Orlando Magic to announce contract se...

Orlando Magic to announce contract settlement with Billy Donovan

There are 263 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 6, 2007, titled Orlando Magic to announce contract settlement with Billy Donovan. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Billy Donovan's about-face on coaching the Orlando Magic has had ramifications for many people beyond himself.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Jim Brown

Winter Park, FL

#1 Jun 6, 2007
Donovan needs to be penealized in some way for being so imature and causing so much disruption.

“Dare to be stupid!”

Since: Dec 06

Groveland, Florida

#2 Jun 6, 2007
Magic Stink
Kathy

Okeechobee, FL

#3 Jun 6, 2007
One word for the Magic: Karma!
Good Guy

Coppell, TX

#4 Jun 6, 2007
Everyone makes mistakes. Even I made one once.:) :) :) Billy's was thinking it was a good idea to join up with the magic.
Rob

Winter Garden, FL

#5 Jun 6, 2007
No the Magic management needs to be penalized! Why not send them back to Amway?
No Fault

Boynton Beach, FL

#7 Jun 6, 2007
Karma???? Karma for what??? Going after a coach who let it be known publicly that he was "intrigued" by moving on to the NBA? Karma for trying to do the best that they could for the team, fans, and community? Karma for getting sucker-punched by an immature college coach who should have thought his decision through like an adult, before disrupting the lives of UF players, UF fans, Magic fans, and Magic players. Guess we now know why he's called Billy the Kid. He should be slapped.

Had this worked out and Donovan actually become the Magic coach, the Magic Management would continue to be lauded for bringing Donovan to Orlando.
randy

Orlando, FL

#8 Jun 6, 2007
i believe Donovan should be banned from the NBA AS AN ATIVE OF WEST VIRGINIA AND NOW A RESDIENT OF FLORIDA HE SHOULD ALSO BE BANNED FROM COACHIGN PERIOD IN MY OPINION
Jose

United States

#9 Jun 6, 2007
garym1a2 wrote:
Magic Stink
This state is loaded with fair weather fans that only want to complain about the Magic rather then support them , okay so they’ve made some boneheaded moves the last few years but come on show some love for the local team and shut up with the “Magic stink” comments… People like you are the exact reason why WWE events get better attendance the NBA games zero fan base…..
Jose

United States

#10 Jun 6, 2007
Good Guy wrote:
Everyone makes mistakes. Even I made one once.:):):) Billy's was thinking it was a good idea to join up with the magic.
Yes we all make mistakes but when was the last time you made a million dollar one and had a thousand UF fans still calling you a genius regardless of how unprofessional our mistake was...I just wish UF fans would call a spade a spade...it was unprofessional.
Sue

Palm Bay, FL

#11 Jun 6, 2007
I'm really tired of negative naysayers who in their twisted little minds blame the Magic for what happened with Donovan. For gosh sakes, it's Donovan who shoulders the blame and should be ashamed for turning into a crybaby who wouldn't honor his commitment.
To be honest, I think Van Gundy is a good fit for this team - admittedly he doesn't have the rock star power Donovan does, but he knows the NBA game, has a good coaching philosophy, and the players in Miami loved playing for him until Pat Riley and his ego butted in. This is Stan's chance to prove what he's capable of, and hopefully Orlando will welcome him with open arms.
Trashman

Orlando, FL

#12 Jun 6, 2007
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Good Guy

Coppell, TX

#13 Jun 6, 2007
Another good reason for Billy's change of heart reason is having to deal with the Sentinel, whose staff include very unprofessional members, especially knocking on Billy's door after midnight, and calling constantly for info, and reporting that their calls were not returned. Who do they think they are? The news will be the news when it is the news. Even in this article the story referred to "sources",which were unnamed,which is shameful!! Very unprofessional.
Rob D

Gainesville, FL

#14 Jun 6, 2007
randy wrote:
i believe Donovan should be banned from the NBA AS AN ATIVE OF WEST VIRGINIA AND NOW A RESDIENT OF FLORIDA HE SHOULD ALSO BE BANNED FROM COACHIGN PERIOD IN MY OPINION
You didn't have to tell us you are from W. Virginia. Your command of the English language gave it away.
Lewis

