Holmes out as Pirates coach

Jerry Holmes' tenure at Hampton lasted just one season. Holmes was dismissed as the Pirates' head coach on Monday and replaced with veteran assistant Donovan Rose. Full Story
MICHEAL DUNN 1974

Williamsburg, VA

#1 Jan 27, 2009
I heard this no good MF speak at a sport banquet a year or so ago where he and others were being honored. Along with this group was Ronald Curry. This ding bat, Holmes had to make a comment while giving his speech something like.... about the " real best qb from the Peninsula was......Mike Dunn. Well no doubt Dunn was good, even great. But to say something like that during an awards gig is just plain stupoid. He belongd coaching over on ABERDEEN ROAD.
Micheal Dumb

Norfolk, VA

#2 Jan 27, 2009
You are an idiot. It is obvious that you dont know the man. If he is a ding bat then why will he be coaching in the pros next year. What will you be doing, holding on to your failed past. How about putting the 40 and the cigarettes down your to old for that now.
MICHEAL DUNN 1974

Williamsburg, VA

#3 Jan 27, 2009
Micheal Dumb wrote:
You are an idiot. It is obvious that you dont know the man. If he is a ding bat then why will he be coaching in the pros next year. What will you be doing, holding on to your failed past. How about putting the 40 and the cigarettes down your to old for that now.
I was being nice. What I was really refering to was how I TRULEY WASN'T IMPRESSED with the guy during an awards ceramony I was at where he was honored along with others. It seems as though they weren't impressed with him either at HU, ising the "talking to others" as an excuse to cut him off, there is always a scap goat excuse.No 40 here bro or cigarettes, sounds like that's your gig.
MICHEAL DUNN 1974

Williamsburg, VA

#4 Jan 27, 2009
Micheal Dumb wrote:
Oh, and what will I be doing, still making my 6 figures, that don't start with the number 1, and hanging with the premiers.
JMU

Greensboro, NC

#5 Jan 27, 2009
This is what i love about HBC sports programs, there is no mandatoring meeting with all the coaches, then some coaches, then meeting with the alums then blah blah blah.... go straight to the source ask him what he's doing then can em. Great job HU you're too good of a school for this piece of trash. I know Donovan Rose will do a great job.
Pirate Family Fan

AOL

#6 Jan 27, 2009
You reap what you sow- in every way.
Hampton deserves better.
Adios, Holmes....
Wow

Norfolk, VA

#7 Jan 27, 2009
What background information or first hand knowledge do you guys have thats causes so much dislike for this coach? In the article the players seem to be honestly disappointed that he is leaving.
Truth hurts

United States

#8 Jan 27, 2009
People who make 6 figures, don't talk about it! Keep working hard Dunn.....
Doesn't sound like Hampton is interested in KEEPING anyone. Oh well, another one bites the dust. Good Luck, Rose!
Sinking Ship

Duluth, GA

#9 Jan 27, 2009
I was very disappointed to wake up to this news today, yet not surprised. The demise of the program started with the loss of Coach Taylor for seemingly the same reason Coach Holmes was dismissed. I am not sure if Holmes knew the insides to the program with the departure of Coach Taylor, but the writing was on the wall, in plain sight. How does a winning program let go of one of the most prominent coaches like Taylor, and not just in HBCU football I might add, and then after one season let go of a seasoned collegiate and professional coach? Where are the Booster's in all of this? Who is the captain of the ship over there? Well time will show that whomever is driving that ship is also the one putting holes in the hull of it too! HU had a chance to be the second coming of Robinson/Grambling U, but alas we have passed the reign over to FAMU and SCSU. Funny how they don't turn down games versus big time I-A schools for millions of dollars....
DWIGHT

Williamsburg, VA

#10 Jan 27, 2009
Truth hurts wrote:
People who make 6 figures, don't talk about it! Keep working hard Dunn.....
Doesn't sound like Hampton is interested in KEEPING anyone. Oh well, another one bites the dust. Good Luck, Rose!
Never talk about it, only in type. People close to me know what I make, just ask my accountant.
On another note, ole Mike Smith was looking for a college job, he would fit right in here. We could call it "Shell Road U "
common sense

