Magnet school boots honor student for...

Magnet school boots honor student for YouTube video

There are 57 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Dec 26, 2007, titled Magnet school boots honor student for YouTube video. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Brooke Sarley says she has a sarcastic sense of humor and is a big fan of The Colbert Report political satire on the Comedy Central network.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

U R A Moron

Livermore, CA

#34 Dec 27, 2007
Simpleton, no one took away her freedom, she merely learned the lesson that along with freedoms come responsibilitys.
Freedom of What wrote:
Nice work kid. Freedom of Speech. Oh wait, Freedom of the Press, oh wait, this isn't America anymore. The average citizen is too stupid to compete with the rest of the world so they use the "Sensitive" card. Oh well...

“Mr Tyzik is crushing your head”

Since: Dec 06

Wherever I kick my shoes off

#36 Dec 27, 2007
Mother of three wrote:
I believe it is way too much of a punishment. My middle child just got caught by her teacher skipping class for the first time and she got a long talk from her teacher, punishment from us but the teacher was smart enough to know that she is a good student and a good kid so she did not take it to the office and you would not believe the change!! Discipline is fine and needed but this girl does not deserve to be suspended and her future put at risk. She is a child and obviously did not understand the extent of her accions. She is not a criminal, not a drug dealer and yes she is a good student. Give her a break, you already made your point.
Gave her a talking to? When I was in school you got detention and then internal suspension for skipping classes.

She wasn't suspended. She was asked to leave the school. She is now attending her district, public school. Any private or specialized school has the right to ask one to leave if you break the rules. That was her consequence. She knew it, which is why she asked her mom not to fight it.
Terry

Pompano Beach, FL

#38 Dec 27, 2007
a teacher wrote:
...... it's good to see the school district finally enforce some of the rules that it has on the books. unfortunately, this is not done across the district. administrators pick and choose their battles. i have seen plenty of kids who have recorded other students and teachers.
i wonder what this young lady's mother would have done if her daughter had been photographed and her picture or video was placed on a you tube video with derogatory statements or profanity attached to it? i'm assuming it wouldn't be so funny or appropriate and the parent would be retaining a lawyer and holding the school district responsible.
Perfect. This Mom is not doing her child any favors by not enforcing responsibility. At minimum , a certain level of respect for teachers should be modeled. No, "Mom" would not want this done to her or her daughter. Everyone should ask themselves if they truly believe that a covert video posted with profanity and likely insult is something that should go unchecked.

For those comparing this to a loss of free speech and harsh. Please. School is a priviledge not a right. This is even more true for a magnet that cannot take everyone who would love to have the opportunity to attend (and act responsibly).

My sincere gratitude to teachers out there trying to work in today's conditions.
one who knows

United States

#39 Dec 27, 2007
Lori wrote:
Yeah, what a bunch of bullies. They stood up for a teacher. They enforced the rules. They took away a privilege from a student who still thinks what she did was "funny." What a bunch of bullies!
If it was embarrassing to be posted on youtube, maybe the teacher shouldn't be doing it in school in front of hundreds of students.
NEW ATTITUDE

Durham, NC

#40 Dec 27, 2007
Scum Sucking Lawyer wrote:
OK - every post prior to this just came down hard on a teenager. Wow, what a country. It's amazing that YOU can say whatever the **** you want, but this girl doesn't have the right to say what she wants.
However, speech is not the issue. Remember the student up north who taped his teacher preaching creationism in class, and was suspended because of it??
The problem is that the schools and the school board do NOT want the students able to record what goes on in their classrooms. They want deniability. AFterall, who's going to believe a teenager who doesn't have a tape of the teacher over the teacher's word, right?
THIS is just the school board covering their own ***es by promulgating this rule against taping. THAT'S the rule that got her in trouble. And that rule is just plain wrong.
Ok, you're an idiot and are probably the same age and maturity as the girl in this article. She took away the teacher's rights and sent it across the internet without consent.This kid, and her mother are perfect examples of why this country is in such a mess. There are no consequences for kids anymore. Their parents think that everything they do is "ok" and "within tolerance". Well wake up and look at what's going on around us. Parents need to discipline and let their kids suffer the consequences for their actions. By the way, I am a parent of teenagers.
Kill Whitey

United States

#41 Dec 27, 2007
Looks like a future ACLU commie in the making.
lake worth parent

Hollywood, FL

#42 Dec 27, 2007
Freedom of What wrote:
Nice work kid. Freedom of Speech. Oh wait, Freedom of the Press, oh wait, this isn't America anymore. The average citizen is too stupid to compete with the rest of the world so they use the "Sensitive" card. Oh well...
She is not being denied her freedom of speech. She broke the rule of videotaping in class. I know she had permission to carry a camera for the yearbook, but video with the phone was not permitted. I get sick when I read this, because many of our kids could have made the same mistake. Parents did not deal with this in their generation. We were taping off the radio and playing records. We have to start thinking of how our kids can abuse technology (something many of us did not have the opportunity to do as kids.)
native

Lake Worth, FL

#43 Dec 27, 2007
Mother of three wrote:
I believe it is way too much of a punishment. My middle child just got caught by her teacher skipping class for the first time and she got a long talk from her teacher, punishment from us but the teacher was smart enough to know that she is a good student and a good kid so she did not take it to the office and you would not believe the change!! Discipline is fine and needed but this girl does not deserve to be suspended and her future put at risk. She is a child and obviously did not understand the extent of her accions. She is not a criminal, not a drug dealer and yes she is a good student. Give her a break, you already made your point.
So your daughter's teacher was "smart" enough to break the rules for your daughter? Your attitude towards teachers is a major part of the problem with society today. Also, why is the future of the girl in the article more important than the future of the teacher??? Your parental skills need to be re-evaluated. When kids don't have appropriate consequences, they become problem adults.
juju

Hialeah, FL

#44 Dec 27, 2007
It is a priviledge, not a right to attend BAK. Presumably this bright young lady got in based on her natural intelectual talents. I suspect she was told once too often how "smart" she is and how "talented" she is. This is a perfect example of what happens when a kid thinks they are just so smart they can do whatever they choose. You blew it honey. In the future use that talent for better things.
paultaiwan2003

Taichung, Taiwan

#45 Dec 27, 2007
RED BARON wrote:
I bet if she got caught selling drugs, carrying a weapon or stealing she would have gotten a slap on the wrist and would be still attending the school after a brief suspension.
To you and the three posters who said you were 100% correct:

All of you are 100% WRONG. Selling or even carrying drugs and carrying a weapon are zero tolerance offenses in most school districts. That means mandatory expulsion with possible placement at an alternative education center. Stealing is usually a mandatory 10-day expulsion.
Eric

Walnut Creek, CA

#46 Dec 27, 2007
In a 1998 Missouri case, Beussink vs. Woodland R-IV School District, a student who created a Web page at home that used foul language to criticize the school and its administration was suspended for 10 days. The U.S. District Court ruled against the school district, stating that "disliking or being upset by the content of a student's speech is not an acceptable justification for limiting student speech."

Hmmmm! I'm wondering why we have such a degenerated, disrespectful, irresponsible, violent, it wasn't me, sexually perverted, corrupted society?

“Mr Tyzik is crushing your head”

Since: Dec 06

Wherever I kick my shoes off

#47 Dec 27, 2007
one who knows wrote:
<quoted text>
If it was embarrassing to be posted on youtube, maybe the teacher shouldn't be doing it in school in front of hundreds of students.
The teacher was taped, without knowledge during a teaching session. The video was then posted with profanity-filled caption beneath it without the teacher's knowledge or permission. Do not turn this around on the teacher.
Get Real

Hollywood, FL

#48 Dec 27, 2007
It is almost amusing to observe the obvious (lack of) mentality of those who attack others calling them idiots and such while misspelling and using improper grammar. Why is it that people who are too ignorant to understand something someone else is saying assumes they must be the idiot and not themselves? What's scary is that they are allowed to vote.

The crux of this story is very, very simple. The girl was attending a magnet school that has students standing in line to get into. She broke the rules, abused her privileges, and ignored the rights of others. She was rightfully dismissed. There is nothing to debate. All magnet students know the rules; they sign a form stating such. They all know the terms of dismissal. I know this to be a fact because my daughter attends a magnet school. Now another student will receive the opportunity that this girl blew.
PghNative

New Orleans, LA

#49 Dec 27, 2007
Lori wrote:
Yeah, what a bunch of bullies. They stood up for a teacher. They enforced the rules. They took away a privilege from a student who still thinks what she did was "funny." What a bunch of bullies!
The Question is...Was It Funny?
Now that she has paid the price I think the vedio should be reposted so we all can see what the fuss is about.
PghNative

New Orleans, LA

#50 Dec 27, 2007
Eric wrote:
In a 1998 Missouri case, Beussink vs. Woodland R-IV School District, a student who created a Web page at home that used foul language to criticize the school and its administration was suspended for 10 days. The U.S. District Court ruled against the school district, stating that "disliking or being upset by the content of a student's speech is not an acceptable justification for limiting student speech."
Hmmmm! I'm wondering why we have such a degenerated, disrespectful, irresponsible, violent, it wasn't me, sexually perverted, corrupted society?
Can you read?
This was meant to be sarcastic.
Why put the sins of the world on this kid?
Parents

Pompano Beach, FL

#51 Dec 27, 2007
I have asked my (Broward school Dist.) to allow me and other parents to come in and help with high school eyes and ears, because of the drug use at school. I was told "this is not the place to find kids with drugs". So with that said I understand now why no recording of teacher or the school. Good luck to the good kids.

“I have an opinion”

Since: Sep 07

Boca Raton Fl

#52 Dec 27, 2007
Going to a Magnet school is a privilege, carrying a camera on campus is a privilege. she screwed up, posted offensive stuff on the web about or involving a teacher useing the advantages she was given. Now she got whacked for it, case closed.
Yes we have Freedomm of Speech here, no, it isn't free
2 many bigots

Jacksonville, FL

#53 Dec 27, 2007
Nobody is saying she shouldn't be punished, only that this punishment was too harsh. Why wouldn't a suspension have been enough? How was this offense severe enough to warrant expulsion? This is what we're asking.

College admissions are so competitive today that students have to start preparing early. If a student gets kicked out of a magnet middle school, she probably won't be able to go to a magnet high school--which would make it harder to get accepted to a good college. Why should typical mischief be punished with lifelong consequences?

Based on the information in this article, I'd say this student deserves another chance.
David Guest

Miami, FL

#54 Dec 27, 2007
RED BARON wrote:
I bet if she got caught selling drugs, carrying a weapon or stealing she would have gotten a slap on the wrist and would be still attending the school after a brief suspension. School administrators today are so warped in the head it isn't a surprise that today's youth grow up with no common sense. They learn from our idiot "educators".
You are wrong- she only would have a slap on the wrist if she were black or hispanic. White kids get expelled, minorities get a hundred second chances- welcome to liberal run America.
Expelling a magent school kid for a very creative prank? Spare me. Let's send her to film school- she'll probably come up with better stories than the drivel we get out of Hollywood!!!!
Larry

West Palm Beach, FL

#55 Dec 27, 2007
Brooke Sarley screwed up wrote:
Yeah, that is what she did. Learned her lesson, that is what good 14 year old kids do, they screw up, learn the lesson and move on... JUST LIKE MANY OF US DID! Do not hang this good kid out to dry. No priorĀ“s? Normally not a problem? Involved, good kid in a magnet prgram, COME ON! Wake up people, you have got gang bangers all around and your going to allow the powers to be to put this girl out to pasture for this???? Write the school board, write the principal and tell them this is not ACCEPTABLE! Discipline her, ok, but dont toss her out!!
Because the administrators are scared smitless of the gang-bangers they wouldn't dare pick on them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Atlantic Owls NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Florida Atlantic University to get new fitness ... (Aug '07) Nov '09 Jonathan Branger 22
News Mike Jarvs, FAU basketball (Apr '09) Apr '09 hmmmmmm 1
News Collins rises to challenge (Jan '09) Jan '09 FAU 02 2
News Owls rout FIU in first round (Mar '08) Mar '08 DUSKY 1
News Walters returns to scene of glory (Nov '07) Nov '07 Julio 1
News Boston College edges Florida Atlantic (Nov '07) Nov '07 John 1
News FAU coach Rex Walters has star junior Carlos Mo... (Nov '07) Nov '07 John 3
More from around the web