Gainesville, FL

#15 Jun 6, 2007
All of the UF Alumni I know are ecstatic at having our coach back. As for the Magic, we are sorry for your loss, but do you really want to make all of us angry. If so, I can tell you what at least one Gator will start cheering – Go Heat! So, please let the good man go peacefully!
ladygator32622

Gainesville, FL

#17 Jun 6, 2007
If everyone is so ready to get rid of Billy, why don't you email the "Powers that Be" for the Magic and ask them to let him go already. The Magic only wanted him to help them get a new arena and then probably would have fired him after they got it since they go through coaches like most of us go through sandwich meat. LET HIM GO AND GET A COACH. WE ARE WAITING FOR HIM HERE IN GAINESVILLE SO WE CAN ROLL OUT THE ORANGE AND BLUE CARPET !!!!!!!!!!
jneme

Longwood, FL

#18 Jun 6, 2007
Good rittens! Take your Gator fans with you. Billy you have shown your true self as a scared little man. You could have proven yourself better than Patino, Calapari and all the other CC who made the jump to NBA. There will be no better opportunity than the current Magic situation and future Hall Famer Howard along with $15M to spend. DUMB AZZ.
Fred

West Monroe, LA

#20 Jun 6, 2007
Lewis,
Cheer for the Heat...who cares.
Go Magic!!!
Steve

Washington, DC

#21 Jun 6, 2007
Unless you were one of the 200 people that bought season tickets to the Magic after the announcement that Billy was hired you have nothing to complain about. He was the head coach of the Magic for 24 hours before he contacted them and asked out. It’s an insignificant era in Magic basketball.

I swear people are negative just to be negative. We live in a society that only cares about man bites dog stories. It’s really easy to call Billy a scumbag, coward, quitter, etc. His actions had zero effect on your lives and the future of the Magic. Get over it and embrace the new coach and franchise and move on. And for the Gators, I am looking forward to following them over the next few years and seeing if Donovan can do it all over again with new players. And yes, I will be cheering for the Magic and the Gators (and I am not a Florida graduate).
Anti-Snowbird

Tallahassee, FL

#22 Jun 6, 2007
Reading the negative press and posts from you so called Floridians why would anyone want to coach or for that fact live in Orlando. 99 percent of you are a bunch of nasty, non-driving, arrogant, abusive, ignorant, etc. snowbirds that really need to get a life. Preferably back up north with your own kind. Leave paradise to the real Floridians.
ladygator32622

Gainesville, FL

#23 Jun 6, 2007
Go Away wrote:
Good rittens! Take your Gator fans with you. Billy you have shown your true self as a scared little man. You could have proven yourself better than Patino, Calapari and all the other CC who made the jump to NBA. There will be no better opportunity than the current Magic situation and future Hall Famer Howard along with $15M to spend. DUMB AZZ.
I believe that BD made a decision that looked good at first and he is a bigger man than most by admitting that he made a mistake. Would you want a coach that didn't want to be there? I certainly wouldn't. As far as taking our GATOR FANS with us. They are EVERYWHERE in this country so you will never get away from us!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Gators Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Florida booster clears Antonio Callaway of sexu... (Aug '16) Aug '16 vulcanalex 1
Get your Gator Jamberry Nail Wraps (Oct '14) Oct '14 jambycatherine 1
Classless Fans (Jan '14) Jan '14 Los Angeles Fan o... 1
News Tim Tebow tells Gators he's not recruiting for ... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Suburban Meyer 2
News David Jones: Driskel has Gators fans thinking '... (Sep '12) Oct '12 Florida Swamper 2
News Gator Lee Humphrey is awaiting his shot (May '07) Dec '10 BUCKEYE AND NOLE 16
News Magic notes: Before rematch, ex-Gator Horford t... (Jan '09) Jan '09 willie 1
More from around the web