Milford, VA

#11 Jan 27, 2009
HU did what it had to do. Boston College just did the same thing (and that guy didn't even get the job!!). Whether or not Holmes was a good/bad coach or good/bad guy is irrelevant here. He put his feelers out for another job which implied he wasn't sticking around for this job. HU wants someone who will work with them and continue to build their program.
Fallen Dynasty

Damascus, MD

#12 Jan 27, 2009
I am a former player at HU who played under Coach Taylor, Holmes and Rose and I think the question is not if HU did What it had to do? The question is why HU has quality Coaches consistently seeking employment elsewhere? Is it because Hampton has a history of grossly underpaying their paying Coaches regardless of their accomplishments? Or is it because they turn down games versus big time I-A schools like West Virginia and Michigan for millions of dollars? Regardless, this is starting smell like the Raiders and Owner Al Davis on a small scale.
HU Fball Player FACTS I

Hampton, VA

#13 Jan 27, 2009
I decided to write this because I as well as many of my teammates dont think the facts of this situation with Coach Holmes are being said in the public eye and media. I hope these facts wont be returned with threats or attacks to our football program by the administration.
First off there is no better Head Coach than Jerry Holmes. I also played while he was the Defensive Coordinator at HU and as the Head Coach. The kids love him because he brings more to the table than X's & O's. You tell me a head coach that uses his own money to bring kids to the doctor when the administration won't? A head coach that will get on the phone and try to get you a job, opportunity at grad school, internships, or even a tryout with a pro team? There is no one like that. Plus all that he had to put up with is ridiculous: 1) Compliance person who knows nothing about compliance (secretary in school museum then promoted to director of compliance). We had players cleared to come into HU on scholarship by her but then find out day of game they cant play even they were told they could prior now they have a bill of 17K even though they signed a scholarship saying they were cleared. This happen to about six of our projected starters. 2) Coaches having to hold various positions due to insufficient staffing 3) Insufficient academic support resources for players. 4) poor facilities (please see our locker room, its never been cleaned or sterilized).
Second thing is as one of the former Pirates stated you can't expect to retain good coaches when you pay assistants 29-40K a year, and only 90,000 thousand to the Head Coach. Put this in perspective the Offensive Coordinator at FAMU is making 93 thousand a year, average assistant 65K and Coach Taylor 200K. Would you want to basically make the same as someone working at Walmart, when you work over 70hrs a week? Hell No.
HU Fball Player FACTS II

Hampton, VA

#14 Jan 27, 2009
Third thing, Holmes has been going to the Senior Bowl year after year prior to even becoming the head coach, as any coach in the USA does to 1) Meet with other head coaches. 2) Market the schools players. Look at HU since he arrived back in 2004, there has been a player drafted almost every year, and numbers signed to free agent contracts. None of this was evident prior to his return.
I wish Coach Rose the best, but is this the best thing for HU? Honestly NO. HU's defense went from being the tops in the past when Holmes was the defensive coordinator then Rose takes over and we finish 7th in the MEAC...you've got to be kidding me. And then he's demoted from being he Defensive Coordinator following the this past season, with the recommendation from the AD and today he is named Head Coach? But we award him the title of Head Coach now? I understand he has been at HU for many many years but yet he never advanced to the defensive coordinator position under Taylor for 16 years for a legitimate reason, he wasn't fit for the position and 2008's season was a clear sign of that. Another thing to look at is that in 2008 when Taylor left, Rose wasn't a qualified candidate in the eyes of the administration & the same AD to become he Head coach then, but a year later he is what the university states as the guy they need for the program? Not good enough then but now he is? I really hope this hire doesn't put the dagger in the HU's winning tradition. I also hope this hire wasn't just done because Rose is the cousin of the president which he always makes sure to remind us of.
As for the AD, he is killing HU athletics as a whole. He is not respected by alumni or the athletes at HU. Its hard to admire a man that cant make decisions on his own and has others around him make the decision for him. Its also discouraging when you hear someone preaching character to us but at the same token is seen daily leaving the schools on-campus watering tavern (Katherine house)after throwing down a couple cold beverages tipsy then hopping into his car. Or fraternizing with other staff members right in the open with no shame. As a student-athlete how can you look up to this or respect these actions. Accountability should be two-fold. This is not the SWAC, this is a first class MEAC school, so lets put an end to allowing people bring down HU. I look back at the overall performance for all sports on & off the field and there is significant drop off. Mediocre records, major academic issues and campus issues are not what we are about at HU. Bring back Taylor or Avery and things would be better off. They were both respected & admired by all.
I Love my H-I-U and just want to see us excel and be prosperous again. Lets start by keeping men that can change our program for the better and get rid of those that don't represent the blue and white.
Is It Just Me

