Connecticut Sports - Pro, College, High School News from The Ha...

Full story: Hartford Courant
Geno Auriemma can appreciate if some of his Big East opponents aren't always so eager to knock down walls to embrace him and his team. Full Story
Jeffrey

Orange, CT

#1 Mar 6, 2007
Yes, I think that the UConn women are back! Up until recently, I had assumed that they really were a year away from peaking as a team; that their year to win the NCAA's would be 2007-08! There are no current seniors on this year's team plus they have the consensus National High School player of the year - Maya Moore coming in next year as a freshman. But, the Lady Huskies could conceivably win it all this year. Duke is not invincible, sorry. I'd love to see a rapidly improving Tina Charles take apart Alison Bales in the post. Bales is 6'7''. But, she can't jump, has not post offensive game, and I saw her shot get blocked several times recently in a game against UNC. For a player of Bales' size to have that happen to her is comical. During one game, the television analyst compared Alison Bales to former UConn greats Rebecca Lobo and Kara Wolters. My only comment to that ridiculous statement: What an insult to Rebecca and Kara that an obviously inferior player like Bales is even mentioned in the same breath as those two all-time great UConn post players. The twin point guards of Renee Montgomery and Ketia Swanee can neutralize Duke's best key player Lindsey Harding, especially in terms of quickness. The saying "cut off the head, and the body dies" applies to Hardings' role with Duke. If you stop her, the rest of the Lady Blue Devils team will become inept in their play. That's how they lost their game recently against NC State. And, Duke's Coach Gail Gostenkors has a big, fat zero on her resume for the # of national championships. Despite last year's defeat to Duke in the Elite Eight round, I'll take Geno's coaching acumen over Goestenkors any and every time. As far as Tenn., we all saw what happened when Candace Parker has a below-average game in the SEC tournament, as she did. Tenn. went down in flames to an inferior team. So, in my opinion it is not far-fetched to think that the UConn Women can go out and win their 6th NCAA championship early next month in Cleveland the site of the Final Four!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duke Blue Devils Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Behind Enemy Lines: Q & A with Duke Report (Jan '14) Jan '14 Bo Chiz 1
How Mike Krzyzewski Is Attempting to Improve Du... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Bigwhit 1
Cavaliers Drop ACC Opener 77-66 at Boyle's Alma... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Flo 1
Knaus ejected from Daytona (Feb '06) Feb '10 pete 8
Mowins: Duke wins, but Terps can feel good, too (Jan '09) Jan '09 FunkyClaude 1
Plumlee officially a Blue Devil (May '08) May '08 BRIGGS 8
UConn 78, Old Dominion 63 -- Students, Universi... (Mar '08) Mar '08 jbg-1178 24

Duke Blue Devils Women's Basketball People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE