Georgia Tech predicted to win 2009 ACC football crown

Jan 3, 2009 Read more: Hampton Roads Daily Press 15
Virginia Tech could gain its third straight crown, but the Yellow Jackets' triple-option attack is tough and should have plenty of experience. Read more
Cyberobb99

United States

#1 Jan 4, 2009
Norm, you act as though VT won't improve even though GT will. VT dominates the league, more so on the road. Look for a threepeat for VT and BC in the ACC-CG
JC Daniels

Hinesville, GA

#2 Jan 4, 2009
When will you learn? How many times does history have to slap somebody in the face for them to get the point? Seriously, what would it take, 2 more, 3 more ACC titles by Virginia Tech to get the point across? 3 titles in 5 years and VT has only been picked to win the conference 1 out of those 5 years by most in the media? Do you guys ever learn from history? Do you understand that no option offense has been effective against Bud Foster's defense in his 14 years as the defensive coordinator at VT? You actually think GT's offense is going to line up and fool Tech by running the ball with the option? VT's defense is well coached and disciplined. You should no better with what VT has returning. VT's defense is going to actually be better next year. VT easily wins the Coastal as GT's offense is adjusted to and prepared for by it's ACC opponents throughout the spring and late summer.
JC Daniels

Hinesville, GA

#3 Jan 4, 2009
History brother, history 101. When will you guys learn in the media that history is a huge teacher of future events? VT has won the conference 3 times in 5 years and only picked to win it 1 time out of those 5 years. You actually think an option offense will be effective against VT's defense? In 14 years of Foster as the DC at Tech, when has an option offense ever been effective? The answer is...never. Learn from history Norm. Does history have to smack you in the fact 2 more times, 3 more times? How many conference titles will it take for you to get the message?
D Barrett

Bristow, VA

#4 Jan 4, 2009
Norm, we are just going to have to re-evaluate what your opinion is worth, bro. Picking GT!!!??? You have really lost it... Tech will win the Coastal all right but it will be VA Tech. Most everyone will be better in the ACC next year and that is bad news for GT. Stopping the option will get to be less and less of a problem for the ACC as time goes on. If they have time to prepare then defenses with speed and a modicum of discipline will tear up an option team. Repeat after me: It's why nobody runs the option anymore! It's really simple - if it's a running play then no matter what, tackle the fullback, the QB, and the RB on every play - don't worry about the ball just tackle these guys hard. One of them will have it and all three are on the ground. As a side benefit for the defense, by the middle of the 3rd quarter, the option team is out of QBs. Hopefully, this ridiculous pick (GT) is simply the result of a massive, dreadful hangover and not a true indicator of your analytic prowess. At least I hope so...
Good Grief

Suffolk, VA

#5 Jan 4, 2009
This is the paper that endorsed McCain and Ms. Moose so what can you expect? GO HOKIES !!
Wondering

Chesapeake, VA

#6 Jan 5, 2009
One thing I've learned about past predictions for the ACC is....you cannot predict it. Oh you can forecast based on returning players and assuming they improve, but you can't at all predict what down team suddenly is better, or what good team suddenly is a disappointment.

Happens every year in the ACC. GT has been picked as a favorite several times over the last several years, they always seem to fall just a bit short. Now, there's a new coach and perhaps a new attitude, but we'll see if they can get over the hump.
JJ Wilson

San Francisco, CA

#7 Jan 5, 2009
Kinda how Clemson was preseason favorites in 2008 and went 5-4 in ACC and 7-5 overall and lost the Bowl game, oh yeah and a head coach this year too. I would hold those bets on GA Tech just yet!
DCCavalier

Washington, DC

#8 Jan 5, 2009
I'm a Virgina fan, not VT, so what I write is not easy but I think the prediction of Georgia Tech as Coastal champ next year is a huge mistake.

In fact, I will go so far as to say that Georgia Tech, in Paul Johnson's second year, will be a major disappointment. His triple option offense caught a lot of people by surprise, but with all GT's opponents now having them on tape, defenses will be better prepared to defense against it. I see GT as 6-6 next year.

