High school teacher resigns after drug charges

Cary Forrest, a U.S. history teacher who had been the boys basketball coach at Kecoughtan High School since 2002, was served a summons and charged with possession of marijuana and alcohol on school grounds ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Nov 07

Norfolk, VA

#42 Nov 25, 2007
The point is ZERO TOLERANCE. The policies are put in place for a reason and they should be upheld even when it's a teacher. Do you really want someone who gets high influencing your children?

“I HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News VA

#43 Nov 26, 2007
The last I heard you could not get high off of seeds. Did they test this teacher to see if there was any THC in their system? We don't know. Just because you have a seed does not mean you have weed. If I have tomato seeds does that guarantee me tomatoes?
By all accounts this was a good teacher that the students loved and learned from. I feel that he made someone mad and he is being retaliated against.
Zero tolerance is subjective. In the last year or two a child took a loaded gun to a local high school, this child received in school suspension, because administrators said he carried it because he was scared, because of gang violence in his neighborhood.
I would rather have a teacher that smokes pot teaching my child than a child with a loaded gun sitting next to them in class.
breaking news

Newport News, VA

#44 Nov 26, 2007
Forrest was cleared of all charges in court today. Seems the "pot" seeds the Daily Press and the media jumped on were not even drugs. After testing by the police department they were found to be harmless seeds from some other plant. Ruh roh!!!!!
Well now

Newport News, VA

#45 Nov 26, 2007
breaking news wrote:
Forrest was cleared of all charges in court today. Seems the "pot" seeds the Daily Press and the media jumped on were not even drugs. After testing by the police department they were found to be harmless seeds from some other plant. Ruh roh!!!!!
Money says this will not even make the paper as it is not controversial enough for them. There were at least three articles condemning this coach for his "pot" and "booze". Great job DP of trying the man in the media and jumping to conclusions. How does it feel to ruin someone's life over nothing?? Oh! Wait, its seems to be something you do weekly! Go to Journalism school...you may learn something.

Since: Jun 07

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#46 Nov 26, 2007
breaking news wrote:
Forrest was cleared of all charges in court today.....
Now all he needs is a few good trial
lawyers.

Since: Jun 07

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#47 Nov 26, 2007
N Rollins wrote:
... Do you really want someone who gets high influencing your children?
Do you really want someone who listens to
Pat Robertson teaching your children?

Newport News VA

#48 Nov 26, 2007
breaking news wrote:
YES YES YES!!!!!!:-) I could not be more thrilled! This man needs a very public apology, back wages if he was on leave without pay, to include interest and find a new school system to teach in! I hope this teacher gets very litigious.
The moron/morons that said they were weed seeds needs to find a new job, both police and media.
Well now

Newport News, VA

#50 Nov 26, 2007
WTT wrote:
Would you rather your child got his weed from a responsible citizen like a teacher or some thug on a street corner?
A collective WTF is in order for this comment. Have you even read the entire post?
HCH parent

Newport News, VA

#51 Nov 26, 2007
If my child had been raked over the coals like this and found innocent, I would have wanted answers as to why they were tried by the school system and the press before the court system. I am now going to ask the same question, why was someone so tried in the school and the media without the common courtesy of a court trial? I hope heads roll because if this were my child, I would be going all the way. Good luck.
BACK UP THE TRUCK

AOL

#52 Nov 26, 2007
Unbelievable!! Tomorrows headlines should read "Veteran Hampton School teacher railroaded out of job on trumped up drug charges!!!" The Hampton School District, the Hampton Police Dept, the Daily Press and other TV media should be ashamed, embarassed and concerned$$ for how this was handled. Convicted before PROVEN INNOCENT!!! What country do we live in anyway? I hope local media will be just as quick to publicly cover Mr. Forrests innocence in this case, as they were to convict him in the press. To say an apology is in order is a significant understatement.

Also, agree with others that this sounds like a conspiracy in the school district. Back up the BRINKS truck for Mr Forrest, the school district has some explaining to do!!!
tabfodder

Newport News, VA

#53 Nov 26, 2007
We live in a country that is based on the principle of innocent until proven guilty. Was that the case here? Look at some of the previous post--these people should be ashamed. Many top heads should roll for this injustice. I hope the city does right by this teacher-coach. Will the city leaders and Daily Press even apologize?
Hey Tab

Newport News, VA

#54 Nov 26, 2007
I doubt anything happens. The powers that be circle the wagons and blame each other. The odds of this guy getting an apology are...well..NONE!!! How come there is no accountability to the police who arrested him? How come the school officials (principal, superintendant, etc) who fired him for no reason get off scott free? An earlier post said the seeds were not even drugs. What does that say about the idiot cops who were at the school that day?

Newport News VA

#55 Nov 27, 2007
Hey Tab wrote:
I doubt anything happens. The powers that be circle the wagons and blame each other. The odds of this guy getting an apology are...well..NONE!!! How come there is no accountability to the police who arrested him? How come the school officials (principal, superintendant, etc) who fired him for no reason get off scott free? An earlier post said the seeds were not even drugs. What does that say about the idiot cops who were at the school that day?
"Idiot cops" ,idiot administration and idiot media. I hope he sues the school system and wins for so much money they have to eat bologna and swear it's steak!
Warm Fuzzies

Harrisonburg, VA

#56 Nov 27, 2007
And people wonder why it's hard to recruit good teachers.
Ever wonder what it felt like to be General Custer? Take a teaching job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legree's four TD passes lead Hampton past N.C. ... (Sep '10) Sep '10 HU pride 1
Former Santa Fe standout Pellum gives back to t... (Jul '10) Aug '10 BIg Chief 6
FOOTBALL: Familiar face lends hand at Santa Fe ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 deathvalley 5
Friends, family remember Hampton University's T... (Oct '09) Oct '09 Brittany 4
Pope's NFL pursuit (Jun '09) Jun '09 xyz 1
Two HU athletes headed to NCAA track and field ... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Captain Like 3
Charges dropped against ex-Kecoughtan teacher (Nov '07) Jun '09 Innocent Bystander 61
More from around the web