Tom Brady is Overrated

Tom Brady is Overrated

There are 10097 comments on the Dr. U story from Jan 14, 2006, titled Tom Brady is Overrated. In it, Dr. U reports that:

Tom Brady of the New England Patriots is the most overrated quarterback in the NFL.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dr. U.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#9989 Oct 8, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I've heard some of that same stuff about Miller. I think he wins NEXT year.
.
<quoted text>
That was a typical Manning game. He usually starts off very slowly while he's figuring out the defense, then he takes off like gangbusters. Too little, too late.
The Pats have great starters on defense, but no depth. They barely made it through the game and were totally gassed. But they did win.
Who's next?
WAY too little too late. The way that I see it, the Pats' D and their O did a heeluva good job of keeping the Broncs OFF the field. I don't think Manning's game had anything to do with it.

"Barely made it through the game?" The underdog in the game is SUPPOSE to try to make the big comeback in the 2nd half, right? Sacks on Brady, and trying to go for it on 4th and 5 were more of a pitfall on their part than anything. IMO.

Pats go to Seattle for a 4:05 game next.

I

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#9990 Oct 8, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
Boy, when you watch the Patriots enough, you learn what an asshole Belichek is....Great Coach, but a loser human....See how he has treated Wes Welker, just because Welker wanted and deserved a longterm deal.....then Sunday, up 31-14, in the 4th quarter, he goes for fourth and 6, at midfield....rather then pin the Broncos deep....that was unclassy as hell...and you could see it by Bradys body language, as it failed.....Certainly not Belicheks greatest hour.....
I wasn't happy with the way Wes was getting treated either. I felt he had earned his money, so I'm kind of wondering what was really going on. lol Welker did say today that "it was great to stick (his performance) in Bill's face."

I thought Brady looked really tired (unusually so) by the end of the game, but maybe I was just reading too much into it.
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#9991 Oct 8, 2012
I think he was embarassed to be going for it, like that....that him and Peyton are friends, off field, and that just smacked of pileing on.....

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#9992 Oct 8, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
WAY too little too late. The way that I see it, the Pats' D and their O did a heeluva good job of keeping the Broncs OFF the field. I don't think Manning's game had anything to do with it.
Now you're starting to sound like a Manning hater.

His stats were very impressive (31/44 for 345yds, 3TD, 0 INT), and he did bring them back in the end, just not all the way. He can't do everything, and that last fumble by McGahee on NE's 11 with 3:42 left was not Manning's fault.

At the end of that last Denver drive when the Broncos fumbled, the Pats' defense was gasping for air. The Pats gave up 14 unanswered points (and almost 21) to end the game. If Manning had nothing to do with that then I'd like to know who that guy was behind center who engineered those drives.

.
"Barely made it through the game?" The underdog in the game is SUPPOSE to try to make the big comeback in the 2nd half, right? Sacks on Brady, and trying to go for it on 4th and 5 were more of a pitfall on their part than anything. IMO.
I don't know what being an underdog had to do with the Broncos coming back at the end, but that's the usual formula for Brady/Manning games. The Pats get a big lead, and Manning leads a furious comeback. This time it fell short. It doesn't really matter how the Manning lead teams get the ball, they still have to score once they get it. And they did. Just not enough.

And, btw, when I said "they barely made it through the game", I was referring to the Pats' first team defense, not the Pats as a whole.

.
Pats go to Seattle for a 4:05 game next.
Oh, great. We'll get to hear more complaining about the refs...

.
Go Blue wrote:
Boy, when you watch the Patriots enough, you learn what an asshole Belichek is....Great Coach, but a loser human....See how he has treated Wes Welker, just because Welker wanted and deserved a longterm deal.....then Sunday, up 31-14, in the 4th quarter, he goes for fourth and 6, at midfield....rather then pin the Broncos deep....that was unclassy as hell...and you could see it by Bradys body language, as it failed.....Certainly not Belicheks greatest hour.....
I'm not a big Belichick fan either, but I can understand him not wanting to give the ball back to Manning.

Belichick has been burned enough times by Manning, when it looked like the game was over. I think he just wanted to run as much time off the clock as possible (and maybe even score) before Manning took another crack at the Pats. If Brady makes the first down, the Pats can run, at least, another minute and a half off the clock.

