'Loss' not in Devils' dictionary

'Loss' not in Devils' dictionary

There are 6 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Feb 28, 2007, titled 'Loss' not in Devils' dictionary. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

It is a lofty standard that has long been drilled into the minds of Duke basketball players, but it is one the young Blue Devils had to be reminded of this season: "Losing isn't really an option for us here," ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

shark

Avon, CT

#1 Feb 28, 2007
No one every said eating one's own words was easy. I'm starting to gag on mine. The apoplexy Gary Williams often displays during games has been concealing his continuing maturation of a coach capable of getting the best out of his players, including a couple of obvious prima donnas. The guy is good.
nick sauser

United States

#2 Feb 28, 2007
Heather, I sent the following memo to Rick on Feb 16th and I did not hear back from him. You had earlier sent me a message requesting approval to talk to me about the Terps and I guess I took to long to get back to you for approval as I did not hear from you. I thought you would be interested in the memo and maybe you would have a response:

"Rick, thank you for responding to my e-mail. I appreciate a sounding board from a person who's job is in part to write about the Terps.

From your last message I guess you will be scheduled to "write off" the next two terps games. Seems appropriate that your comments indicate "write off" as that is in my opinion how you previously have felt about the termps and their capabilities.

Regarding recruiting - in your opinion "recruiting rankins means very little". I do not see how you can say "very little" - it may be overblown but very little is a stretch. There are other requirements then "what they do on the court" - there are also requieements of off the court - graduation and being a good citizen are heavily considered and well documented requirements.

The students drafted that Gary got after the national title leaved a lot to be desired in both on the court and off the court. I believe Gary believed he needed to give these people a shot at being successful by givening them palying time. IN my opinion his line of thought would be if they did not succeed it would effect his future in recruiting these highly rated basketball palayers. I believe he now realizes that was a mistake. If you look at what he is doing now - he is playing all of the people who are contributing and if you do not contribute you stay on the bench.

Gary is a very good coach (in my opinion great coach) and a solid citizen as far as charity goes. He gives his time and money to charitable organizations and in a large way.

He deserves a much better press then he is presently being given and I hope that you will eventually see him 0 if not the same light - then at least in a better perspective - that I do.

Nick Sauser Pasadena

Ricks previous comments

Hey Nick

Good to hear from you. I would read love to have written immediately following the Duke game. Unfortunately, I was not scheduled to write that day. However, the early plan calls for me to write off the Terps next two home games, so we'll see what happens.

Ill stand by my statements aabout the recruiting. Im not as concerned about what they were ranked coming in. It's a coach's job to find the best players for his system, not the ones who've attracted the most stars by some Internet service. Recruiting rankings mean very little. What makes a good class is what they do on the court, and last years's seniors and this years's have been lacking.

Terps have won two in a row. If this ship is turned around and they make a push for the NCAA Tournament, there will be plenty of opportunity to priaise the team.

Cheers,

Rick

I realize somewhat lengthy - but the main jest of my comments are - Do not be negative in your writings about the Terps - as recruits in the area are very impressionable and this creates difficulty in recruiting local talent. Rick seems to look negative first and will only write positive if pushed against the wall. Heather - I do not see that in your writings and I just thought you would be interested in one persons perspectives.

Thanks

Nick, Pasadena
Dooksux

Blacksburg, VA

#3 Feb 28, 2007
Beatin Duke...so easy a caveman could do it!
karen

Durham, NC

#4 Feb 28, 2007
actually....we dont get cheer sheets. those papers have the rosters of the team and where theyre from and stuff....not cheers to practice
Bobby Duke

Maryland Heights, MO

#5 Feb 28, 2007
When it comes right down to it, there is not much difference between Maryland and Duke. This year, Maryland has superior talent with a mediocre coach, Duke has a superior coach with mediocre talent
Bill Knopf

Silver Spring, MD

#6 Feb 28, 2007
As a long time Terps fan (Nickle Bag Wil Hetzel and the rest of the pre-Lefty guys were playing when I first started @ UM) I am constantly amazed at how quickly most fans and Sports Writers forget how bad the Terps used to be. Does anyone want to re-live the Bob Ward or pre-Lefty eras? The cry's of woe after consecutive 19 win seasons made me sick to my stomach - the old Terps took 2 years to win 19 games most of the time. Give Gary his due and allow him the opportunity to either succeed or fail without undue scrutiny. He has gone back to recruiting "Gary Williams" type players, not the "Hot One Year Wonders" you can read about on-line. This team has a great mix of experience with enough youth to infuse excitement. As witnessed by this recent surge, Gary does indeed know what he is doing both on the court and out recruiting new players. If Jai Lucas was not impressed enough to sign up after Sunday's win, we probably don't want him anyway (I'm sure several other uncommitted recruits are now willing to strongly consider UM). Keep up the Great Work GW, many of us out here think You Are STILL The Man!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duke Blue Devils Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Behind Enemy Lines: Q & A with Duke Report (Jan '14) Jan '14 Bo Chiz 1
News How Mike Krzyzewski Is Attempting to Improve Du... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Bigwhit 1
News Cavaliers Drop ACC Opener 77-66 at Boyle's Alma... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Flo 1
News Knaus ejected from Daytona (Feb '06) Feb '10 pete 8
News Mowins: Duke wins, but Terps can feel good, too (Jan '09) Jan '09 FunkyClaude 1
News Plumlee officially a Blue Devil (May '08) May '08 BRIGGS 8
News UConn 78, Old Dominion 63 -- Students, Universi... (Mar '08) Mar '08 jbg-1178 24
More from around the web