Wiggins Contributes Beyond Stats

Doug Wiggins missed only two games while suspended last month. To him, it felt like a lifetime. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mary H

Willimantic, CT

#1 Feb 11, 2008
Does anyone understand what Calhoun is talking about in regards to Wiggins' suspension?
Pete

Meriden, CT

#2 Feb 11, 2008
Yes I do, Calhoun feels that all the negative comments and feelings from people like you (puritanical scolds) have abused the kid enough and he doesn't deserve have to suffer the opinions of authoritarian bigots! The people who have been so upset about Doug just like having other people suffer, they will never change, they are just pathetic!
Ranger G

Portland, CT

#3 Feb 11, 2008
Sorry to hear you feel that way. Read through previous post and learn. The majority of people, not all, felt a sense of betrayal, arrogance and disapointment in a young man who had been given the opportunity to improve his life and make something of himself. Unfortunately, he chose, on more than 2 occaisions, to do things that put that opportunity in jeopardy. Because he is a scholarship athlete, does he deserve more chances than you or I? Shouldn't he be held to the same standard? Most of us agree. It pains me to see this young man continue to struggle with desicion making. Life is not easy. I say stop holding his hand. It's time to grow up.

By the way, I have watched people suffer all over this planet for the better part of a 20yr military career. Trust me I, don't enjoy it. I've watched men of all colors and creeds beg for the pain to stop. I didn't enjoy that either. Me, a biggot? I don't think so.

Sua Sponte! RLTW
Ranger G

Portland, CT

#4 Feb 11, 2008
don't know why that posted twice...
PPPP

Roseland, NJ

#5 Feb 11, 2008
Hopefully he has learned to make better decisions...I'm sure he was just thinking about partying on his birthday, but it has caused him a lot of embarrassment...He probably read all of the posts of people calling him a thug that should work at McDonalds...Wiggins helps this team a lot...I hope he doesn't mess up again because he is down to his last strike.
mnfan

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Feb 11, 2008
Mr. Wiggins broke the team and school rules, more than once. Is this typical college age stuff, yes. What is the appropriate response? Admit your mistake and learn from it. Do not blame others for causing the problem. Blame yourself. And be more careful with your behavior in the future. Let us say that Mr. Wiggins does not learn and then injures or kills someone while drinking and driving. People will say that he was treated too leniently and should have been given a greater suspension so he felt the pain of his bad decisions. It seems to me that Coach balanced the suspension appropriately and Mr. Wiggins has responded well.

As an avid UCONN basketball fan, I try to keep in mind that it is a game. My pride in UCONN goes beyond winning championships, it is also the conduct of the team. Since the "incident" I have seen the players act differently, with more focus, enthusiasm, and teamwork. So I hope the players have benefitted from the experience. I know that I have enjoyed the games more and watched with greater pride.
Mike D

Fairport, NY

#7 Feb 11, 2008
How nice that Calhoun reduced his suspension because the media was doing their job. The taxpayers are paying for this fool to go to UCONN. They deserve to know the truth.
PPPP

Roseland, NJ

#8 Feb 11, 2008
Mike D wrote:
How nice that Calhoun reduced his suspension because the media was doing their job. The taxpayers are paying for this fool to go to UCONN. They deserve to know the truth.
No they are not.
DfreshofManhatta n

New York, NY

#9 Feb 11, 2008
Wiggins made some bad judgments. However, I think he has more than been punished by being pillored in these pages from people. I don't think anyone knew beforehand about the previous drug test failures (lets remember it was for pot, not heroin). I would say that since it is out in the open now and he has taken the criticism, let the kid play and see how he responds. If he is foolish enough to get caught smoking weed again or breaks any other rules, than by all means throw the book at him. Otherwise, keep all the childish "McDonalds" comments to yourself as it is clearly just jealously that is driving most of them.
Mike D wrote:
Mary H

Willimantic, CT

#10 Feb 11, 2008
Pete wrote:
Yes I do, Calhoun feels that all the negative comments and feelings from people like you (puritanical scolds) have abused the kid enough and he doesn't deserve have to suffer the opinions of authoritarian bigots! The people who have been so upset about Doug just like having other people suffer, they will never change, they are just pathetic!
If expecting people to follow rules, obey the law and appreciate opportunities given to them makes me an authoritarian, puritanical scold, then I plead guilty. However, because I base my opinions on peoples' words and actions, not race, ethnicity, etc., I believe I am not guilty of bigotry. Why don't you tell me why I am a bigot.