Besides that, the vast majority of punts inside the 50 wind up in the end-zone. It would have netted all of 18 yards from where it was punted. And remember, Denver had just done the exact same thing the previous possession on NE's 47 yard line. Both teams chose not to punt. The only difference is Denver scored on a short field, the Pats didn't.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#9993 Oct 8, 2012
ya

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#9995 Oct 9, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're starting to sound like a Manning hater.
His stats were very impressive (31/44 for 345yds, 3TD, 0 INT), and he did bring them back in the end, just not all the way. He can't do everything, and that last fumble by McGahee on NE's 11 with 3:42 left was not Manning's fault.
At the end of that last Denver drive when the Broncos fumbled, the Pats' defense was gasping for air. The Pats gave up 14 unanswered points (and almost 21) to end the game. If Manning had nothing to do with that then I'd like to know who that guy was behind center who engineered those drives.
.
<quoted text>
I don't know what being an underdog had to do with the Broncos coming back at the end, but that's the usual formula for Brady/Manning games. The Pats get a big lead, and Manning leads a furious comeback. This time it fell short. It doesn't really matter how the Manning lead teams get the ball, they still have to score once they get it. And they did. Just not enough.
And, btw, when I said "they barely made it through the game", I was referring to the Pats' first team defense, not the Pats as a whole.
.
<quoted text>
Oh, great. We'll get to hear more complaining about the refs...
.
<quoted text>
I'm not a big Belichick fan either, but I can understand him not wanting to give the ball back to Manning.
Belichick has been burned enough times by Manning, when it looked like the game was over. I think he just wanted to run as much time off the clock as possible (and maybe even score) before Manning took another crack at the Pats. If Brady makes the first down, the Pats can run, at least, another minute and a half off the clock.
Besides that, the vast majority of punts inside the 50 wind up in the end-zone. It would have netted all of 18 yards from where it was punted. And remember, Denver had just done the exact same thing the previous possession on NE's 47 yard line. Both teams chose not to punt. The only difference is Denver scored on a short field, the Pats didn't.
No, I'm not a Manning hater. He was the opponent. I'm a Pats fan. Naturally you and I are going to look at it differently.

I thought Manning's stats were good also, but what good did they do the Broncos to secure a win? That's what I meant when I said "too little too late," not that his performance was not good, it just wasn't enough to beat the Pats Sunday. The Pats took command of that game in the first half, and it was too much of a deficit for the Broncos' comeback in the second half. The better team on this particular Sunday won. Sorry.

Running the clock down when you're ahead and in the final minutes is just smart clock management. It is done all the time. I don't see any reason for hating BB for that. Broncos would have needed 2 TDs to win that game, and that was just not happening.

So, are you more of a Bronco fan than a Colts fan, or both? Who does Denver have next?
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#9996 Oct 9, 2012
Who said anything about, HATE?

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#9997 Oct 9, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
Who said anything about, HATE?
TMD's very first sentence.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#9998 Oct 9, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not a Manning hater. He was the opponent. I'm a Pats fan. Naturally you and I are going to look at it differently.
I try to be as unbiased and objective as I can when analyzing a game. That's part of the reason I was so angry with the Buckeyes after the Nebraska game. Great offense, no defense. That's NOT Buckeye football. What happened to the Silver Bullets?

The same holds true with the Pats. Great offense and defense until about the 11 minute mark in the 4th. Then the wheels fell off.

.
I thought Manning's stats were good also, but what good did they do the Broncos to secure a win? That's what I meant when I said "too little too late," not that his performance was not good, it just wasn't enough to beat the Pats Sunday. The Pats took command of that game in the first half, and it was too much of a deficit for the Broncos' comeback in the second half. The better team on this particular Sunday won. Sorry.
I, too, believe the better team won. However, Manning played a very large role in the comeback, and had McGahee not fumbled the ball when he did, we would have been staring at OT.

.
Running the clock down when you're ahead and in the final minutes is just smart clock management. It is done all the time. I don't see any reason for hating BB for that. Broncos would have needed 2 TDs to win that game, and that was just not happening.
I agree. And, btw, I think the "hating" remark GB was referring to was the one you just made about BB.

.
So, are you more of a Bronco fan than a Colts fan, or both? Who does Denver have next?
I'm a Manning fan, but not a Bronco fan AT ALL. I'm just as much a Colts/Steelers fan now as I have ever been. I just believe in giving credit where credit is due. That's why I have defended Brady many times in the past, and why I just defended the 4th down decision that BB made.

