Haughty UK can't obscure UF's spotlight

Haughty UK can't obscure UF's spotlight

There are 154 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 31, 2007, titled Haughty UK can't obscure UF's spotlight. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Kentucky-Schmentucky. Contrary to what you've been reading and hearing ad nauseam during the past few days, this Final Four isn't about Kentucky basketball; it's about Florida basketball.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
DestinyYachtClub

Plant City, FL

#1 Mar 31, 2007
Bianchi - great story - and I think you have it right. There was a piece on another reputable website which layed down the facts about Billy Donovan - basically, this Kentucky thing is a no WIN situation for him no matter what he does or says - other than keeping his mouth shut. It's unfortunate that it has become such a tremendous distraction - and if the Gators fall tonight - we'll all blame it on the Kentuckians.. They should have waited for the end of the tourney before running Tubby Smith out of town on rails.

All you hear about from the KY jelly fans is HOW GREAT WE ARE!, How storied a program we have, steeped in history, how much winning we have, the titles, how big Rupp Arena is, how many 23,000 blue mist enhaling fans we have showing up at midnight for a freshman shootaround, how much more money we can pay Billy the savior, how UK is just the top program in the world and none compares..

What a joke. If I were Donovan I'd go to the U.K. before I went to UK judging from the fans they have.

This whole thing casts a shadow over what should be focus on the game and maybe making history in repeating as champs.

Like I said before, we're from Indiana, which is also a basketball state, my MOM and Grandparents are from Kentucky, heck Grandpa lived all his life at Lake Cumberland (grab your Kingsford Charcoal for todays game) ; ).. but you can read on all these boards the mentality of the kentucky fans.. I mean Gator fans and most fans in general are passionite? about their schools.. But bashing Florida, the Florida fanbase, the players, the program, the fieldhouse, the attendance and making comparisions of Florida's program to a program that apparently has seen it's better days just doesnt cut it.

I hope to see Billy Donovan stay at UF,, if he does not, then Florida needs to get the absolute best recruiting coach they can get to stay competitive and not see a drop off from what Billy has built. Coaches move around - its a fact of life... but it's not the end of it.

Florida has a great program, and the athletics program is just FLUSH with cash, recruits lining up, a new practice facility, plans for a new Donovan Dome, defending Football and Basketball Championships, rabid fan base , you name it.

I think these Kentucky fans, at least right now, have p~nis envy. Guess it could change if Florida loses Donovan, but the Gators would be Ok..

By the way. really looking forward to tonights game, hoping Florida really brings their "A" game and shuts down UCLA.. It would just be fantastic. The Gator team has done a superb job returning to the final FOUR and deserve all the best. Gators are a truly talented team that is very tough to beat. The sweetest thing would be a win tonight, then a win on Monday over Ohio State... it would be sweet.
catfan

Lexington, KY

#3 Mar 31, 2007
Bianchi Schbianchi. If the final four is about Florida basketball and not Kentcky, then people in the media, including yourself, need to quit speculating, quit analyzing, and quit focusing on KENTUCKY basketball. But remember, Rick Pitino advised Billy D. to take the Florida job. Pitino knew he was ready to be a head coach at a major university. Maybe he is now ready to come home, to what Pitino calls Camelot. We can wait until after the Final Four, without speculation. Also let me thank you for the comment about Kentucky being a football school, but let me remind you also about our wonderful baseball program. Remember where we got our coach?
Liza

Port Orange, FL

#4 Mar 31, 2007
Mr. Bianci,
This article has a hint of bitter in it! Sorry to burst your bubble, but you and I both know Donovan is on his way to UK! Oh, and the reason the press is about UK and not UF in the final four is exactly the reason Donovan will go! Basketball will always be the shadow at UF and you and I both know that Donovan wants the spotlight!
Jeff

Hamilton, OH

#6 Mar 31, 2007
This story sounds like a writer who is trying to make this story more important than what it is. I live in Northern KY and am vacation at the Mouse House. You know, I would love him come to UK, just like any other KY fan. But.....there are a hell of a lot more important things to be talked about. Bottom line, "Who gives a [email protected]!". I think Florida fans are every bit as nuts as KY fans. Period. I don't seem to remember the outrage from FL fans when they poached a football coach from a very successful Utah program that the coach built. Outrageous!! Please! Put it to bed. Whatever decision he makes, he makes. End of story. Both programs will be successful and KY will find a good coach. In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter?
Rick

New Orleans, LA

#7 Mar 31, 2007
Another masterpiece by Bianchi. As proven by the hundreds of posts by UK fans from KY on a South Florida website with their incessant crowing about how superior they are, somehow UK fans seem to believe this IS about them. Just enjoy watching the SEC's best basketball team play again today in the Final Four, and put your delusional ramblings on hold.
Cez

United States

#8 Mar 31, 2007
Mike, The only kentucky fan to comment on your article says he read the article, and then he goes on to behave just as you descibe in the article. It is actually funny. You have them right on. they are riding coattails. What else do they have? baseball? ha ha
Doug

