Iverson gives $100,000 to NN Gun Buy ...

Iverson gives $100,000 to NN Gun Buy Back program

There are 75 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Jan 17, 2008, titled Iverson gives $100,000 to NN Gun Buy Back program. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Basketball star Allen Iverson is donating $100,000 to support the Newport News Police Department's "Gun Buy Back" program, U.S. Rep.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
very nice

Virginia Beach, VA

#1 Jan 17, 2008
That was very nice of him but I thought the article was supposed to be about the good deed he did...I do think the gun buyback program will do more good than harm. I wasn't really interested in everything he did wrong in his life though! I guess that was included just incase some of the kids who weren't born in 1993 and need a role model now won't pick him...

Anyway, Thanks A.I.!!! and thanks DP for ruining a good story!
DEB

United States

#2 Jan 17, 2008
I totally agree with "Very Nice". A good story ruined by DP.
CHRIS

United States

#4 Jan 17, 2008
BE CAREFUL FOLKS. THIS IS A START BY THE GOVERNMENT TO TAKE AWAY OUR RIGHT TO HAVE FIREARMS. DONT PARTICIPATE IN THIS PROGRAM!!
Buy back

Hustle, VA

#5 Jan 17, 2008
Iverson must have thought this was a chair buy back program
Michelle

Hampton, VA

#6 Jan 17, 2008
Applause for Iverson - I'm looking at the article in the sense of yes, DP probably didn't need to put his criminal background history in it, but it's also a good example to show that some people can learn and still be able to grow into a contributal and positive member in their community.
Jessica F

Hampton, VA

#7 Jan 17, 2008
Good for him. While he does have a colorful past I think he will be okay now. I think that he has grown up quite a bit and will remain of good behavior. I'm glad he helped us out.
Will Kofa

Virginia Beach, VA

#8 Jan 17, 2008
Question, considering Iverson's past misdeeds, is this someone looking to disarm future victims? Not withstanding the fact that gun buybacks have been shown to useless and wastes of time and money.

His criminal misdeeds needed to be part of the story. It gives us clues to his motivations.
Closet republican

Huntsville, AL

#10 Jan 17, 2008
The guns they sell will be the guns they can't get a greater value for on the street. The money they get for these crappy guns will be used to buy better ones. That is if it isn't used for crack or wine.
its possible

United States

#12 Jan 17, 2008
Thoughtful
Michael Vick

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Jan 17, 2008
Way to go Alan, do you still carry a weapon under your clothes, Nice gesture but maybe if you set an example NN/ Hampton would be on the right track. You can take the thug out of the city but you cant take the thug out of the man.
Scott

Williamsburg, VA

#14 Jan 17, 2008
Another attempt of Gun Control. I agree with Chris BE CAREFUL/DON'T PARTICIPATE! The beginning of Tyranny is GUN CONTROL. Fear the Government and even Basketball Stars that FEAR your GUN(S)...I can think of alot of other really nice issues to donate 100K to. Schools and city parks to name a few. Let's keep America FREE!
Susan Greene

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#15 Jan 17, 2008
Will Kofa wrote:
Question, considering Iverson's past misdeeds, is this someone looking to disarm future victims? Not withstanding the fact that gun buybacks have been shown to useless and wastes of time and money.
His criminal misdeeds needed to be part of the story. It gives us clues to his motivations.
To prevent future criminals AND victims.
Susan Greene

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#16 Jan 17, 2008
Scott wrote:
Another attempt of Gun Control. I agree with Chris BE CAREFUL/DON'T PARTICIPATE! The beginning of Tyranny is GUN CONTROL. Fear the Government and even Basketball Stars that FEAR your GUN(S)...I can think of alot of other really nice issues to donate 100K to. Schools and city parks to name a few. Let's keep America FREE!
Stop beating your chest over a deficient amendment that needed revision many years ago!
Brian

Newport News, VA

#17 Jan 17, 2008
Some of you are very interesting. So what if the program does not make a big difference. At least for once the police are trying to do a good deed. I applaud Iverson for his donation. It shows that he has grown into adult hood. They didnt have to list out his crimes though. They could just stuck with saying he has had run ins. It down plays the good deed he is doing.
Walther

Virginia Beach, VA

#18 Jan 17, 2008
Two things. First, Iverson is a punk ass that tried to kill a girl many years ago in Newport News. Doesn't anyone remember that he tried to beat her over the head with a chair in a bowling alley in Newport News? He is a dangerous felon that is only walking around because he was "pardoned" by the loser Wilder. So, anything he does is crap and only meant to make people "like him". Second, and more important, gun buybacks only take garbage useless pieces of metal and turn them into real money which is then used to buy "good" illegal guns for the thugs. That is a fact. Such a stupid bunch of people who don't know this.
2 cents

Newport News, VA

#19 Jan 17, 2008
Wouldn't it have been enough to just report on the positive aspects of this story.