Wiggins is learning that actions and words have consequences. It is disappointing that Calhoun puts winning above character.

Are you capable of expressing an opinion without name-calling and insults? That behavior needs to change if you want your arguments to carry some weight.
Bob Johnson

AOL

#11 Feb 11, 2008
Good article. Mike Anthony is always good
East mother

Springfield, MA

#12 Feb 11, 2008
NEWSFLASH:::

"Four people were arrested over the last three days at UCONN"

Where did their parents go wrong?
illegal Drugs? Wonder if they are going to PASS their drug tests.

GO DOUG; GO UCONN. LOVE YOU!!!!
DAN

United States

#13 Feb 11, 2008
Pete wrote:
Calhoun stated, "He (Wiggins) had double penalty, in my opinion, because of the [media] exposure

If you do the crime you pay the consequences... poor little Dougie should know this from past experience.. he should learn from his encounters with the police in the past instead of monkey see...monkey do
Pete

Meriden, CT

#14 Feb 11, 2008
Haven't you folks heard of "forgive and forget"!
Phil Gamble Puffing

Wethersfield, CT

#15 Feb 11, 2008
Mike Anthony loses all crdibility writing this puff piece trying to soothe Daddy Jim

What a clown - he is fast becoming Desmond Conner without the wife beating
Huskies2324

Durham, NC

#16 Feb 12, 2008
I do not want to hear anymore about how the taxpayers are footing the bill for these kids education. These kids pay for themselves plus some. Between generating TV revenue for the university, keeping the alumni engaged, helping to recruit students, and enhancing the schools ability to get funding from the state legislature, these players are more than just kids on a free-ride athletic scholarship...they are a profit center for the school.

On top of that, lets maintain some perspective and remember that they are college kids and sometimes they make mistakes. Big deal. Help and support them so that mistakes are learned from instead of thrown in their face and made to be re-lived day after day.

Speaking of TV revenue...are we in CT going to be able to see the game vs ND tomorrow since its on ESPNU? Is any otehr station in CT picking up the game on TV?

Since: Mar 07

Enfield

#17 Feb 12, 2008
Doug..How about this... you wern't dissed....you wern't profiled....the cops wern't after you. You did something stupid and you got cought.

Quit trying to blame some one else...Own up to the fact that what happened was because of your actions.

You want respect from your teamates and the rest of the fane....Quit trying to shift the blame for your actions...acept responsibilty ... and go play some basketball!!!!
thetruth

Cambridge, MA

#18 Feb 13, 2008
You people who believe you are on the same level as scholarship athletes at big time programs are forgetting one extremely important thing: THEY GENERATE ENORMOUS REVENUE FOR THE SCHOOL THEY PLAY FOR AND YOU DON'T.
thetruth

Cambridge, MA

#19 Feb 13, 2008
So stop being envious over the fact that you haters are not significant.

Since: Mar 07

Enfield

#20 Feb 14, 2008
Seems to me that"theTruth" should look in the mirror to see who the real "haters" are.

Is that the system now, we bring in athletes based on how much revenue they can generate! What are we Notre dame?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blue Raiders to face run-heavy Navy in Armed Fo... (Dec '13) Dec '13 frmrder12 1
Mason could keep foot on gas in 2014 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Michael Evans 1
UVA Win Streak Ends With 66-60 Loss At Georgia ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Walose 1
Virginia Women's Basketball Loses Heartbreaker ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 heart break 1
TCU Impressed With UVA and Coach London - NBC29... (Sep '12) Sep '12 fish100 15
Jackets Land Ohio Running Back Donovan Wilson (May '12) May '12 T yler Palmer 1
Cavaliers Swat Yellow Jackets 70-38 - NBC29 WVI... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Sweet 1
More from around the web