Having said all that, VT has enough folks coming back that there will be a two horse race for ACC Coastal honors next year. VT and UNC.

Last and lesst, I expect that my Cavaliers will do no better than 6-6 and hopefully the end of the Al Groh era.
Wondering

Newport News, VA

#9 Jan 5, 2009
with Jameel Sewell back, Chris Cook back and moving to Safety, and a new offensive scheme that would seemingly utilize Sewell's strengths and mask a poor run blocking O-Line, I expect UVA to be considerably better than in '08.

The new blood in the coaching staff coupled with the purge of infection Mike Groh put on this team, should re-invigorate the program overall.

I expect UVA to be around 8-4 next season.
Liebs

Atlanta, GA

#10 Jan 17, 2009
Just to point something out, but there are plenty of teams that had GT on film this season. Like FSU and Miami and Georgia (who also had a bye week before the game). Now granted GT will probably be a disappointment based on expectations, which will probably be a 10-win season and winning the ACC, which isn't really better than a 50% chance.

One last comment, people saying that the GT offense will be shut down due to teams having an offseason to prepare. You REALLY think teams are going to practice for any particular teams offense during the spring? ACC teams won't look at the GT offense until the week before they play them, like every other school in the country.
Navy grad

United States

#11 Feb 25, 2009
As a Navy fan who continued to watch Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech, all I can say is look out. He won ACC Coach of the Year for a reason. Look at this past year at Georgia Tech, his track record at my school, and any part of his career before that. I would not be surprised if he won the ACC next year. VT is pretty good too, but they only beat GT this past year by three points and lots of help from the referees. If Hokie fans think they shut down the spread option this year, I recommend they watch the game film again.
Game Film watcher

Raleigh, NC

#12 Apr 17, 2009
Did anybody see what UNC Defense did to the GA Tech offense.

UGLY
totally a GT fan

Kokomo, IN

#13 Nov 15, 2009
Looks like all of these people should be eating their words =) Paul Johnson has totally helped out our football team. He is a great coach and this is the beginning of something beautiful.
totally a GT fan

Kokomo, IN

#14 Nov 15, 2009
D Barrett wrote:
Norm, we are just going to have to re-evaluate what your opinion is worth, bro. Picking GT!!!??? You have really lost it... Tech will win the Coastal all right but it will be VA Tech. Most everyone will be better in the ACC next year and that is bad news for GT. Stopping the option will get to be less and less of a problem for the ACC as time goes on. If they have time to prepare then defenses with speed and a modicum of discipline will tear up an option team. Repeat after me: It's why nobody runs the option anymore! It's really simple - if it's a running play then no matter what, tackle the fullback, the QB, and the RB on every play - don't worry about the ball just tackle these guys hard. One of them will have it and all three are on the ground. As a side benefit for the defense, by the middle of the 3rd quarter, the option team is out of QBs. Hopefully, this ridiculous pick (GT) is simply the result of a massive, dreadful hangover and not a true indicator of your analytic prowess. At least I hope so...
Especially this guy. Is VA Tech even going to the ACC title game? hmmmmm?
realist

Tallahassee, FL

#15 Nov 16, 2009
totally a GT fan wrote:
Looks like all of these people should be eating their words =) Paul Johnson has totally helped out our football team. He is a great coach and this is the beginning of something beautiful.
Not only that, but the State of Georgia has great southern belles.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgia Institute of Technology NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What did the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets learn ... (Sep '14) Sep '14 pdmorgs 1
News East Tennessee high school gets new mascot design (Mar '07) Jul '14 Alvin 22
News Oakville basketball stars choosing different paths (May '14) May '14 Stephen Sutton 1
News Chargers take NT Carrethers in 5th round of draft (May '14) May '14 Murray Sullivan 1
News Blue Raiders to face run-heavy Navy in Armed Fo... (Dec '13) Dec '13 frmrder12 1
News Mason could keep foot on gas in 2014 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Michael Evans 1
News UVA Win Streak Ends With 66-60 Loss At Georgia ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Walose 1
More from around the web