Those of us from this area are already aware of his past; and those who aren't probably don't care and really don't need to know. Let it go! People grow up and change.
whatever

Annapolis, MD

#20 Jan 17, 2008
How can you "buy back" something that wasnt yours in the first place?

The whole notion of a buy-back somehow being helpful is as mistaken as its name is.

Guns do not kill people - people do. So what do you think the *bad* people who turn in these guns (that they needed to get rid of anyway b/c they were used in a crime) are going to do with the money? Um, yeah, they are going to go out and buy some new bibles, right?

Other than that, since I'm not going to sell any of my guns, I dont see a program such as this as actually hurting anything - its just a bunch of idiots schuffling money around to *feel* good about themselves. Nothing of any substance will actually change, but people will *feel* nice, and thats what prevents crime, right?

AI's $100,000 is pure PR, and Bobby Scott will trumpet his "success" as loud as he can for as long as he can. Nothing changes, another day in, another day out, same old bs in the NN.
i dont know

Virginia Beach, VA

#21 Jan 17, 2008
maybe i'm missing the point...if they buy back the "illegal" guns...won't that make it harder to use the money to buy illegal guns? if they buy back say 5 of the say 1000 illegal guns, now there's only 995 left on the street. that could save the life of 1 person, who could be one of your loved ones...I think if the whole program saves 1 priceless life, it was all worth it. and Iverson didn't have to give 1 dime!
NO MORE KILLINGS

Bensalem, PA

#22 Jan 17, 2008
GREAT PEOPLE DO GREAT THINGS.
DAILY PRESS IS A NEGATIVE NEWS PAPER COMPANY. I WOULD LIKE TO ASK THE DAILY PRESS WHAT DID IVERSON GIVING MONEY TO SUPPORT A GREAT CAUSE HAVE TO DO WITH HIS PAST? WHAT HAVE THE DAILY PRESS DONATED OR DONE TO TRY AND STOP ALL THE KILLINGS THAT GOES ON EVERYDAY IN HAMPTON ROADS. THEY WRITE THE NEWS SO THEY KNOW ABOUT ALL THE CRIMES AND MURDERS. ALL THEY CAN DO IS TRY AND DOWNGRADE SOMEONE WHO IS TRYING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. SHAME ON YOU DAILY PRESS. THERE IS ENOUGH NEGATIVE THINGS GOING ON IN YOUR PART OF TOWN WITHOUT HAVING THE NEWS PAPER BEING A PART OF IT.
Creomama

Denver, CO

#23 Jan 17, 2008
whatever wrote:
How can you "buy back" something that wasnt yours in the first place?
The whole notion of a buy-back somehow being helpful is as mistaken as its name is.
Guns do not kill people - people do. So what do you think the *bad* people who turn in these guns (that they needed to get rid of anyway b/c they were used in a crime) are going to do with the money? Um, yeah, they are going to go out and buy some new bibles, right?
Other than that, since I'm not going to sell any of my guns, I dont see a program such as this as actually hurting anything - its just a bunch of idiots schuffling money around to *feel* good about themselves. Nothing of any substance will actually change, but people will *feel* nice, and thats what prevents crime, right?
AI's $100,000 is pure PR, and Bobby Scott will trumpet his "success" as loud as he can for as long as he can. Nothing changes, another day in, another day out, same old bs in the NN.
Since it's people who kill people and not the guns, what is your excuse for owning one and further more, do you have a better solution? If you don't have a solution to the real problem, shut up and sit down. Question is what are you doing to solve the problem? Either you are part of the problem or you're part of the solution. By the way, it's apparent that you've never lost a loved one to a senseless death due to someone using a gun.

Way to go AI! Keep up the good work. There are some of us who know that you do plenty of other positive things in this community such as the celebrity baseball game and celebrety basketball game and the donations that you make both monetary and equipment to the many youth recreation sports programs throughout Tidewater. Thank you for giving back. No matter what you do, there are people who will never allow you to forget your past. I am proud of the fact that you've not let them deter you from at least trying to do something positive. All they have done is run their mouth. Action speaks louder than words!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hampton University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) Jul '16 Brown eyed girl 1124 85
News Legree's four TD passes lead Hampton past N.C. ... (Sep '10) Sep '10 HU pride 1
News Former Santa Fe standout Pellum gives back to t... (Jul '10) Aug '10 BIg Chief 6
News FOOTBALL: Familiar face lends hand at Santa Fe ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 deathvalley 5
News Friends, family remember Hampton University's T... (Oct '09) Oct '09 Brittany 4
News Pope's NFL pursuit (Jun '09) Jun '09 xyz 1
News Two HU athletes headed to NCAA track and field ... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Captain Like 3
More from around the web