I really have no idea who Denver plays next. I hope Manning does well, and wish them good luck, but I probably won't be watching the game, unless I just happen to come across it while flipping through the channels.
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#9999 Oct 9, 2012
I see the old Josh McDaniels video-taping of walkthroughs is going on again

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#10000 Oct 9, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
I try to be as unbiased and objective as I can when analyzing a game. That's part of the reason I was so angry with the Buckeyes after the Nebraska game. Great offense, no defense. That's NOT Buckeye football. What happened to the Silver Bullets?
The same holds true with the Pats. Great offense and defense until about the 11 minute mark in the 4th. Then the wheels fell off.
.
<quoted text>
I, too, believe the better team won. However, Manning played a very large role in the comeback, and had McGahee not fumbled the ball when he did, we would have been staring at OT.
.
<quoted text>
I agree. And, btw, I think the "hating" remark GB was referring to was the one you just made about BB.
.
<quoted text>
I'm a Manning fan, but not a Bronco fan AT ALL. I'm just as much a Colts/Steelers fan now as I have ever been. I just believe in giving credit where credit is due. That's why I have defended Brady many times in the past, and why I just defended the 4th down decision that BB made.
I really have no idea who Denver plays next. I hope Manning does well, and wish them good luck, but I probably won't be watching the game, unless I just happen to come across it while flipping through the channels.
Glad that you didn't take offense to my view. We've been bouncing ideas off each other for quite a while now. I'm thinking it goes back to 2006, but too lazy to go back and check it I guess lol.

Steelers and Philly ... Battle of Pa ... was a close score. Did you get to watch?

I know a lot of people don't like BB, and I do think it comes down to hate. He was really hated while here in Cleveland, but that's a whole other story. I admire what he has accomplished in New England, and I'm not afraid to acknowledge it.

Cavs played a Euro team last night and won. Tonight they play the Milwaukee Bucks down in Canton. I don't think the exhibition games are being shown, but maybe they can be streamed off the net. I have the NBA network, so I'll try that tonight. We're expecting good things with Kyrie, Waiters, Zeller and TT. Every time a trade is mentioned, so is Andy Varejao. I hope we keep him. I'd rather not try to play against him. lol

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#10001 Oct 9, 2012
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
I see the old Josh McDaniels video-taping of walkthroughs is going on again
Care to elaborate?
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#10002 Oct 9, 2012
See Clay Matthews calling out the NFL, because Texan's LB Brian Cushing was injured last night, on an illegal chop-block, by one of the Jet's offensive linemen? They showed the vider on PTI, but i could'nt make out the offender, maybe Mangum....Guess we will see if the NFL Suits, are as concerned about defensive players safety as much as they are Qb's.....

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#10003 Oct 9, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad that you didn't take offense to my view. We've been bouncing ideas off each other for quite a while now. I'm thinking it goes back to 2006, but too lazy to go back and check it I guess lol.
No worries. Sometimes my emotions get the best of me, but I do make a concerted effort not to get too worked up one way or the other over an opinion.

We've been sharing ideas with one another for quite some time now (I couldn't find anything prior to 2008), and I consider you a very good person whose opinion I value greatly. I believe I am a better person for having known you. Thanks for all your comments.

.
Steelers and Philly ... Battle of Pa ... was a close score. Did you get to watch?
Yes I did. The Steelers are going to worry the last nerve out of me until they get that OL straightened out, and the defensive starters back. Thank goodness for fumble-fingers Vick.

.
I know a lot of people don't like BB, and I do think it comes down to hate. He was really hated while here in Cleveland, but that's a whole other story. I admire what he has accomplished in New England, and I'm not afraid to acknowledge it.
Everyone has SOME redeeming qualities. BB's are just not of the "social interactions" kind. He knows football and, at times, he just becomes too myopic with regard to his professional methods and goals. Most either love him or hate him. There's very little middle ground with him, but I think he's trying to do something about that. He's a work in progress.

.
Cavs played a Euro team last night and won. Tonight they play the Milwaukee Bucks down in Canton. I don't think the exhibition games are being shown, but maybe they can be streamed off the net. I have the NBA network, so I'll try that tonight. We're expecting good things with Kyrie, Waiters, Zeller and TT. Every time a trade is mentioned, so is Andy Varejao. I hope we keep him. I'd rather not try to play against him. lol
Varejao is always mentioned when the NBA's top centers are discussed. At one point the Lakers were trying to trade for him. The Lakers were also trying to steal Hibbert away from the Pacers. I think both centers will do VERY well this season.
football

Russellville, KY

#10004 Oct 11, 2012
Go Patriots!

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#10005 Oct 11, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
No worries. Sometimes my emotions get the best of me, but I do make a concerted effort not to get too worked up one way or the other over an opinion.
We've been sharing ideas with one another for quite some time now (I couldn't find anything prior to 2008), and I consider you a very good person whose opinion I value greatly. I believe I am a better person for having known you. Thanks for all your comments.
.
<quoted text>
Yes I did. The Steelers are going to worry the last nerve out of me until they get that OL straightened out, and the defensive starters back. Thank goodness for fumble-fingers Vick.
.
<quoted text>
Everyone has SOME redeeming qualities. BB's are just not of the "social interactions" kind. He knows football and, at times, he just becomes too myopic with regard to his professional methods and goals. Most either love him or hate him. There's very little middle ground with him, but I think he's trying to do something about that. He's a work in progress.
.
<quoted text>
Varejao is always mentioned when the NBA's top centers are discussed. At one point the Lakers were trying to trade for him. The Lakers were also trying to steal Hibbert away from the Pacers. I think both centers will do VERY well this season.
2008? That sounds about right, because I think that I was in some b ball forums prior to that.

