Magnet school boots honor student for...

Magnet school boots honor student for YouTube video

There are 57 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Dec 26, 2007, titled Magnet school boots honor student for YouTube video. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Brooke Sarley says she has a sarcastic sense of humor and is a big fan of The Colbert Report political satire on the Comedy Central network.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Larry

West Palm Beach, FL

#56 Dec 27, 2007
Lori wrote:
I agree with you 100 percent. It's the job of parents to teach their children right from wrong, not the schools. Too bad that mom thinks "what her daughter did is no big deal."
Fat mama doing what she's always done...sitting on her behind watching soap operas on TV and not paying attention to the kids
duke man

United States

#57 Dec 27, 2007
the real thing is that a bunch of average intelligent morons who teach at a magnet school did not want an intelligent student at their school. if i am reading correct, she is just booted from the magnet school and now goes back to her local cesspool middle school. she learned a great lesson, never put yourself in position where your destiny is controlled by petty people.
discipline issues

Hollywood, FL

#58 Dec 27, 2007
red wrote:
To the people who think it was too harsh--you don't work in a school do you? I work in a magnet school where the rules are not followed. One day I had two TV production students with a camera place a condom on my desk to film a debate for their TV class. I told hem turn off the camera and I will explain to you why I will not discuss it. I explained that you took away my right to say yes or no to the filming. This is what happens with students. They have not learned or have not been taught about other peoples rights whether it be at school or at home. She got what she deserved for her actions.
You can call us all the names you want but to be a deceint hard working American, they have to learn sometimes in ways they or other people feel are unfair.
In the classroom, the teacher has to have autonomy. There are enough people second-guessing teachers' actions. That does not give the teacher the right to use corporal punishment, but you need to be able to maintain discipline. There will always be some little jerk that threatens you with "Mommy is a lawyer and we are going to sue you."
I
" I have a close personal friend" who found a condom on his chair one day and it was put there by a girl who showed up to class several times at the beginning of the semester, and then less-frequently after that. She was always doing whatever she could to disrupt the class when she was there. Come finals, she showed up to take the final exam! Needless to say, she was told your score on the final doesn't matter as you missed too many classes to pass. She made a vulgar remark, showed her middle finger to the teacher in front of the class, and waddled off. Of course, she is a 'special needs' child with 'components of emotional disturbance.' Whatever...

Actions have consequences. Learn from your mistakes. Be all you can be, like the Army used to say. And dispose of your condoms properly.
My Child IS Gifted

Hollywood, FL

#59 Dec 27, 2007
What you hear from many parents:
"My Child IS Gifted!"

All children are above-average. They all deserve special care. They all should be in gifted programs.

The best education is trying and failing, because it instills in the child the desire not to repeat the mistake.

Sorry, young lady. Did you learn anything of value?
one who knows

United States

#60 Dec 27, 2007
No 1 Sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
The teacher was taped, without knowledge during a teaching session. The video was then posted with profanity-filled caption beneath it without the teacher's knowledge or permission. Do not turn this around on the teacher.
the teacher is a government employee- get over it. If I posted a picture od Charlie Crist with profanity- should the thought police come and get me too? How about if we find all the students who say mean things about their teachers and throw them out of school too.

“Mr Tyzik is crushing your head”

Since: Dec 06

Wherever I kick my shoes off

#61 Dec 27, 2007
one who knows wrote:
<quoted text>
the teacher is a government employee- get over it. If I posted a picture od Charlie Crist with profanity- should the thought police come and get me too? How about if we find all the students who say mean things about their teachers and throw them out of school too.
I'm not sure why you are so argumentative about the punishment the girl got when I was responding to your post on how the teacher was acting. You stated the teacher should not have done something in front of hundreds of kids, where I was correcting you that it was a classroom and she was taped without her knowledge. Two different things, but I guess you are feeling feisty. So, here goes.

First, just because the teacher is a government employee does not mean that is an automatic "ok" to demean and slander a person on the internet. I am not sure why you would say something like that, but I truly hope you have more respect for people than that. Second, this rule is from the conduct rule book:

"Any student who uses an article disruptive to school to inappropriately photograph, audiotape, videotape or otherwise record a person without his/her knowledge or consent will be subject to disciplinary action."

This is exactly what the girl did. Attending a magnet school is a privlidge, not a right. By breaking rules, you can be asked to leave. She was not "thrown out of school", but asked to leave and attend the regular middle school.

To compare it to the Charlie Crist thing. If you were an employee of Charlie Crist and had rules about slandering or embarassing or videotaping people in the office hence punishment if violated, then I would gather if you did something like that you would not have a job anymore. And rightfully so by that office. See, this is not a random girl who just posted something about someone else on the internet, there is a different set of rules based on those two DIFFERENT scenarios. So, maybe you need to get over it and look at the whole picture.

Last but not least, do I believe that they were harsh on her? I do think they were harsh considering her background and her clear remorse for what she had done. Maybe some detention or internal suspension or something. I don't know. But, regardless, it is written that if you break rules you can be asked to leave the school. She knew that and did it anyway. That was her flip of the coin and it ended up badly for her. Such is life.
Vote em out

Peoria, AZ

#62 Dec 27, 2007
Let the kid get on with her life...geesh. What about all those criminals in schools who bully, harrass, steal, and do drugs. Those are the jerks the school district wants to "save".

She receive the consequences of her actions. However, there are those who do MUCH worse and are still at a school.

Liberal school board members...vote them OUT!
Frank

Boca Raton, FL

#63 Dec 27, 2007
It is ILLEGAL in Florida to record people without their knowledge. This is not a matter of school policy. It is the LAW.
me4sure

Miamisburg, OH

#64 Dec 27, 2007
MaryBeth wrote:
White kids are always doing STUPID things, look at what they did at the zoo in California!
What has race got to do with this or the zoo thing.........All kids do stupid things from time to time. Get over it.
Poor little girl

Boca Raton, FL

#67 Dec 27, 2007
Mama should be glad she was just removed from her honors school and put back into regular school and not expelled. Mama should be ashamed of her daughter and be disciplining her and not saying the school board is wrong. Shame on you mama. Maybe you should start being a real mother. That may helpl!!!
dabs

Lakeland, FL

#68 Dec 28, 2007
There is a big difference between cutting school and abusing her privileges as the sports yearbook editor to carry a camera. She broke the rules, she abused her privilege, she posted a video that may have been funny to her but was derogatory of the teacher, and therefore deserves the punishment. She's lucky she wasn't expelled from school all together and that they took into account that this was a first time event and just pulled her out of the magnet program.

Teachers who do the same thing would be fired and lose their license. Yes, they are adults and should have a stiffer punishment. But kids today are getting away with a lot and falling back on "I didn't know". Sorry kiddo- you knew. She probably signed a code of ethics and something stating that she knew the rules. That's their proof that she knew. Or they are in their agenda and the school went over them at the beginning of the year.

This is not a case of free speech being revoked. This is a case where a student broke school rules and is being punished accordingly.
Mother of three wrote:
I believe it is way too much of a punishment. My middle child just got caught by her teacher skipping class for the first time and she got a long talk from her teacher, punishment from us but the teacher was smart enough to know that she is a good student and a good kid so she did not take it to the office and you would not believe the change!! Discipline is fine and needed but this girl does not deserve to be suspended and her future put at risk. She is a child and obviously did not understand the extent of her accions. She is not a criminal, not a drug dealer and yes she is a good student. Give her a break, you already made your point.
one who knows

United States

#69 Dec 28, 2007
No 1 Sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure why you are so argumentative about the punishment the girl got when I was responding to your post on how the teacher was acting. You stated the teacher should not have done something in front of hundreds of kids, where I was correcting you that it was a classroom and she was taped without her knowledge. Two different things, but I guess you are feeling feisty. So, here goes.
First, just because the teacher is a government employee does not mean that is an automatic "ok" to demean and slander a person on the internet. I am not sure why you would say something like that, but I truly hope you have more respect for people than that. Second, this rule is from the conduct rule book:
"Any student who uses an article disruptive to school to inappropriately photograph, audiotape, videotape or otherwise record a person without his/her knowledge or consent will be subject to disciplinary action."
This is exactly what the girl did. Attending a magnet school is a privlidge, not a right. By breaking rules, you can be asked to leave. She was not "thrown out of school", but asked to leave and attend the regular middle school.
To compare it to the Charlie Crist thing. If you were an employee of Charlie Crist and had rules about slandering or embarassing or videotaping people in the office hence punishment if violated, then I would gather if you did something like that you would not have a job anymore. And rightfully so by that office. See, this is not a random girl who just posted something about someone else on the internet, there is a different set of rules based on those two DIFFERENT scenarios. So, maybe you need to get over it and look at the whole picture.
Last but not least, do I believe that they were harsh on her? I do think they were harsh considering her background and her clear remorse for what she had done. Maybe some detention or internal suspension or something. I don't know. But, regardless, it is written that if you break rules you can be asked to leave the school. She knew that and did it anyway. That was her flip of the coin and it ended up badly for her. Such is life.
My point is that the whole thing with teachers has gone too far. I agree that I went a little overboard and we do agree on a few points. Pretty soon they will want to censor students if they are over heard saying "Mr. Smith is an a-hole" and throw them out of school. I agree that she broke the rules and should be punished. But thrown out of school?? What if she posted on her myspace page that so and so was a jerk or a worse name but without the video? where do you draw the line? is it free speech or not? are students not allowed to voice their opinion when they are out of school?

“Mr Tyzik is crushing your head”

Since: Dec 06

Wherever I kick my shoes off

#70 Dec 28, 2007
one who knows wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is that the whole thing with teachers has gone too far. I agree that I went a little overboard and we do agree on a few points. Pretty soon they will want to censor students if they are over heard saying "Mr. Smith is an a-hole" and throw them out of school. I agree that she broke the rules and should be punished. But thrown out of school?? What if she posted on her myspace page that so and so was a jerk or a worse name but without the video? where do you draw the line? is it free speech or not? are students not allowed to voice their opinion when they are out of school?
Without a video, I don't see where she would be punished for saying Ms. Smith is a jerk. She broke a written rule. And again, she wasn't just thrown out of school. Yes, she was asked to leave that particular one and return to her regular middle school, but she was not "expelled".

I think each scenario is to be dealt with on a case by case basis. This is pretty cut and dry. She broke a rule and has now had to face the consequences she was well aware of. Also remember that freedom is speech is one thing, but slander and libel are another. If you say you don't like someone, that is one thing. If you post video and nasty comments about them, is another. If you go on line and post that they are drug dealers or pedophiles...another. The internet and freedome of speech do not give you free reign to embarass and harass people.
PghNative

New Orleans, LA

#71 Dec 28, 2007
David Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Expelling a magent school kid for a very creative prank? Spare me. Let's send her to film school- she'll probably come up with better stories than the drivel we get out of Hollywood!!!!
I agree.
Schools are meant to empower the child.
To help them get ready to compete in life.
This cripples this child.
I also think if the school board is going to make her pay such a steep price the video should be re-posted for all to see.
After all, the child has paid dearly and now the the board has nothing else to say about it.
This was vengence, not justice.
A Bak 8th grader

West Palm Beach, FL

#72 Dec 30, 2007
Brooke was wrong, but the school was more wrong. A simple suspension would have been enough, but instead, the booted out one of my good friends. I don't think the school board knows how hard it is to start all over again in 8th grade. I was in 3 of Brooke's classes,including yearbook, and I was in shock that a good friend of mine recieved such harshness. The yearbook suffered, too, since we now don't have a sports editor. All of you who think she got what she deserved, put yourself in her shoes.
ILY, Brooke! I miss you!
pollyanna

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#73 Dec 30, 2007
A Bak 8th grader wrote:
Brooke was wrong, but the school was more wrong. A simple suspension would have been enough, but instead, the booted out one of my good friends. I don't think the school board knows how hard it is to start all over again in 8th grade. I was in 3 of Brooke's classes,including yearbook, and I was in shock that a good friend of mine recieved such harshness. The yearbook suffered, too, since we now don't have a sports editor. All of you who think she got what she deserved, put yourself in her shoes.
ILY, Brooke! I miss you!
Wow, it sounds like she let down a lot of people. Live and learn, hopefully.
Random Friend of Brooke

West Palm Beach, FL

#74 Jan 13, 2009
People make mistakes, what can i say?! What you did was put a video on youtube?! How many kids or even teens haven't? Your going on a path throught out your life of many faults and achievements.... What you did was one of the faults. Luv ya.
GOOO BROOKE.=]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Atlantic Owls NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Florida Atlantic University to get new fitness ... (Aug '07) Nov '09 Jonathan Branger 22
News Mike Jarvs, FAU basketball (Apr '09) Apr '09 hmmmmmm 1
News Collins rises to challenge (Jan '09) Jan '09 FAU 02 2
News Owls rout FIU in first round (Mar '08) Mar '08 DUSKY 1
News Walters returns to scene of glory (Nov '07) Nov '07 Julio 1
News Boston College edges Florida Atlantic (Nov '07) Nov '07 John 1
News FAU coach Rex Walters has star junior Carlos Mo... (Nov '07) Nov '07 John 3
More from around the web