Virginia Beach, VA

#15 Jan 28, 2009
HU Fball Player FACTS II wrote:
this was well written point of view. I call it a point of view because the only facts are those presented by HU admin. I am a former employee and HU admin doesn't take to kindly to opposing points of views from staff or students. Believe that! Remember the Hampton Script fiasco?
Blue Blood

Greenville, SC

#16 Jan 28, 2009
I,too am a former "Football Frat" who played under Coach Taylor. I was sick when Taylor left. But the same reasons were present when I was there; not being paid enough. Let me explain to you what this man did. He took a 1-9 team in 1991, moved players to different positions, brought in his philosophy about life, football and leadership and the next year they went 10-1. That's coaching. From 1992 to 2000, nearly every player walked away with a championship ring. My brother walked away with three and I was blessed to walk away with two. I have always been told that to be the best, you have to beat the best. In my case, I just wanted to be like the best. As a head coach myself, my philosophy of football closely followed Taylors. Weather you loved him or hated him, he was and still is good at what he does.
Taylor was suppose to finish up his coaching career at HU then live out his days as AD. Much respect to Coach Holmes, although I never played for him. I only know what I was there for and that was the experience of the Joe Taylor Era. HU made a huge mistake of letting him go. I still cheer for Taylor and send him an email every year to wish him good luck on the season. He taught me alot and for that I am very greatful.
common sense

Hampton, VA

#17 Jan 28, 2009
All of you bring up very good points. Maybe HUs athletic director will read these, now that there's public knowledge and do something about it!! If you pay with mediocrity you'll always only get mediocrity to stay. All the HU coaches are doing is using it for a stepping stone. To the AD, you get what you pay for.

Too bad the article didn't reveal the whole truth.
common sense

Hampton, VA

#18 Jan 28, 2009
Thanks for enlightening us.
IDIOT

Jersey City, NJ

#19 Jan 30, 2009
MICHEAL DUNN 1974 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and what will I be doing, still making my 6 figures, that don't start with the number 1, and hanging with the premiers.
I have worked in Corporate America and I know first hand those who brags about what they get paid "DO NOT" so chill with how much you get paid. Never went to HAMPTON but if they are teaching students to be loyal means do not go for better opportinities certainly will not be successful. I clap my hands to coach Holmes for looking for other opportunities because certainly he must have been loyalto something considering what HAMPTON was paying him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Mar 2 CS Rosenberg 71
Legree's four TD passes lead Hampton past N.C. ... (Sep '10) Sep '10 HU pride 1
Former Santa Fe standout Pellum gives back to t... (Jul '10) Aug '10 BIg Chief 6
FOOTBALL: Familiar face lends hand at Santa Fe ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 deathvalley 5
Friends, family remember Hampton University's T... (Oct '09) Oct '09 Brittany 4
Pope's NFL pursuit (Jun '09) Jun '09 xyz 1
Two HU athletes headed to NCAA track and field ... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Captain Like 3
More from around the web