Thabeet's Body Language Speaks Volumes After UConn's Loss

Hasheem Thabeet sat there in the chair afterward, slumped, looking closer to 5 feet 3 than 7-3. Moments earlier, Jim Calhoun had said he detested the body language of his team during the last eight minutes of a ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Psycho T

Rocky Hill, CT

#1 Dec 30, 2008
"I played Luke Harangody and he was not tough. Tyler Hansbrough? I don't see nothing."

hahahaha is all i can say to that

“DEMS AND THE MEDIA ARE ENEMIES”

Since: Oct 08

sw fla

#2 Dec 30, 2008
Uconn is in for a rough ride with that overgrowm pansy for a center.

Since: Mar 08

Wallingford, CT

#3 Dec 30, 2008
Let's not bury UConn after just one loss. However, the signs were there after the recent lack-luster play with the likes of Buffalo and Fairfield. They should have buried those teams but did not have the fire or intensity to show their fans, nor the country that they were worthy of a 2nd place ranking. Monday night came full circle with the confused play against the zone and catatonic regression that boggles the mind considering their "talent".
Husky Fan

United States

#4 Dec 30, 2008
Don't know if anyone caught this last night but seconds before the end of the game Calhoun and Thabeet were jawing back and forth at eachother. Calhoun did a double-take 2 or 3 times because every time he turned around to walk away Thabeet had more to say. Calhoun had that look that could kill. Anyone know what was said between those two? The exchange was far from pleasant and I haven't seen anyone talk back to Calhoun like that in a long time.
oh well

Costa Mesa, CA

#5 Dec 30, 2008
bet ya there will not be so many NBA scouts around the next time UCONN plays a real team.

Too bad UCONN players played for the scouts and not as a team.
Husky Fan

United States

#6 Dec 30, 2008
One other thing, Hasheem sure talks alot of smack for someone who has only been playing basketball for a few years. Instead of debasing the likes of Harangody and Hansbrough why not try to learn something from them, like intensity and leadership for starters (mouthing off to your coach in front of 16 thousand fans and sulking like a baby isn't leadership). If he learned one thing from the freshman Greg Monroe last night it should be the skills and instincts that come with years of playing competitive basketball and the realization that he has a long way to go and that a few blocked shots doesn't make you a "basketball player". Also, if he wants the ball more learn to get your hands up ready to catch in the post and stop trying to dribble once you get it. The guy is tall enough to drop step from the free throw line if he wanted to but he insist on bringing the ball down 2 feet from the basket. How can you have a guy that is at least 5 inches taller than everyone on the floor and not receive one lob for a dunk? It defies reason.
Marc Vincent Russo

Burlington, VT

#7 Dec 30, 2008
What language does Thabeet speak anyway?
Marc Vincent Russo

Burlington, VT

#8 Dec 30, 2008
Calhoun couldn't understand what he was saying. I think that was the confusion.
Husky Fan wrote:
Don't know if anyone caught this last night but seconds before the end of the game Calhoun and Thabeet were jawing back and forth at eachother. Calhoun did a double-take 2 or 3 times because every time he turned around to walk away Thabeet had more to say. Calhoun had that look that could kill. Anyone know what was said between those two? The exchange was far from pleasant and I haven't seen anyone talk back to Calhoun like that in a long time.
Jerk Store Manager

Ellicott City, MD

#9 Dec 30, 2008
Monroe looked like the junior and Thabeet looked like the freshman.
highway

Newburgh, NY

#10 Dec 30, 2008
This loss should come as no surprise.
The teams body language showed they are not really interested in playing for a screaming idiot of a coach, it's old school.
as stated on a previous post these kids are only playing for the scouts but thats the fault of the coach who chose these kids in the first place. start finding players that want to play for the love of the game.
Chris

Westwood, MA

#11 Dec 30, 2008
Hasheem stunk... pure and simple. He should be embarrassed by the way he played. It certainly was a team loss, not to blame Hasheem. But if his poor play doesn't burn in his stomach then you have to questions his passion and desire to win.
highway

Newburgh, NY

#12 Dec 30, 2008
by the way coach you have players that really want to play they are just sitting on the bench.

