Hell no, don't let them go!

Hell no, don't let them go!

There are 4 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 8, 2008, titled Hell no, don't let them go!. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

I t is springtime, but already the thrills of March Madness have fallen into a painful abyss.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Hugh

Germantown, TN

#1 May 8, 2008
Florida lost four non-senior starters to the NBA, not three. Taurean Green was drafted in the second round and is still on an NBA roster.
Justin_WV

Youngstown, OH

#2 May 8, 2008
I dont understand why people are bashing kids like OJ for leaving College early if it wasn't for a rediculous and unfair rule he would have never been there....Be glad he choose your school for the one year he did play college cause he easily could have took the hundreds of thousands of dollars he made your Mediocre team!!!!!!!!
Mason Law Grad 03

Norfolk, VA

#3 May 8, 2008
Clever and I would expect nothing less from this duo, however the proposition does not address the true cost/benefit analysis going on in the mind's of these young men:

Cost of staying in college:
1. risk of injury (granted),
2. 1 more year that my more often than not financially unstable family has to wait for money
3. a career that has an AVERAGE span of 5 years (4 years of college and 1 year of grad school) leads to the "get that money" mindset. In addition, the better you are the more money you make. So the smart move is to start at 18 w/ young ankles and knees and extend your career past its normal life span. By the time you are 25 you are a seasoned vet w/ a still young body and possibly an All Star (and did I mention making more money)
4. Higher education really is not that important at this period in their lives

Benefit:
1. Being the big man on campus?? No that's no good in the NBA you are the big man on campus wherever you go.

I have a college degree and a law degree. I also played high school basketball and gave up college basketball when I realized I was not going to make the NBA (never really thought I would), just eventually realized my meal ticket was the books. However, if I was good enough to go straight out of high school I would have.

School is always there. Your knees and ankles are not. Ask people like Shaq and Vince Carter who went back and got their degrees after earning millions in the NBA.

Finally, yes college basketball is much more exciting than the NBA. That's why they should get rid of this ridiculous Lebron rule and let the kids that want to play college basketball do it. The colleges won't know what we are missing when the Lebrons, Kevin Durants, Greg Odens, and Kevin Loves never enter our radar.
Aaron

Cicero, IL

#4 May 10, 2008
First, let's note that the players are NOT playing for nothing. They are getting FREE an education worth $200,000 over four years at today's tuition rates in private schools, about half that in public. FREE, at the same time when real students and their parents are going into massive debt to pay for theirs. The real fact is that college basketball has lost its way. Just the same as the drama department, the music department, the journalism school, athletics is only a PART of the real education to prepare these people for a lifetime that includes a whole lot more than dribbling a basketball. The fact that like the students in those other departments athletes perform in public should not negate the real purpose of the institution. How about this: Treat athletes like other students! And let them take care of their own futures, just like all of those other students.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Gators Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get your Gator Jamberry Nail Wraps (Oct '14) Oct '14 jambycatherine 1
Classless Fans (Jan '14) Jan '14 Los Angeles Fan o... 1
News Tim Tebow tells Gators he's not recruiting for ... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Suburban Meyer 2
News David Jones: Driskel has Gators fans thinking '... (Sep '12) Oct '12 Florida Swamper 2
News Gator Lee Humphrey is awaiting his shot (May '07) Dec '10 BUCKEYE AND NOLE 16
News Magic notes: Before rematch, ex-Gator Horford t... (Jan '09) Jan '09 willie 1
News Kindred kidney bonds Gator women's basketball team (Oct '08) Oct '08 Jennifer Harris 1
More from around the web