. Yes. But there were consequences if caught. They got caught so there are consequences. Simple as that. These two are scholarship atheletes. Imagine the outcry had they not been discipined by Calhoun.
Rebell Yell

United States

#5 Jan 28, 2008
If mommy and daddy paid their way then who cares. There are thousands of intelligent young adults who would do anything to go to a college like UCONN but can't afford it. Rules must be followed. If you cheat on a test and get caught do you expect nothing to be done?
Brad

Waterbury, CT

#6 Jan 28, 2008
Kick them out!
SARCASTRO

Danbury, CT

#8 Jan 28, 2008
EVEN BIGGER T wrote:
a bit harsh for posession of booze... not a smart move but not the end of the world either... a few games suspension and that should be it, they will also be going to court and having that punishment also... maybe this is what the UC team needed, now without the threat of calhoun's short hook the guards looked pretty comfortable out there..
good point, rendered completely useless by the theft of my log-in name. thanks for spreading disinformation. it plays right into my intentions.
EENIE MEENIE MINIE T

Danbury, CT

#11 Jan 28, 2008
EVEN BIGGER T wrote:
Sarcastro, still whining over spilled milk?
no I just thanked you for helping me spread disinformation, did you understand that part?
PROXY BAITER

Danbury, CT

#12 Jan 28, 2008
muddyknuckles wrote:
When did Uconn turn into Ucoon? Calhoun should be ashamed of himself.
the humor lies in the fact a derogatory term for blacks was used.

"LOL."
Kevin Terry

Bowling Green, KY

#13 Jan 28, 2008
As a former athlete who also played college basketball, I think that Calhoun is coming down a bit hard on the players. I totally agree with the suspension, and think that they should maybe even sit out a third game. However, where I have a problem is where Calhoun said, "I don't know if they're going to be a part of the team or not part of the team." Kicking two student athletes completely off the team for possession of alcohol by a minor citation? That is extreme. I think if we all take a look at this case, and put the situation in perspective we will all agree that releasing the kids from their scholarship is just going to far.
muddyknuckles

Höst, Germany

#15 Jan 28, 2008
PROXY BAITER wrote:
<quoted text>
the humor lies in the fact a derogatory term for blacks was used.
"LOL."
The humor lies in the fact that he points out what is funny about other posts, thereby making them seem less hilarious.

Why not just stick to the deviant, gay-related comments? They suit you better.
BobCatter

New York, NY

#16 Jan 28, 2008
Kevin Terry wrote:
As a former athlete who also played college basketball, I think that Calhoun is coming down a bit hard on the players. I totally agree with the suspension, and think that they should maybe even sit out a third game. However, where I have a problem is where Calhoun said, "I don't know if they're going to be a part of the team or not part of the team." Kicking two student athletes completely off the team for possession of alcohol by a minor citation? That is extreme. I think if we all take a look at this case, and put the situation in perspective we will all agree that releasing the kids from their scholarship is just going to far.
He's not going to kick them off the team. He's trying to scare them straight by making them sweat for awhile. They'll be back. But if it happens again, that's it. Gone.
insidesports

Exeter, NH

#17 Jan 28, 2008
calhoun knows inside story as there were drugs involved
testing will prove it
what a pity for these two black clowns known on uconn campus for their drinking and drugs
billy

Boston, MA

#18 Jan 28, 2008
insidesports wrote:
calhoun knows inside story as there were drugs involved
testing will prove it
what a pity for these two black clowns known on uconn campus for their drinking and drugs
How sad you are. Would you call them black clowns to their face? No, because you are a coward and its not free speech if you have to hide, and you'll get smacked if you said it out loud to somebody.
hey looky its raining

Houston, TX

#19 Jan 30, 2008
billy wrote:
<quoted text>
How sad you are. Would you call them black clowns to their face? No, because you are a coward and its not free speech if you have to hide, and you'll get smacked if you said it out loud to somebody.
I know one of the two is a stand up guy (who got into a little trouble here) and would point and laugh, instead of turn to violence.
UconnAlum

Tampa, FL

#20 Jan 30, 2008
Calhoun recruits at the zoo. What a disgrace.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Hawks NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best Logo in the America East (Jul '14) Jul '14 Mike Sivo 1
News UConn women respond well to Geno's test (Nov '07) Apr '13 BPT 8
News Shooting Victim Identified -- Courant.com (Oct '07) Feb '13 seriousbizz 66
News BYU coach a big UConn women booster (Dec '07) Jun '11 America Gentleman... 3
News Hoops down under: Drake grad Sabia on Australia... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Go Morgan 1
News Former MC standout Michael Turner lands with Ge... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Jose Queervo 1
News Moms, Dads Urged To Be Stronger Advocates -- Co... (Oct '07) Jul '09 Lew Day 30
More from around the web