Since: Mar 07

Enfield

#13 Dec 30, 2008
Thabeet doesn't have to worry, a few more games like last night and he will be able to be a big star in Europe.

Perhaps Thabeet was having an exchange with the coach asking if he could sit out the game, their big Guy looked awfullgood!

How can you not get up for a big game like Georgetown.

So much for the "Rebound, Run,Shoot" offense. Can anybody on this team handle the ball when rebounding. Georgetown was getting 3 and 4 chances on every miss!

It wasn't just a lazzy effort, it was a very poorly played game.
matt0624

New York, NY

#15 Dec 30, 2008
highway wrote:
This loss should come as no surprise.
The teams body language showed they are not really interested in playing for a screaming idiot of a coach, it's old school.
as stated on a previous post these kids are only playing for the scouts but thats the fault of the coach who chose these kids in the first place. start finding players that want to play for the love of the game.
stupid post. every coach screams, and with the exception of thabeet, there is no way you can say the rest of the team didnt play hard. lets try to keep the moronic posts off here ok?
SE Hitboy

Rockville, MD

#16 Dec 30, 2008
Thabeet needs to know and understand the beat is with the feet. LET's GO HOYAS!!!!
Scott

Salt Lake City, UT

#17 Dec 30, 2008
Typical. UConn can beat the lowly teams but can't handle the physical play of the Big East. A bunch of over-hyped whing babies. Why can't Calhoun see that bringing in thugs doesn't get wins...it gives you headaches. I predict UCopnn will finish 21-10 and be knocked out of NCAA in second round.
Uconn78

Hampshire, IL

#18 Dec 30, 2008
Georgetown came in with a game plan and followed it to a T. The counter punch should have been the same from Uconn. We should have played the zone and clogged the inside, instead he stayed with man to man which resulted in even more trips to the foul line. The team was lethargic so play a little zone and see if you get anything out of it. there were way too many three's left wide open and that should not happen from a team that supposedly has good defense. I'm not sure they know what good defense is! They should know teams will not bow down when they come in here, they will try and steal your lunch and they did a good job of it. hopefully the scouts saw the good things that Georgetown did, they deserved the scouts adulation not UCONN. Uconn needs to access who really wants to play by how well they play defense. Defense was terrible and that has to be improved allowing a six foot guard to come in untouched near the end of the game is inexcusable. In the old days he would be given a hard foul and told I dare you to try that again and see what you get. even in pick up games guys coming to the basket are slapped back this should be instinct now. Maybe they all need shots of testosterone that might fix the problem. the days of wine and roses are gone now let's see who you really are Huskies!
Chuck Veranis

Crawfordville, FL

#19 Dec 30, 2008
Why didn't Uconn spread their offense and mix it up with 3 point shooting?They should start watching the Uconn women play and learn something! By the way, I picked GT to be Uconns 1st loss!
SBB

Beverly, MA

#20 Dec 30, 2008
To say the play by the U Conn team was uninspired isn't quite strong enough. My problem with U Conn's schedule pre Big East is that I think it gives the team a false impressio of how good they are. It looked last night as if they thought just being there would be enough. My diagnosis, they have over indulged in cupcakes!!
the bear

Concord, CA

#21 Dec 30, 2008
Someone needs to let buffoon Calhoun know that the match-up zone played by the cupcakes is a little different than the one played by Georgetown. Better competition in the preseason may help the team but it may not help the coach build up career wins! Someone shopuld check how many cupcake wins he has in the last 10-15-20 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sleeping with the Enemy: The Golden Eagles of M... Jan '15 Peter 1
Former H.S. Coach Says Natalie Butler A Good Fi... (May '14) May '14 Martin Fallon 1
Hoyas close out rivalry with rout (Mar '13) Mar '13 Dombridges 1
Villanova all but punches ticket to NCAA tourna... (Mar '13) Mar '13 B money 1
College Hoops Team of the Week: Villanova Wildcats (Jan '13) Jan '13 Chucky Chuck Rock... 1
Georgetown women's basketball preview (Nov '12) Nov '12 HOYA FAN 2
New Orleans Has Had Some Great Final Fours (Mar '12) Mar '12 laserboxguy 1
More from around the web