frosh start

There are 6 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Dec 22, 2007, titled frosh start. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

He's wired for caution, a Hall of Famer whose glass just happens to be half-empty. And it doesn't get much worse than losing one of his best players, in the midst of a great season, to a severe knee injury.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

“WAR ENDS AMERICANS COME HOME!!”

Since: Oct 07

PLAINVILLE CONNECTICUT

#1 Dec 22, 2007
WAY TOO MANY TURNOVERS, WE WERE LUCKY TO WIN PLAYING THAT BAD. STILL I LOVE 'EM

"GO HUSKIES"
frank simmons

United States

#2 Dec 22, 2007
If Geno wasn't going to play Charde--the team should have stayed home. Why add insult to injury. So, she isn't giving 140 percent, so she isn't the girl he thought he recruited. Why, oh why, travel 3000 miles to let her home fans see her sitting on the bench???

Geno is Geno, he has his ways but home town embarrasment is major to anyone. You can insult me in tokyo, sudan, rome or even Ny--but please don't do it in front of my family and friends!!!!

Charde should transfer and redshirt in San Diego--they'd love to have her..and she is or isn't going to the WNBA based upon what they have already seen. That's a no loss to Geno, an advancement for Charde--win, win, win and no more insults or embarrasments for Charde. Do it girl, do it!!

You'll still have your fans in Conn.\\

Geno has Maya. She IS great. But another ACL injury and he'll be starting Gardler, not Charde..

I always thought a gentleman should dance with the girl he brung with him. Guess Philly has a different approach.
bogie

AOL

#3 Dec 22, 2007
scalped tickets = empty seats
To Larry on CPTV and Geno
Please stop complaining about empty seats at Gampel when you know it's because those tickets are being scalped all over the internet. Why shoud anyone pay 40 to 200 bucks for a ticket when they can watch the game on tv and not have to sit in the nosebleed section. I remember the days when they would pay me to come to a game. Big business and corruption ruins everything even women's basketball.
Pat

Durham, CT

#4 Dec 22, 2007
frank simmons wrote:
If Geno wasn't going to play Charde--the team should have stayed home. Why add insult to injury. So, she isn't giving 140 percent, so she isn't the girl he thought he recruited. Why, oh why, travel 3000 miles to let her home fans see her sitting on the bench???
Geno is Geno, he has his ways but home town embarrasment is major to anyone. You can insult me in tokyo, sudan, rome or even Ny--but please don't do it in front of my family and friends!!!!
Charde should transfer and redshirt in San Diego--they'd love to have her..and she is or isn't going to the WNBA based upon what they have already seen. That's a no loss to Geno, an advancement for Charde--win, win, win and no more insults or embarrasments for Charde. Do it girl, do it!!
You'll still have your fans in Conn.\\
Geno has Maya. She IS great. But another ACL injury and he'll be starting Gardler, not Charde..
I always thought a gentleman should dance with the girl he brung with him. Guess Philly has a different approach.
Charde could not red shirt - the San Diego game was the 30% mark set by the NCAA. So, she would have to give up college ball. I agree Geno should have started her even if it was only 5 minutes on the floor to begin with. Start her both the first and second half with 10 minutes of playing time each half.
mike mcmanus

Hamden, CT

#5 Dec 22, 2007
Charde played 15 minutes...what's the gripe? She was told what was expected of her a month ago but apparently she didn't respond. Give the coach some credit for sticking to his guns. I'm more concerned about the # of careless turnovers as the UCONN starters continued to try and force the ball into the post while the post players were being double-teamed. That's not smart play for a #2 ranked team.
Glenn McCoy

Mount Laurel, NJ

#6 Dec 23, 2007
Frank, before you embarrass yourself further, consider the following information: 1) the San Diego State game was scheduled years in advance of this season. How could Geno know Charde would be struggling at this point in her career. How would SDSU feel if Geno cancelled the game just because one of his players is having a bad stretch? 2) Charde is a senior, and has played in 30% of this year's games. That fulfils her four years of elligibility. If she quit now, there would be no place for her to play. 3) Lastly, if any coach ran a program based on sentimentality, he would quickly find his only option was coaching girls 12 and under recreational ball. Geno is in the Hall of Fame because of his basketball acumen, not because he has a soft heart. We'd all like to see Charde succeed, but that decision is Charde's, not Geno's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Hawks NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best Logo in the America East (Jul '14) Jul '14 Mike Sivo 1
News UConn women respond well to Geno's test (Nov '07) Apr '13 BPT 8
News Shooting Victim Identified -- Courant.com (Oct '07) Feb '13 seriousbizz 66
News BYU coach a big UConn women booster (Dec '07) Jun '11 America Gentleman... 3
News Hoops down under: Drake grad Sabia on Australia... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Go Morgan 1
News Former MC standout Michael Turner lands with Ge... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Jose Queervo 1
News Moms, Dads Urged To Be Stronger Advocates -- Co... (Oct '07) Jul '09 Lew Day 30
More from around the web