Stan Van Gundy says he's honored to b...

Stan Van Gundy says he's honored to be Orlando Magic's coach

There are 22 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 7, 2007, titled Stan Van Gundy says he's honored to be Orlando Magic's coach. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Billy Donovan's about-face on coaching the Orlando Magic has had ramifications for many people beyond himself.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike

Palm Bay, FL

#1 Jun 7, 2007
I like Stan! Go Magic!
Sue

United States

#2 Jun 7, 2007
Out of all the NBA coaches out there, Stan was the best choice and I'm happy he's here. One observation - the press seemed more intent on playing attorney and cross-examining our new coach rather than welcoming him. However, Stan was gracious and seemed genuinely happy to be introduced. Stan, even though we're still a bit shell-shocked at the events of the last week, we are behind you - welcome to Orlando and go Magic!
Stan Fan

Colorado Springs, CO

#3 Jun 7, 2007
A quality coach and a quality man. The Magic got it right. He has proven he can win at all levels of basketball, and do it right. Loyal almost to a fault, Orlando couldn't find a better spokesman for the Magic and the community.
G-MO

Miami, FL

#4 Jun 7, 2007
Stan the man already grew on me....He's genuinely happy and honored to be coaching the Magic
Family Stan NOT

Lake Forest, CA

#5 Jun 7, 2007
I thought he quit in Miami to "spend time with thte family". I guess that sucked. Or was it that Pat Riley moved in on his job to snatch his ring? Oh well, at least he won't have to worry about championships (or job snatchers) in Orlando.
buttermilk

Merritt Island, FL

#6 Jun 8, 2007
It's great to have someone who genuinely wants to be here and has the respect of the players. Magic basketball will be fun again. I'm glad the Magic stepped up and got us the best coach available. It's great to have you aboard Stan.
Swoose

United States

#7 Jun 8, 2007
Stan, why would you want to coach a bunch of wanna-be loser like the Magic? Are things that bad in South Florida? Try getting a real life...
Johnny Gohome

AOL

#8 Jun 8, 2007
Having 'Little Boy Lost' Donovan back out and being able to pick up Stan VanGundy is probably the best thing that's happened to the Magic in a long time. Stan is the first credible coach the Magic have ever had (Chuck Daly wasn't there long enough to matter). For once we get a proven NBA coach with a winning record. Forget Hill's first stint with the Magic; any dummy could have won with that team. Overall record for sucess is VanGundy's strong suit. Welcome aboard Stan. We are very lucky to have you.
Mike

United States

#9 Jun 8, 2007
Swoose wrote:
Stan, why would you want to coach a bunch of wanna-be loser like the Magic? Are things that bad in South Florida? Try getting a real life...
Right back at you tuff guy! Let me give you some advice. Try watching a game or two, if in fact the TV still works in your trailer.
fan of the magic

Denver, CO

#10 Jun 8, 2007
Family Stan NOT wrote:
I thought he quit in Miami to "spend time with thte family". I guess that sucked. Or was it that Pat Riley moved in on his job to snatch his ring? Oh well, at least he won't have to worry about championships (or job snatchers) in Orlando.
SOUNDS LIKE A KING'S FAN.. SORRY
Leno

UK

#11 Jun 8, 2007
I love Otis phrase "we targeted two guys and actually we signed both of them" clever and hilarious. I think he is doing a great job as a GM, besides hiring Brian Hill he has made all the right movements: drafting dwight and stealing jameer, getting Darko, and getting rid of Francis, while getting more salary-cap and ripping Trevor out of NY! That was unbelievable. Then he made a miracle by signing Billy, and had nothing to do with his departure. finaly he grabebd SVG at the last minute, just out of the noses of Sacramento, well done Otis!
Harv

Port Orange, FL

#12 Jun 8, 2007
The magic now have a coach and not little spoiled kid. Good luck Coach Van Gundy and the magic players get ready to learn the meaning of an aggressive offense.
w-j-c

Orlando, FL

#13 Jun 8, 2007
watched the press conference, and i immediately liked him. love the "don't know many players who want to go freeze there butt off" in free agency quote. he seems much more 'real' with his answers than donovan did, who looked and sounded like an automatronic from the hall of presidents at epcot. sorry, didn't mean to bring up donavan...welcome svg!!!!!!!!! now let's go get gerald wallace.
Terry

Orlando, FL

#15 Jun 8, 2007
Second Best - not in your life! Many of us believe that SVG should have been the first choice from the beginning. How can you compare Donovan to SVG - you can't. We have a proven PROFESSIONAL Coach, who is loyal and has a proven track record in the NBA - We have the best coach for our Team. WELCOME Stan, I am sure the players and fans will be right behind you and look forward to a great season
MagicAtic

Orlando, FL

#16 Jun 8, 2007
Hoopsworld.com is stating that VC WILL sign with the Magic. Magic are saying that they will keep Darko too so either VC is taking a pay cut (which I doubt) or there is going to be a sign and trade with NJ not involving Darko (which would be really hard).
carlos

Melbourne, FL

#17 Jun 8, 2007
We're lucky to have him..GO MAGIC!
Dan

Dover, FL

#18 Jun 8, 2007
MagicAtic wrote:
Hoopsworld.com is stating that VC WILL sign with the Magic. Magic are saying that they will keep Darko too so either VC is taking a pay cut (which I doubt) or there is going to be a sign and trade with NJ not involving Darko (which would be really hard).
Or we make some trades with teams under the salary cap and sign Carter outright.
Biggest fan-indaattic

Lakeland, FL

#19 Jun 8, 2007
Leno wrote:
I love Otis phrase "we targeted two guys and actually we signed both of them" clever and hilarious. I think he is doing a great job as a GM, besides hiring Brian Hill he has made all the right movements: drafting dwight and stealing jameer, getting Darko, and getting rid of Francis, while getting more salary-cap and ripping Trevor out of NY! That was unbelievable. Then he made a miracle by signing Billy, and had nothing to do with his departure. finaly he grabebd SVG at the last minute, just out of the noses of Sacramento, well done Otis!
Well said! Otis is by far "the best" GM, Orlando has ever had. Oh! and i forgave him for Brian Hill, i'm not perfect either.
willie

West Palm Beach, FL

#20 Jun 8, 2007
we got are coach now go get vince and gerald
magic

Orlando, FL

#21 Jun 9, 2007
good now the magic have a coach!!!

Hopefully he won't chicken out like Donovan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Gators Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get your Gator Jamberry Nail Wraps (Oct '14) Oct '14 jambycatherine 1
Classless Fans (Jan '14) Jan '14 Los Angeles Fan o... 1
News Tim Tebow tells Gators he's not recruiting for ... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Suburban Meyer 2
News David Jones: Driskel has Gators fans thinking '... (Sep '12) Oct '12 Florida Swamper 2
News Gator Lee Humphrey is awaiting his shot (May '07) Dec '10 BUCKEYE AND NOLE 16
News Magic notes: Before rematch, ex-Gator Horford t... (Jan '09) Jan '09 willie 1
News Kindred kidney bonds Gator women's basketball team (Oct '08) Oct '08 Jennifer Harris 1
More from around the web