Orlando Magic statement on Billy Donovan

Orlando Magic statement on Billy Donovan

There are 11 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 6, 2007, titled Orlando Magic statement on Billy Donovan. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Billy Donovan's about-face on coaching the Orlando Magic has had ramifications for many people beyond himself.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Dan B

Davenport, FL

#1 Jun 6, 2007
SOLUTION...SOLUTION...SOLUTION
Right under our noses.
If you watched OTIS SMITH'S interview when he fired Brian Hill ,he said it's all about
WINNING And CHAMPIONSHIPS (so easy a caveman can do it)How about OTIS SMITH take the coaching job,if the
Magic don't win next season,_FIRE HIM.So far he's champion of the cluster f###k.
Willie P

Palm Bay, FL

#2 Jun 7, 2007
When Donovan didn't take the Kentucky job I knew the guy was messed up. Its really sad that in a young vibrant and growing city like Orlando we can't buy, cheat, or steal a winning team.
UnionMan

Mount Pleasant, SC

#3 Jun 7, 2007
Hey Devos, feel free to let loser Otis Smith out of his contract too.
Old Gator

Ephrata, PA

#4 Jun 7, 2007
These are the facts as I see them. I believe a lot of people are trying to read things into this debacle that aren't there.

Billy D was intrigued with the NBA and the Magic in particular, but his true love is the college environment and money was only a minor factor (of coarse $3 million helps to make this a minor issue). I think His wife was an influence too, and it appeared she wasn't so intrigued. He has so much going on in Gainesville with family, church, respect, etc.

I really don't see it as a character issue, people do change their minds. I suspect the Magic brass pressured him for a quick decision and announcement, but Billy D could have said lets slow this thing down abit.

Again on the character issue, he had a change of heart and asked to be released from his contract. If the Magic had said no, I believe Billy D would have fulfilled his obligation, but we will never no for sure. It took a lot of guts to change his decision and accept the embarrassment.

I am not a basketball fan, but Billy D has made me take notice, and if I remotely represent the average fan in this football state, he has done a lot for the game in Florida.

Professional sports in general don't excite me very much and the NBA in particular (forget the NHL, I am a native Floridan). I respect the talent level in pro sports, but money is such an issue. I admire the talent of good recruiters over the money management of salary caps.

Lets put this thing to rest and pull for our respective teams. Who knows, maybe I will take notice of the Magic after Billy D helps me appreciate the sport more. I do wish them well and hope the new coach will make them competitive with the top teams in the NBA.
6wampy

Olathe, KS

#5 Jun 7, 2007
Its going to be an interesting ROad schedule for Mr "Quick-Change" this year. He's undoubtedly aware of what fans will throw at him, but maybe it'll be good to have the brunt on him, and not on his young team fighting for an identity....? Either way, its obviously great to have him in the mix regardless of the "how it happened" part.
In my opinion, the NBA is a great waste of time, and clearly the worst Sport on the planet-though 98% of that is due to the participants. In my opinion, matching Billy's "team" approach to an NBA team would be kinda be like Rosie O'Donnell teaching sex Ed. Who'd listen to either one?
Billy was interested in bettering his position,....wanted to put better bread on his better table. Why blame a guy for that?
Jay

Sarasota, FL

#6 Jun 7, 2007
Here we are showing how soft Magic are! This is the reason we are were we are! But oh well. Good luck Billy!!! Thanks for our waste of time with you! I hope you lose every game from now on and go stright to the hall of shame!
6wampy

Olathe, KS

#7 Jun 7, 2007
Jay wrote:
Here we are showing how soft Magic are! This is the reason we are were we are! But oh well. Good luck Billy!!! Thanks for our waste of time with you! I hope you lose every game from now on and go stright to the hall of shame!
That's not a healthy attitude, there Jay. The Magic are actually better off w/Van(deCamp)Gundy....Donovan didn't waste anyone's time....and pitting years of neglect and poor management woes on Mr Donovan is also unfair.
This organization didn't get to where they are because of events of this past week.

Dry out your cheerios and enjoy the coach you have!
Confused Inqusition

Merritt Island, FL

#8 Jun 7, 2007
6wanpy seems to have an infatuation with Rosie Odonnell.
6wampy

Olathe, KS

#9 Jun 7, 2007
Confused Inqusition wrote:
6wanpy seems to have an infatuation with Rosie Odonnell.
yeah, she's MAGICally delicious!

Really, YOU find one person on this planet, that most people would know, who MORE of a disgusting blight on human-kind!.....I'm waiting!
Thank you!,...point made!
Rosie Odonnell

Merritt Island, FL

#10 Jun 7, 2007
Purrr Rosanne Barr and I will be over to your place tonight to make all your dreams come true.....
6wampy wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, she's MAGICally delicious!
Really, YOU find one person on this planet, that most people would know, who MORE of a disgusting blight on human-kind!.....I'm waiting!
Thank you!,...point made!
6wampy

Olathe, KS

#11 Jun 7, 2007
Rosie Odonnell wrote:
Purrr Rosanne Barr and I will be over to your place tonight to make all your dreams come true.....
<quoted text>
Rasanne is SOO close, but still 2nd.....why?....'cause I think she'd actually accept a male,..uh,...a male,...-TOM ARNOLD!(OK, he's close to a male, uh,...)
Rosie edges Rosanne out by a fraction of a percent!.
If I feel the ground shaking at my house, I'll push the 'fridge out the front door and load the shotgun!.....Hunting in a baited field is OK at my house!

NOW!...who could eat a cow to the bone faster?....That's a toss up there!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Gators Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Florida booster clears Antonio Callaway of sexu... Aug '16 vulcanalex 1
Get your Gator Jamberry Nail Wraps (Oct '14) Oct '14 jambycatherine 1
Classless Fans (Jan '14) Jan '14 Los Angeles Fan o... 1
News Tim Tebow tells Gators he's not recruiting for ... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Suburban Meyer 2
News David Jones: Driskel has Gators fans thinking '... (Sep '12) Oct '12 Florida Swamper 2
News Gator Lee Humphrey is awaiting his shot (May '07) Dec '10 BUCKEYE AND NOLE 16
News Magic notes: Before rematch, ex-Gator Horford t... (Jan '09) Jan '09 willie 1
More from around the web