Williams turns Maryland loss into a lesson

Full story: Baltimore Sun 37
And it probably isn't as bad as that team that lost in such embarrassing fashion just three days later. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sam

AOL

#22 Dec 3, 2008
this year it is becoming increasingly difficult to think of anti-gary as a jerk. Most of us know he is..but most of us now realize that there is a problem at our alma mater. To me its Yow, Fridge, Gary and Cottle...they all have to go..they are not getting it done and attention is being diverted from the greatest of Turtle U to the inexplicable incompetence of our "athletic" professors.
Sam

AOL

#23 Dec 3, 2008
if they were not employees of the State, the real world would have had them fired years ago
bnote

Baltimore, MD

#24 Dec 3, 2008
Sam wrote:
this year it is becoming increasingly difficult to think of anti-gary as a jerk. Most of us know he is..but most of us now realize that there is a problem at our alma mater. To me its Yow, Fridge, Gary and Cottle...they all have to go..they are not getting it done and attention is being diverted from the greatest of Turtle U to the inexplicable incompetence of our "athletic" professors.
While anyone can agree that these coaches are "not getting it done", that will never change the fact that:

ANTI-GARY IS A JERK!
Maestro

Baltimore, MD

#25 Dec 3, 2008
steveg wrote:
I know this thread will rapidly fill up with Gary-haters, but I still think he's a good teacher and a good coach. It should be obvious to everyone who observed the off-season that the prospects for this year fall somewhere between "challenge" and "disaster" for this team. The main lesson to be learned from last weekend is actually for Gary himself, namely: if there are any quick-footed 6½- 7 footers who can rebound and defend out there (also bright enough to go to college and have no criminal record) you better flippin' find'em and sign'em!
Gary is a great coach .. I've been on the bandwagon since Boston College .. where his teams were always COMPETITIVE !! Outside of NC and Duke - WHO is the next best team in the ACC over the last 20 years?? Look around people - a lot of ACC teams haven't been successful (Final 4) since the 70's (eg. Virginia, Clemson, NC State). And these teams have made numerous coaching changes - with little results.
Old Timer

Havertown, PA

#26 Dec 3, 2008
Love Gary-- still has the fire, and yes, like any sane man over 40, still hates to have snot-nosed 17 year old high school players tell him how to play the game. That's why he has assistants which leave him to close the deals. With the incoming classes it is clear the staff is developing solid relationships with the high school coaches and kids. As for this season, if rebounding for one still about heart and desire, then I would like to see some of both against Michigan. End of story.
Brad

Baltimore, MD

#27 Dec 3, 2008
Maestro wrote:
<quoted text>
Gary is a great coach .. I've been on the bandwagon since Boston College .. where his teams were always COMPETITIVE !! Outside of NC and Duke - WHO is the next best team in the ACC over the last 20 years?? Look around people - a lot of ACC teams haven't been successful (Final 4) since the 70's (eg. Virginia, Clemson, NC State). And these teams have made numerous coaching changes - with little results.
good post - at a minimum the "be careful what you wish for" crowd should be aware of that. But they'd rather kick the dog to make themselves feel better.(Or if you're like Anti Gary - who would rather sc___ the dog!)
So called HOFer

Bethpage, NY

#28 Dec 3, 2008
Fire Him!
Brad

Baltimore, MD

#29 Dec 3, 2008
So called HOFer wrote:
Fire Him!
Ain't gonna happen, dude - live with your misery or support the team and coach - your choice.
Anti Gary

Greenway, VA

#30 Dec 3, 2008
bnote wrote:
<quoted text>
While anyone can agree that these coaches are "not getting it done", that will never change the fact that:
ANTI-GARY IS A JERK!
Jerk. That's cool with me. Read your stupid comment. If you aren't getting the job done picking up the trash company that you work for, don't you think your boss would give a chance to get it right? How many more years does Gary get dumb ass?
Anti Gary

Greenway, VA

#31 Dec 3, 2008
So called HOFer wrote:
Fire Him!
Ditto!!
Brad

Baltimore, MD

#32 Dec 3, 2008
Anti Gary wrote:
<quoted text>Ditto!!
Ditto to Dumb..........

Hey my net worth is guaranteed five times yours - easy - so don't even try to play the status game with me. Regardless, it's about IQ man - and you are WAY short on that score.

Since: Feb 07

Baltimore

#33 Dec 3, 2008
pretty sad when you have like 30,000 students at a university and can't find one guy 6'10" or above...troll the IMs for somebody!
spj

Lancaster, PA

#34 Dec 3, 2008
I agree Gary is a great coach , but he cannot recruit period.

Since: Nov 08

Cockeysville, MD

#35 Dec 3, 2008
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Ain't gonna happen, dude - live with your misery or support the team and coach - your choice.
Don't be so sure he won't get fired. When he finishes dead last in the ACC this year and doesn't even get a NIT bid more and more people will start asking for him to be fired. Nobody gets a life time pass anymore when the results are contunually bad
Anti Gary

Haymarket, VA

#36 Dec 3, 2008
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto to Dumb..........
Hey my net worth is guaranteed five times yours - easy - so don't even try to play the status game with me. Regardless, it's about IQ man - and you are WAY short on that score.
Bet your net worth chump. I guarantee you'll lose that couple hundred that you have in your dresser drawer. GUARANTEED!!
Anti Gary

Haymarket, VA

#37 Dec 3, 2008
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto to Dumb..........
PS, stop changing your name sissy!!
shreds123

New Market, MD

#38 Dec 3, 2008
When Gary took over the program, it was essentially in shambles. He took Bobe Wade's player, while under NCAA sanctions, and made respectable showings. When the sanctions were finally lifted, he brought in some decent recruiting classes. He got lucky that an unheralded Joe Smith turned into something special. Six years or so later, back to back final 4's and a national championship. That was 2001. Go to the Rivals website and look at the recruiting classes since then. Canner Medley may have been the best player on those lists. Remember when we complained about all of the sweet 16 appearances? Now we are an NIT regular. At what point does a coach run his course? I would love nothing better than for G Williams to succeed, but if he is not getting it done....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown University NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former H.S. Coach Says Natalie Butler A Good Fi... (May '14) May '14 Martin Fallon 1
Hoyas close out rivalry with rout (Mar '13) Mar '13 Dombridges 1
Villanova all but punches ticket to NCAA tourna... (Mar '13) Mar '13 B money 1
College Hoops Team of the Week: Villanova Wildcats (Jan '13) Jan '13 Chucky Chuck Rock... 1
Georgetown women's basketball preview (Nov '12) Nov '12 HOYA FAN 2
New Orleans Has Had Some Great Final Fours (Mar '12) Mar '12 laserboxguy 1
Women's basketball to take on No. 5 seeded Geor... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Norman 1

Georgetown University NCAA People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE