Magnet school boots honor student for YouTube video

Brooke Sarley says she has a sarcastic sense of humor and is a big fan of The Colbert Report political satire on the Comedy Central network. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Brooke Sarley screwed up

Spain

#1 Dec 27, 2007
Yeah, that is what she did. Learned her lesson, that is what good 14 year old kids do, they screw up, learn the lesson and move on... JUST LIKE MANY OF US DID! Do not hang this good kid out to dry. No priorĀ“s? Normally not a problem? Involved, good kid in a magnet prgram, COME ON! Wake up people, you have got gang bangers all around and your going to allow the powers to be to put this girl out to pasture for this???? Write the school board, write the principal and tell them this is not ACCEPTABLE! Discipline her, ok, but dont toss her out!!
pollyanna

Dania, FL

#3 Dec 27, 2007
So she loses the opportunity to attend a magnet school. Lesson 101 - your actions have consequences. I give the school board credit for caring enough to follow through.
RED BARON

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Dec 27, 2007
I bet if she got caught selling drugs, carrying a weapon or stealing she would have gotten a slap on the wrist and would be still attending the school after a brief suspension. School administrators today are so warped in the head it isn't a surprise that today's youth grow up with no common sense. They learn from our idiot "educators".
Wow

Miami Beach, FL

#5 Dec 27, 2007
RED BARON wrote:
I bet if she got caught selling drugs, carrying a weapon or stealing she would have gotten a slap on the wrist and would be still attending the school after a brief suspension. School administrators today are so warped in the head it isn't a surprise that today's youth grow up with no common sense. They learn from our idiot "educators".
Yeah, do as I say not as I do!
Sad but true.
Snoopy

Peoria, AZ

#6 Dec 27, 2007
RED BARON wrote:
Absolutely, correct!!
actech

United States

#9 Dec 27, 2007
red baron you are 100% correct palm beach county schools administrators are the worst bunch of bullies around it is do as i say not as i do or else.a few years ago a principal pulled a water gun on a student he had to write a letter of appology that same year a student at a local middle school did a similar thing and was suspended then expelled palm beach county schools S.U.C.K.!!!!!
Lori

Pompano Beach, FL

#10 Dec 27, 2007
Yeah, what a bunch of bullies. They stood up for a teacher. They enforced the rules. They took away a privilege from a student who still thinks what she did was "funny." What a bunch of bullies!

KcK

Since: Feb 07

Plantation

#13 Dec 27, 2007
One of the literati wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a parent's job to teach their children right from wrong and how to respect others. Mom "acknowledges" that her daughter crossed the line, but it's obvious that mom thinks what her daughter did is no big deal. So can you blame the daughter for her blase attitude? The school did the right thing by kicking the girl out. If you condone that sort of treatment of the faculty and staff, it's only going to get worse.

Absolutely correct. Mom acknowledges it, but doesn't want poor Brooke to pay the consequences. No parent is doing their kid a favor by constantly giving second chances, a kid has to learn that many times there just isn't a second chance.
Lori

Pompano Beach, FL

#14 Dec 27, 2007
I agree with you 100 percent. It's the job of parents to teach their children right from wrong, not the schools. Too bad that mom thinks "what her daughter did is no big deal."
Freedom of What

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Dec 27, 2007
Nice work kid. Freedom of Speech. Oh wait, Freedom of the Press, oh wait, this isn't America anymore. The average citizen is too stupid to compete with the rest of the world so they use the "Sensitive" card. Oh well...
Scum Sucking Lawyer

Atlanta, GA

#17 Dec 27, 2007
OK - every post prior to this just came down hard on a teenager. Wow, what a country. It's amazing that YOU can say whatever the **** you want, but this girl doesn't have the right to say what she wants.

However, speech is not the issue. Remember the student up north who taped his teacher preaching creationism in class, and was suspended because of it??

The problem is that the schools and the school board do NOT want the students able to record what goes on in their classrooms. They want deniability. AFterall, who's going to believe a teenager who doesn't have a tape of the teacher over the teacher's word, right?