Carrollton, TX

#9 Mar 31, 2007
Bianchi,
I couldn't agree with you any more. The media and message board posters are doing everything they can to take away an incredible experience and time in history of our team and their accomplishments. For my part, I've simply ignored any posts and/or reports beginning with UK and Donovan and have focused on the incredible run we've had. It's easy to get sucked into such debates but Florida fans really should enjoy the moment and ignore those who wish they were a part of it. These comments being made just reek envy. You are totally correct in that this is not about "them", it's ALL about us. The University of Florida is in the Final Four for the second year in a row and I am one proud Gator for that fact. GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!
All Day

United States

#10 Mar 31, 2007
Bianchi, you are losing your mind, and along with it any sense of journalistic integrity. If this Final Four really is about the Gators, then why does it seem that all you can do is talk about Kentucky. Your article is exhibit A that your premise is false. Bash away Mr. Bianchi. I can't wait to see the article you write when Coach Donovan accepts the job next week.
My only advice to UK officials would be to ban you from the press conference: I am afraid your head might explode.

Best wishes
Mike

Kissimmee, FL

#14 Mar 31, 2007
Actually catfan, Rick Pitino advised Billy D NOT to take the Florida job. Anyways, UK fans have proven they are the worst and have stuck a big foot in their mouths. What do they say, 'if you can't beat'em, join'em'. They want to be like Florida.
Mike

Kissimmee, FL

#15 Mar 31, 2007
Jeff wrote:
This story sounds like a writer who is trying to make this story more important than what it is. I live in Northern KY and am vacation at the Mouse House. You know, I would love him come to UK, just like any other KY fan. But.....there are a hell of a lot more important things to be talked about. Bottom line, "Who gives a [email protected]!". I think Florida fans are every bit as nuts as KY fans. Period. I don't seem to remember the outrage from FL fans when they poached a football coach from a very successful Utah program that the coach built. Outrageous!! Please! Put it to bed. Whatever decision he makes, he makes. End of story. Both programs will be successful and KY will find a good coach. In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter?
Hey Jeff, How long was Meyer at Utah? How long does it take to build a program? Whatever.
Pete

Bellevue, WA

#16 Mar 31, 2007
Clearly Donovan is between a rock and a hard place.

If he says he will not coach at UK, he will create a media firestorm. If he says he will, he will do the same thing.

On the eve of the Final Four, the only thing he can do is tiptoe around the subject.

His silence on the issue means nothing-- except to those dopes who want it to mean something.
Juan

United States

#17 Mar 31, 2007
Ok, I bit! You get a hit and a response from me. You win, goal accomplished.
You have written a story to get a reaction..........
You know what, I even started to look up exact stats for you but it is entirely unnecessary for me to do so, being a Kentucky fan.
Did you say "Premier Basketball program in the SEC" ?
Go back over the last 10 years or go back 50 years.......... and which would be the Premier Program.. Like I said, I am confident that being a UK fan, I don't even need the stats to know. You on the other hand may need to qualify your statements with some stats to back it up. Or be more specific.
You see, UF has really been good the last two years and pretty decent the year before that. So IF you were to say that UF has been the TOP program for 2 years, then that is something different.
Just because we've only won 5 SEC championships ( to go with 5 SEC tournament championships)in the last 10 years and were what, 6 pts (in an OT championship game)away from winning the NCAA tournament 3 years in a row in the last 11 years doesn't mean that we have actually been dethroned from being the premier program in the SEC.(Do you see my point?)
We know at Kentucky (contrary to popular belief) that we can't win it every year, no problem. But we also know that programs come and go, does that sound like any of 3 programs in the final four this year? Oh, and the forth, who gets a huge amount of respect for an unparalleled record for one decade I'm pretty sure it was the sixties that they absolutely owned, since then I believe they won one, so good for them, that we can and have to respect.
But the thing is, is that our local news, is and should damn well better be covering our coaching search. Our message boards and blogs are perfectly within their right to hash it out as much as we like. That's our thing, college basketball. It's what we do.
But you, call us haughty, and arrogant (which I think we've earned; all the record books back it up!- so be it) and say that we want it to be all about us. Florida writers, oh yeah- and every NATIONALLY televised sports talk show, media outlet and broadcaster want to make the final four about UK basketball and Billy D.!! Truth is we don't care who wins. We just want to find out if Billy is coming to UK when the Gators season is over are done.
So good luck to the Gators, but remember, this won't last at Florida, with or without Donavan. I'm not being harsh to the program, but we in Kentucky watch these situations come and go all the time.
An interesting thing last night on the news relating to basketball in Florida. The Magic get a 17000 seat Professional Arena to fill up close to the playoffs and it makes the news as a big deal. We happen to have a 23000 seat place that we fill every time our team puts on the uniform to play, think about that Mike.......... Professional: 17000 makes the news for a sellout at playoff time, 23000 fills up for a practice at the beginning of every season.
So don't trash us, for freaking NATIONAL Coverage of our coaching search. Personally I think you owe us an apology. But whatever..........
Dissapointed,
Juan (from Louisville, Ky)
Lake Mary, Florida
Laura

