Calhoun Called Cancer Free After New ...

Calhoun Called Cancer Free After New Scare -- Public Relations,...

There are 9 comments on the Hartford Courant story from May 31, 2008, titled Calhoun Called Cancer Free After New Scare -- Public Relations,.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

That terrifying word had entered his life a third time. "I was driving home, and starting to put thoughts together about my family," Calhoun said, "and you always think of the worst scenario.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Dogpause

Bristol, CT

#1 May 31, 2008
We are so lucky to have Jim Calhoun as both a coach, and a leader and shining example of how to go about difficult tasks.

When I heard ther was going to be a press conference, I could only think that he was retiring. Now, I don't think he'll ever retire. Good luck coahc and keep fighting.
Time To Retire

London, UK

#2 May 31, 2008
Give another a chance.
your from london

Medford, NY

#3 May 31, 2008
go watch soccer
superjohn

Kokomo, IN

#4 May 31, 2008
I absolutley love Jim Calhoun and the University and state at large are lucky to have him. Cancer sucks but I have full confidence that coach will win this battle because he is one tough SOB.
Observer

Minneapolis, MN

#5 May 31, 2008
This story and the ones on Jon Lester are really puzzling.
Are we so desperate to make heroes out of people that we make a simple decision to seek treatment for a curable condition sound as if the person made it in spite of people imploring them to let the condition worsen?
When reading this article, for example, I could only think who wouldn't fight it?
I mean would most people just say, "oh well, I guess I should just live with it and let it spread throughout my body?"
cincyhusky

Cincinnati, OH

#6 May 31, 2008
Actually, a lot of people seem to do just that. They find a lump or something and immediately go into denial about what it might be. I have seen many a ghastly cancer or infection in people who did nothing after noticing that something was wrong. So, while there realy is not anything heroic about taking quick an decisive action about a new physical condition, maybe someone who would otherwise wait too long might be inspired to act more quickly..and be helped by that. Also remember that Calhoun has had two cancers. No matter how well a person does the first time, a possible recurrence is not to be messed with, and can not be assumed to be curable. The docs would not have taken so many lymph nodes if they assumed that all was well...they checked to be sure. The radiation is not a walk in the park, either, and is a significant precaution. So, maybe not heroic, but Coach is a good example of how to care for yourself when something scary crops up.
Observer wrote:
Are we so desperate to make heroes out of people that we make a simple decision to seek treatment for a curable condition sound as if the person made it in spite of people imploring them to let the condition worsen?
When reading this article, for example, I could only think who wouldn't fight it?
I mean would most people just say, "oh well, I guess I should just live with it and let it spread throughout my body?"
Bob an Kathy Johnson

Harvard, MA

#7 May 31, 2008
Coach Calhoun,

We wish you the best for a rapid and complete recovery.We have been with you since day 1 at UConn as loyal fans traveling all over the country to see your teams over the years. This is one battle we know you will win!

“5,24,48,88”

Since: Nov 07

Beacon Falls, CT.

#8 Jun 2, 2008
Observer wrote:
I wish coach Calhoun and his family all the best during his recovery. Observer is just plain lost.

“5,24,48,88”

Since: Nov 07

Beacon Falls, CT.

#9 Jun 2, 2008
Time To Retire wrote:
Give another a chance.
Not until he's ready, only he and his family will know when that time comes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connecticut Huskies Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2016 Rio Olympics: Team USA Unveils Women's Bas... (May '16) May '16 Ivyawe 2
News UConn women's basketball team will make 11th tr... (May '16) May '16 Ivyawe 1
News Remarks by the President Honoring the 2016 NCAA... (May '16) May '16 Ivyawe 1
News UConn women ranked No. 1 for first time since 2004 (Dec '07) Apr '16 Samuels Furnace Man 17
News Former UConn Player Pleads Guilty -- Courant.com (Oct '07) Mar '16 Fart news 24
News Dominican's Deysha Smith-Jenkins Will Run Track... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Coach K 1
News Houston shows some liftoff for Huskies (Jan '08) Mar '12 Jay 4
More from around the web