THIS is just the school board covering their own ***es by promulgating this rule against taping. THAT'S the rule that got her in trouble. And that rule is just plain wrong.
Georgia on my mind

Jupiter, FL

#21 Dec 27, 2007
Since when does free speech have to do with exposing people to obscene language? Children have a right not hear such things, just because some idiot thinks free speech means saying what you want, whenever you want. The mother in this is a typical mother these days; defend the child no matter what they do. Parenting is at an all time low. And people wonder why teachers are having such a hard time with this generation of kids.
Freedom of What wrote:
Nice work kid. Freedom of Speech. Oh wait, Freedom of the Press, oh wait, this isn't America anymore. The average citizen is too stupid to compete with the rest of the world so they use the "Sensitive" card. Oh well...
Maggot School

Pompano Beach, FL

#23 Dec 27, 2007
What are we doing paying for an Arts program to inspire creativity if the little monsters cannot creatively abuse the staff and teachers? And yes the administration is heavy handed and arbitrary - GET OVER IT. It has always been this way.
woody hayes

San Antonio, TX

#24 Dec 27, 2007
Just consider this a good lesson in life. Her mom should have just told her there are consequences to every action and left it at that.
Bringing the media into this is just another example of parenting by proxy.
Chris

Pompano Beach, FL

#25 Dec 27, 2007
While Scum Sucking Lawyer above is quite correct the other side is does everyone want to be photographed all the time at work? There was a proposal at my last place of employment to put video cameras in the work enviornment to make sure everyone was behaving safely and "professionally" at all times. It makes me have a certain sympathy with the teacher. No one is perfect all the time.
RED BARON

United States

#26 Dec 27, 2007
Chris wrote:
While Scum Sucking Lawyer above is quite correct the other side is does everyone want to be photographed all the time at work? There was a proposal at my last place of employment to put video cameras in the work enviornment to make sure everyone was behaving safely and "professionally" at all times. It makes me have a certain sympathy with the teacher. No one is perfect all the time.
Dude, get used to it. Video cameras are everywhere and are getting cheaper and smaller every year. They are in our phones and soon will be cheap and practical enough to fit in a button hole, wristwatch or the frame of a pair of glasses. Anyone in public better be prepared to be filmed at any time. If anything, I think it will help sort out the liars from the truth tellers. Why do you think police have them mounted on every squad car now? So when typical criminals try to drum up charges of "police abuse" they can review the video to see what REALLY happened. I'm all for it and I have no problem with being video taped anywhere as long as I'm told about it and it isn't in my house or in a bathroom.
red

Stratford, CT

#27 Dec 27, 2007
To the people who think it was too harsh--you don't work in a school do you? I work in a magnet school where the rules are not followed. One day I had two TV production students with a camera place a condom on my desk to film a debate for their TV class. I told hem turn off the camera and I will explain to you why I will not discuss it. I explained that you took away my right to say yes or no to the filming. This is what happens with students. They have not learned or have not been taught about other peoples rights whether it be at school or at home. She got what she deserved for her actions.
You can call us all the names you want but to be a deceint hard working American, they have to learn sometimes in ways they or other people feel are unfair.
MaryBeth

United States

#29 Dec 27, 2007
White kids are always doing STUPID things, look at what they did at the zoo in California!
a teacher

Delray Beach, FL

#30 Dec 27, 2007
there are rules in the district which include no cell phones or cameras should be in use during the class period or there will be a consequence.

this is a battle teachers/administrators fight all the time. if they weren't allowed in school problems such as this one wouldn't arise. society caused this problem. it's good to see the school district finally enforce some of the rules that it has on the books. unfortunately, this is not done across the district. administrators pick and choose their battles. i have seen plenty of kids who have recorded other students and teachers.

i wonder what this young lady's mother would have done if her daughter had been photographed and her picture or video was placed on a you tube video with derogatory statements or profanity attached to it? i'm assuming it wouldn't be so funny or appropriate and the parent would be retaining a lawyer and holding the school district responsible.
Mother of three

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#32 Dec 27, 2007
I believe it is way too much of a punishment. My middle child just got caught by her teacher skipping class for the first time and she got a long talk from her teacher, punishment from us but the teacher was smart enough to know that she is a good student and a good kid so she did not take it to the office and you would not believe the change!! Discipline is fine and needed but this girl does not deserve to be suspended and her future put at risk. She is a child and obviously did not understand the extent of her accions. She is not a criminal, not a drug dealer and yes she is a good student. Give her a break, you already made your point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Atlantic Owls NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Florida Atlantic University to get new fitness ... (Aug '07) Nov '09 Jonathan Branger 22
Mike Jarvs, FAU basketball (Apr '09) Apr '09 hmmmmmm 1
Collins rises to challenge (Jan '09) Jan '09 FAU 02 2
Owls rout FIU in first round (Mar '08) Mar '08 DUSKY 1
Walters returns to scene of glory (Nov '07) Nov '07 Julio 1
Boston College edges Florida Atlantic (Nov '07) Nov '07 John 1
FAU coach Rex Walters has star junior Carlos Mo... (Nov '07) Nov '07 John 3

Florida Atlantic Owls NCAA Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE