High school teacher resigns after dru...

High school teacher resigns after drug charges

There are 54 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 2, 2007, titled High school teacher resigns after drug charges. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Cary Forrest, a U.S. history teacher who had been the boys basketball coach at Kecoughtan High School since 2002, was served a summons and charged with possession of marijuana and alcohol on school grounds ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
LOL

Newport News, VA

#2 Nov 2, 2007
Go to California, they will hire you there.
Oh Well

Newport News, VA

#3 Nov 2, 2007
Wonder how often he watched Cheech and Chong
dat boi jb

Norfolk, VA

#4 Nov 2, 2007
maybe he thought he had to be under the influence instructing those disrespectful brats that are within the school system.
hey netball

Norfolk, VA

#5 Nov 3, 2007
Maybe Johnny can't read and write because his parents are IDIOTS WHO ONLY USE CAPS and bad punctuation.
Look deeper

United States

#6 Nov 3, 2007
Teachers using drugs and booze, birth control for 11 year olds, sex with a minor by a teacher and the list goes on. Wonder when Americans are going to demand a better system than what is offered?.
JOY WILEY LOVELACE

Lincoln, NE

#7 Nov 3, 2007
TO MAKE MR. FLOWER'S RESIGN OVER THAT IS TOTAL BULL CRAP! HE WAS ONE OF MY BEST TEACHERS! I DON'T THINK 6 SEEDS AND A COUPLE UNOPENED BOTTLES ARE WORTH LOSING A GREAT TEACHER OVER. THERE WERE WORSE THINGS GOING ON THERE IN 1994 AND NOBODY GAVE A CRAP ENOUGH TO FIX IT THEN. I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY STILL ALLOW SOME OF THE TEACHERS I HAD TO CONTINUE TEACHING SO POORLY, CAUSING STUDENTS TO LEARN LESS. I AM ALMOST ASHAMED TO SAY I ATTENDED THAT SCHOOL.
Allergy Symptoms

Portsmouth, VA

#8 Nov 4, 2007
Look deeper wrote:
Teachers using drugs and booze, birth control for 11 year olds, sex with a minor by a teacher and the list goes on. Wonder when Americans are going to demand a better system than what is offered?.
What have you done to demand a better system?
Bottom Line

United States

#9 Nov 4, 2007
I have offered a change on how we account in public schools. First, do back ground checks on all school employees. Second, don't allocate funding based on how many kids show up for classes each day. I think funding should be based on scores and graduate rates, i.e. "success". Oh, I have ran for public office and continue to be active in politics. So I don't just sign on and run my mouth like most of these people.

Since: Jun 07

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#10 Nov 4, 2007
Bottom Line wrote:
I have offered a change on how we account in public schools. First, do back ground checks on all school employees. Second, don't allocate funding based on how many kids show up for classes each day. I think funding should be based on scores and graduate rates, i.e. "success". Oh, I have ran for public office and continue to be active in politics. So I don't just sign on and run my mouth like most of these people.
So your 'running of the mouth' is special?

Schools already do background checks.

Didn't the article say those beer bottles
were unopened?

Bottom Line

United States

#11 Nov 4, 2007
marcaurelius wrote:
<quoted text>
So your 'running of the mouth' is special?
Schools already do background checks.
Didn't the article say those beer bottles
were unopened?
Apparently you just don't get it. Sorry for your luck.
bobby

United States

#12 Nov 4, 2007
Forrest was my teacher while I was at kecoughtan. It's a shame to see him "resign" over something so ridiculus. He was passionate about what he taught and I learned more in his class then any other history class. He always had a lot to add to whatever we learned. Most of the "clean" teachers didn't teach me a single thing.

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#13 Nov 5, 2007
Bottom Line wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you just don't get it. Sorry for your luck.
Well, tell us what you know about the
teacher hiring process.