Yeah, I value your opinions as well, especially regarding tOSU! Speaking of which, they are playing at Indiana Saturday. Are you warming up to Urban Meyer a little bit yet? I'm kind of liking the guy at this point. I like going for it on 4th and 1. LOL

Not sure what is going on with Vick. Plus, why has his weight dropped to 180 pounds? Doesn't that sound a little low even for a QB?

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#10006 Oct 12, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
2008? That sounds about right, because I think that I was in some b ball forums prior to that.
Yeah, I value your opinions as well, especially regarding tOSU! Speaking of which, they are playing at Indiana Saturday. Are you warming up to Urban Meyer a little bit yet? I'm kind of liking the guy at this point. I like going for it on 4th and 1. LOL
I'm sorry, Sam. I just don't think I'm EVER gonna like the guy. By the end of this season, he will be taking total credit for the development of Miller, even though, I believe, Miller would have progressed just as well (if not better) under Coach Tressel.

It's obvious that when Miller's college days are over he will be in the same boat as Tebow. He's not learning how to play from a pro-set and his throwing motion is eerily similar to Tebow's. Coach Meyer is not developing him for the NFL. He's doing the same thing he did to Tebow. He's using Miller in a college spread offense that has NO place in the pros. At least when Coach Tressel was grooming Pryor, he tried to teach him how to throw and make reads from a pro-set. Nothing like that is happening now with Miller.

Miller may, or may not, get drafted. If he is, it will be for a position other than QB. I don't know how Miller feels about that, but I know I don't like it.

.
Not sure what is going on with Vick. Plus, why has his weight dropped to 180 pounds? Doesn't that sound a little low even for a QB?
That sounds VERY low for a RUNNING quarterback. Maybe, as Vick gets older, he feels faster carrying less weight. I think all that will do is get him beat up that much more.

This may all be a moot point. I can't see how Coach Reid can continue putting Vick out there with all the problems he's having. Not many QBs can commit 11 turnovers in 5 games and keep their jobs...

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#10007 Oct 12, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, Sam. I just don't think I'm EVER gonna like the guy. By the end of this season, he will be taking total credit for the development of Miller, even though, I believe, Miller would have progressed just as well (if not better) under Coach Tressel.
It's obvious that when Miller's college days are over he will be in the same boat as Tebow. He's not learning how to play from a pro-set and his throwing motion is eerily similar to Tebow's. Coach Meyer is not developing him for the NFL. He's doing the same thing he did to Tebow. He's using Miller in a college spread offense that has NO place in the pros. At least when Coach Tressel was grooming Pryor, he tried to teach him how to throw and make reads from a pro-set. Nothing like that is happening now with Miller.
Miller may, or may not, get drafted. If he is, it will be for a position other than QB. I don't know how Miller feels about that, but I know I don't like it.
I understand how you feel about Meyer, but we're only half way through the season that has some tough games remaining. As far as Pryor goes, he doesn't play very often. He's 3rd string behind Palmer and Leinart. The Raiders are possibly going to change his QB position to recoup their investment from that supplemental draft. So, knowing that Tressel was good at what he does, I'm not sure yet how it has helped Terelle.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#10008 Oct 13, 2012
Is Brady's success due to having a great supporting cast or is he actually that great? I will concede that Brady is a much better QB than Terry Bradshaw who would have been an NFL failure if not for that great supporting cast in Pittsburgh was.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#10009 Oct 13, 2012
Well, let's just take this year, for example. The Pats D isn't as good as it could be, and the O is still struggling to have a long ball threat. Not to mention the number of sacks on Brady that the O line has given up. You didn't mention that in his "great supporting cast," so I would have to answer this way ... if it WASN'T for Brady, the Pats wouldn't have as much success as they do. IMO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NCAA Football Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Announcers missing the boat big time. 4 hr Joe T 1
It's not that hard people, Michigan first in if... 10 hr Mensan 174 2
New Top Four For The NCAA Playoff Should Be... 11 hr Analyst 3
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 13 hr Brew In 32,590
The Big Pac-12 Decision Fri Choices 1
News Western Michigan heads to Illinois as a favorite Fri Go Blue Forever 57
Penn State Supporters For Playoff Need A Better... Dec 1 Anthony 3
More from around the web