Williams turns Maryland loss into a lesson

Full story: Baltimore Sun

And it probably isn't as bad as that team that lost in such embarrassing fashion just three days later.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
SOUTHERN MD JOE

Glen Burnie, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

i say,bring in Bob Knigh to teach some defense.Let Gary watch.DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe.

Since: Jun 08

Ellicott City, Maryland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

The situation is inexcusable.
steveg

Centreville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

I know this thread will rapidly fill up with Gary-haters, but I still think he's a good teacher and a good coach. It should be obvious to everyone who observed the off-season that the prospects for this year fall somewhere between "challenge" and "disaster" for this team. The main lesson to be learned from last weekend is actually for Gary himself, namely: if there are any quick-footed 6½- 7 footers who can rebound and defend out there (also bright enough to go to college and have no criminal record) you better flippin' find'em and sign'em!
Jamie

Bladensburg, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

As an alum, my patience with this situation has worn thin, particularly in light of the myriad shocking and unacceptable stories related to Gary's personal behavior. Time for Gary to step down (since I know his high dollar friends won't allow him to be fired) and allow OUR alma mater to change directions for the better. Sometimes change is a good thing and this is one of those times.
Sam

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

You bring barney, duplex and groins in and tell them to hard foul every play they can't make when they are fouled out...you put in five guards, spread the floor, and swing the ball fast and shoot from perimeter with slashes to the hoop...pin ball basketball....and then hope you can keep your loss margin less than 15 and get your 10 wins this season and play in the South Korean tourney at end of season
walt

Mahopac, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

forget about teaching defense. how about recruit better. stop playing golf all the time.
bnote

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

Gary deserves (and will be here) at least two more years. He has a very good recruiting class coming in next year, and 2010 also promises to be a good year with many scholarships open.

Everyone expected this to be a year of struggles, yet at the very first loss - everyone is crying and moaning about "making a change". Obviously nothing is going to happen in December, so sit back, watch, support the team - or don't watch if it pains you so. But it is what it is for this year, and I believe the next two as well.
shreds123

Walkersville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

We are not calling for Gary's firing because of this season. We are calling for his firing based on all seasons following the national championship and the opening of a new arena. I have yet to see next year's class rated as anything special. Is there anyone in the program today that looks bound for greatness? This team will not rebound a couple of years under the current leadership.
Fred

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

No inside presense and no one able to rebound. It is going to be another long year. Let us hope we make it to the NIT.
Anti Gary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

AngryDragon84 wrote:
The situation is inexcusable.
You're right!
Anti Gary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

Jamie wrote:
As an alum, my patience with this situation has worn thin, particularly in light of the myriad shocking and unacceptable stories related to Gary's personal behavior. Time for Gary to step down (since I know his high dollar friends won't allow him to be fired) and allow OUR alma mater to change directions for the better. Sometimes change is a good thing and this is one of those times.
You're right!!
Anti Gary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

Sam wrote:
You bring barney, duplex and groins in and tell them to hard foul every play they can't make when they are fouled out...you put in five guards, spread the floor, and swing the ball fast and shoot from perimeter with slashes to the hoop...pin ball basketball....and then hope you can keep your loss margin less than 15 and get your 10 wins this season and play in the South Korean tourney at end of season
You're right!!
Anti Gary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

shreds123 wrote:
We are not calling for Gary's firing because of this season. We are calling for his firing based on all seasons following the national championship and the opening of a new arena. I have yet to see next year's class rated as anything special. Is there anyone in the program today that looks bound for greatness? This team will not rebound a couple of years under the current leadership.
You're right!!
Anti Gary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

bnote wrote:
Gary deserves (and will be here) at least two more years. He has a very good recruiting class coming in next year, and 2010 also promises to be a good year with many scholarships open.
Everyone expected this to be a year of struggles, yet at the very first loss - everyone is crying and moaning about "making a change". Obviously nothing is going to happen in December, so sit back, watch, support the team - or don't watch if it pains you so. But it is what it is for this year, and I believe the next two as well.
And as always. You are wrong, dumb and stupid!!!!!!!!
ebe

Owings Mills, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

It all comes down to recruiting. Gary has lost all interest in going to kids' living rooms and doing the dirty work to get the blue chip players to Maryland. Gary got his NCAA championship, ACC tournament championship, and now his is just in cruise control. Maryland needs a young, energetic coach who will utlize the attraction of the ACC, the Comcast Center, and the Maryland history to get top 20 recuits in there. The reason why we beat Mich State by 20 is because Williams can get his teams to play hard and MSU was flat. The reason why we lost to Gonzaga and G'town by 20 plus points is because we have no talent to make up for bad nights. The saying that a good team is one that wins even if they don't play well. That's not Maryland. If they don't play 120% effort and play at their best, then they will get blown out because they are not talented. Gary please resign or start recruiting. Maryland fans deserve better..
Ping Lee

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

I expected the MD program to use the Championship to add another layer to the strong foundation that Gary had worked so hard to create. He had a new state of the art facility coming right behind that trophy so any reasonable person could have expected nothing but sunny days ahead. Recruits should have been begging to come to MD during that time.

So what has happened since?

We are consitently bringing in 3rd rate recruits. If modern college b-ball is anything, it is a recruiting contest with talent usually trumping coaching. Gary spends more time at Bentley's than he does selling MD. It just appears that once he won that elusive title, the REAL hunger was gone.

I am not a Gary hater. Just calling it as I see it.
spj

Leola, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

Start hayes,bowie,vasquez,kim and burney. Off the bench- neal,gregory,tucker,mosely. Dupree should transfer to Loyola!
GMA

Catonsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

MD will win a spoiler or two against a ranked team, but more telling will lose to many teams that they should beat.
That is definition MD since 2004.
bnote

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

Anti Gary wrote:
<quoted text>And as always. You are wrong, dumb and stupid!!!!!!!!
Pot / Kettle / Black

Loser!!!!!!!!!

Since: Nov 08

Cockeysville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

I am finally starting to see these postings leaning towards firing gary. It sure took everybody long enough to realize that you can't keep living in the past. Am i grateful for all his accomplishments that this team has acheived under him, you bet your bottom dollar i am.But every program and every coach grows stale after staying somewhere for 20 years, and this program has certainly grown stale.He needs to go and the sonner teh better before he absolutely destroys all the good he has done. The same holds true for that other over rated and over paid footabll coach of ours. Other scholls with more legendary coaches with higher tradions then ours have fired there coaches and it's certainly time that Debbie yow does her job.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Georgetown University NCAA Discussions

Search the Georgetown University NCAA Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Former H.S. Coach Says Natalie Butler A Good Fi... May '14 Martin Fallon 1
Hoyas close out rivalry with rout (Mar '13) Mar '13 Dombridges 1
Villanova all but punches ticket to NCAA tourna... (Mar '13) Mar '13 B money 1
College Hoops Team of the Week: Villanova Wildcats (Jan '13) Jan '13 Chucky Chuck Rockmore 1
Georgetown women's basketball preview (Nov '12) Nov '12 HOYA FAN 2
New Orleans Has Had Some Great Final Fours (Mar '12) Mar '12 laserboxguy 1
Women's basketball to take on No. 5 seeded Geor... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Norman 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••