Tallahassee, FL

#18 Mar 31, 2007
I think it's THE MEDIA that keeps pressing BD to talk about his coaching future, and not Kentucky fans, who are content talking amongst themselves right now. Great that you're a UF fan. I USED to be.
UKFan1

Bowling Green, KY

#20 Mar 31, 2007
The fact that you are really in denial about the OBVIOUS fact that BIlly D is considering the UK job proves that you have no journalistic integrity. If you really believe that, you are just plain stupid. If you don't believe it, then it goes back to my integrity point because you would rather be controversial and have people read your articles than convey what you really know to be true. His OWN FATHER said that Billy will take a look at the job. To allude to anything else is irresponsible reporting.
gator

Phenix City, AL

#21 Mar 31, 2007
If Donavon leaves, get his former assistant
John Pelphrey.
As coach of South Alabama, he even made the NCAA Tournament last year.
Juan

United States

#22 Mar 31, 2007
DestinyYachtClub - your from Indiana (I won't even get started with that though), you and I both know what basketball is like around Kentuckiana. I'm sorry that you don't realize that Gator fans are doing the same thing on our message boards. It goes on about anything between any fans of any major sport. Once again, blame the national media about putting this on center stage. And your damn right Tubby is gone, great guy, great family and a class act, but 20+ losses in 2 seasons we don't do....sorry. How many football losses would UF accept?(Let's refer to hmmmmmm Zook!!) So then I think now you understand. Once again, good luck to the Gators as the SEC Champs and reps in the tournament.
Rick: all the stats back it up, our program is superior! Sorry, that does tend to breed arrogance, please allow me to apologize for inflamatory remarks made by less articulate UK fans that may tend to discount UF's accomplishments the last couple of years.
Anyone: Please explain the whole coattail thing.....
And BTW I'm fine with my penis!Thank you very much!

Oh yeah, I've been to a few Gator Football games (rooting for Kentucky of coarse) and have never had a better experience watching football, great time, great fans (very polite, great people)! I had a great time even though we get out arses kicked regularly.
MCB

AOL

#23 Mar 31, 2007
First off-Billy is not from UK-so how can he "come home" there? And Liza what makes you think he's coming there? Read his statements Friday-I love Florida-"I'm very happy here-my family is very happy here-I want to be here for as long as they want me" Just heard him talk on ESPN-get rid of your arrogance Liza-
Liza wrote:
Mr. Bianci,
This article has a hint of bitter in it! Sorry to burst your bubble, but you and I both know Donovan is on his way to UK! Oh, and the reason the press is about UK and not UF in the final four is exactly the reason Donovan will go! Basketball will always be the shadow at UF and you and I both know that Donovan wants the spotlight!
To Juan

Pompano Beach, FL

#24 Mar 31, 2007
Bianchi.. You claim that the UF program has a 100% graduation rate. Academics are important to Billy.

Reading Juan's reply, why would he want to go to a school that graduates people like Juan who don't know proper grammar. I mean he "is, is, is" clearly one of those who fell through te cracks.

Billy won't be at Florda all his life. I am also sure that his goal is eventually th NBA. Why would he not hold out for that rather than go to a potentially thankless situation at UK? I hope he stays.

I live in South Florida, so I know first hand what it was like to go through days with Saban's denials and pompous attitude. Short of the Gators humiliating him, Billy staying at Florida is my second wish.
Matt

Chicago, IL

#25 Mar 31, 2007
You claim that the Final Four is all about UF rather than UK. However, look back at what you have been writing about of late and you will find plenty of your own articles about Kentucky. Maybe, deep down, you find the "talk" about Billy to UK more interesting than a potential UF championship. Truth be told, it is more interesting, unless you are talking about a UF football championship. In that case, all the talk of UK and Billy D. would be on the pages following the Outdoor Report.
Joseph

Lakeland, FL

#28 Mar 31, 2007
UK fans, quit being so damn ignorant. "Somehow" on the eve of the Final Four, Billy's contract offer is leaked to the media. Why? Because they know sports media these days love controversy, the unknown. They knew that every freaking sports radio station would be engulfed in the pure speculation on what Billy Donovan will do. They wanted to get the Kentucky name onto the airwaves, in the paper, and on the Sports Center's of the country.

Great article Mike. I cannot wait til Donovan is resigned so these UK fans will just go away. My only fear is that FEMA react in time to help in the state of Kentucky with what could be the worst disaster they've had in years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Gators Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Florida booster clears Antonio Callaway of sexu... Aug 17 vulcanalex 1
Get your Gator Jamberry Nail Wraps (Oct '14) Oct '14 jambycatherine 1
Classless Fans (Jan '14) Jan '14 Los Angeles Fan o... 1
News Tim Tebow tells Gators he's not recruiting for ... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Suburban Meyer 2
News David Jones: Driskel has Gators fans thinking '... (Sep '12) Oct '12 Florida Swamper 2
News Gator Lee Humphrey is awaiting his shot (May '07) Dec '10 BUCKEYE AND NOLE 16
News Magic notes: Before rematch, ex-Gator Horford t... (Jan '09) Jan '09 willie 1
More from around the web