“I HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News VA

#14 Nov 5, 2007
I'm sitting here wondering who Cary Forrest P.O.ed.?
Daisy

Norfolk, VA

#15 Nov 5, 2007
Bottom Line wrote:
They do back ground checks, right down to the bus drivers. I'll also bet in college that you didn't inhale.

“I make a difference!!”

Newport News, VA

#16 Nov 5, 2007
Bottom Line wrote:
1. They do background checks. Extensive ones. We have to get fingerprinted, and go through tests. They don't just hire anyone.

2. The minute you start funding on basis of "success" is the minute you start seeing inner city schools get less materials and funding. Sometimes it's not the fault of the teachers for students not succeeding. I can do all the work in the world and still not reach my students because they have no value for education. If they don't care and they don't have the reinforcement at home, it's improbable that teachers are going to affect their view of the world.

There's probably a reason that you've only "run" for office and haven't won. Take a step inside the local educational system...spend a day inside a high school classroom, and THEN pass judgment.

I'm not saying that I condone the actions of the teacher who resigned. I don't. I think that is reckless for a teacher who should be a role model and know better...but I don't blame the system. The teacher knew full well what he did, and he knew what the consequences would be. I have no pity on him.
Independent

Portsmouth, VA

#17 Nov 5, 2007
You know, I do believe some of you when you say this guy was / is a great teacher and a great guy. But unfortunately he is also stupid that he could not give up weed and alcohol (and on school property). Every school system has a student handbook. Same thing with the teachers and administrators - I'm sure they are fully informed about the policies (alcohol on campus) and the last time I checked, weed was still illegal anywhere. Why oh why do people risk their positions and the confidence placed in them?
Sam

Newport News, VA

#18 Nov 5, 2007
Independent wrote:
You know, I do believe some of you when you say this guy was / is a great teacher and a great guy. But unfortunately he is also stupid that he could not give up weed and alcohol (and on school property). Every school system has a student handbook. Same thing with the teachers and administrators - I'm sure they are fully informed about the policies (alcohol on campus) and the last time I checked, weed was still illegal anywhere. Why oh why do people risk their positions and the confidence placed in them?
First the beer was UNOPENED and according to a friend of mine, who works at Kecoughtan, the beer was found in the trunk of the car. I am sure the coach numerous over the years, as Hampton does not provide transportation for extracurricular activities like Newport News. How could you refer to someone as "stupid" based on the slight amount of knowledge you get from The Daily DePressed. The lesson here is that educators who go the extra mile should be leary of the possible consequences of actually caring about students. As the only white basketball coach in the city of Hampton, at any level, this sounds a bit like Bakke v. California (look it up)...
MBC

United States

#19 Nov 5, 2007
Ok, I'll concede that finding an unopened beer in the car trunk is not that big of a deal. So what about the weed?

btwn L Erie and Ohio R,

#20 Nov 5, 2007
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
... the beer was UNOPENED ... found in the trunk of the car....
that is what I thought.

sounds like nonsense. And the school board
just hung him out to dry.

scared chicken CYA.

“I HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO”

Newport News VA

#21 Nov 6, 2007
MBC wrote:
Ok, I'll concede that finding an unopened beer in the car trunk is not that big of a deal. So what about the weed?
I didn't relize there had been any weed. I thought it was seeds.

If I have tomato seeds a friend gave me does that guarantee me any tomatoes?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Jul '16 Brown eyed girl 1124 85
News Legree's four TD passes lead Hampton past N.C. ... (Sep '10) Sep '10 HU pride 1
News Former Santa Fe standout Pellum gives back to t... (Jul '10) Aug '10 BIg Chief 6
News FOOTBALL: Familiar face lends hand at Santa Fe ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 deathvalley 5
News Friends, family remember Hampton University's T... (Oct '09) Oct '09 Brittany 4
News Pope's NFL pursuit (Jun '09) Jun '09 xyz 1
News Two HU athletes headed to NCAA track and field ... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Captain Like 3
More from around the web