Rebecca Lobo Tells UConn Graduates To...

Rebecca Lobo Tells UConn Graduates To Dream Big

There are 38 comments on the Hartford Courant story from May 12, 2008, titled Rebecca Lobo Tells UConn Graduates To Dream Big. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Former UConn basketball star Rebecca Lobo regaled graduating seniors and their parents with funny stories about meeting presidents and her "ridiculous" childhood dream to play professional basketball as she ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Husky Poopla

North Haven, CT

#22 May 12, 2008
As someone who graduated UConn, I have nothing against Rebecca Lobo. But why does a university with lofty academic aspirations have to use athletes as commencement speakers? We are a couple hours from NYC and Boston, can we not find a speaker whose life experiences go beyond posting up and shooting freethrows?
What

Farmington, CT

#23 May 12, 2008
Husky Poopla wrote:
As someone who graduated UConn, I have nothing against Rebecca Lobo. But why does a university with lofty academic aspirations have to use athletes as commencement speakers? We are a couple hours from NYC and Boston, can we not find a speaker whose life experiences go beyond posting up and shooting freethrows?
You are obviously uninformed.
It is great that she is from UCONN, and a success in all aspects of her life. If she didn't have basketball I am certain she would be something. Betcha he IQ is higher than yours. Is this windy weather making people grouchy.
Newington resident

Newington, CT

#24 May 12, 2008
Chris wrote:
<quoted text> It wouldn't matter if it was Rebecca Lobo, or the Pope given the speech. I graduated the top of my class, and helped alot of people who played in sport's to keep there grades up, to dream BIG is to think BIG, today it's just a dream. I am a State employee, and raising childern on my own, I still have a hard time to make it, there is no more rich,middle class, only rich and poor.
You graduated at the top of your class, but you don't know how to spell "alot" or the difference between "there" and "their"? You don't know the difference between a plural (sports) and a possessive (sport's)? Yikes. It doesn't say much for the class you were in.
Newington resident

Newington, CT

#25 May 12, 2008
Excuse me, but when I typed the previous comment, I did type "a lot" correctly. My keyboard sometimes skips, and apparently the space bar didn't work and I didn't catch it.

There is no such word as "alot"! Go ahead, try to find it in the dictionary. You'll find "allot", but you won't find "alot".
Qman

Mansfield, TX

#26 May 12, 2008
Husky Poopla wrote:
Yes, there are many opportunities for guest speakers at commencements both from New York City and Boston. And, there are a variety of people from right here in Connecticut. I came to CT in 1993. UConn Sport programs have grown by leaps and bounds. Players from the both the women's and mens programs have gone on to successfull carreers in professional basketball, coaching and sportscasting. Who better than Rebecca Lobo to show the graduates that anything is possible. As, Miss Lobo pointed out there was no professional women's basketball ... let alone a professional woman's basketball team in CT. Graduates like her and all the others both in sports progams or not are a credit to Uconn. Andd, a fine example for today's graduates
ManchesterWillia m111

Henderson, NC

#27 May 12, 2008
Nice job Rebecca, you and your family are a class act.
We loved to see you and Jen in Church most weeks on campus.
God luck and God Bless you and your family.
Joe Mathews Litchfield

Yorktown Heights, NY

#28 May 12, 2008
Lobo is a class act. My mother is a huge Uconn basketball fan. I few years ago, I met Lobo on an airplance from DC to Hartford. She called my 70-year old mother on my cell phone to give her a thrill. Later that year, my mother, father, and my daughter Taylor were in Boston attending the final four. They spotted Lobo on the street. My mother and father approached her saying, "you called me on my son's cell phone from the airport." She smiled and said, "I remember you!" She also spoke pleasantly to my 13-year old daughter.

Fame and success has not corrupted Lobo. She represents our state and our town well.
Sean

United States

#29 May 12, 2008
Holy Cr*p! Is this story about the UCONN graduation class of 2008 or Lobo? I'm all for Lobo and what she has done for UCONN but come on! The Courant should have focused on the students and not on Lobo. That's what the Sports section is for.
4slund

Orange Park, FL

#30 May 13, 2008
I live in Florida, but every morning I read the Courant on the internet. I read the article about Rebecca Lobo being the Commencement Speaker at one of the UConn graduations. My granddaughter was fortunate to be one of those graduates and told me how pleasantly surprised she was and how good Rebecca was. She was there and who better to judge than those not in attendance. Rebecca is a fine young woman and a credit to the UConn family.
Ex CT

Ratchaburi, Thailand

#31 May 13, 2008
Newington resident wrote:
Excuse me, but when I typed the previous comment, I did type "a lot" correctly. My keyboard sometimes skips, and apparently the space bar didn't work and I didn't catch it.
There is no such word as "alot"! Go ahead, try to find it in the dictionary. You'll find "allot", but you won't find "alot".
I use alot alot. But not allot. Actually, it should be a lot.(okay, sorry, off-topic)
Daniel Plainview

West Hartford, CT

#32 May 13, 2008
I still say they should have flown Kalid El Amin in to make the speech.
Husky Poopla wrote:
Stefan

United States

#33 May 13, 2008
Dream BIG. Easier said than done, but it's worthy message.

Unfortunately dreaming BIG (and taking steps to realize those dreams) requires self confidence and taking risks. Kids today lack self confidence, and we have become such a risk adverse society. We are more willing to settle for mediocrity and the mundane if it means a stronger sense of safety and security.
Illiniev1

Grand Rapids, MI

#34 May 13, 2008
Daniel Plainview wrote:
They should have had Kalid El-Amin come and speak about his educational experiences at UCONN.
Yeah! probably majored in sex ed LMAO!
Husky Poopla

North Haven, CT

#35 May 14, 2008
First of all you are illiterate. Second, I clearly stated that I am a degree holding UConn alum, so academically I can hold my own. I think you need to be informed that UConn is an institution of higher education and not a gymnasium. Hiring "jock" speakers diminishes the academic credentials of the school. I am entitled to this opinion.
What wrote:
<quoted text>
You are obviously uninformed.
It is great that she is from UCONN, and a success in all aspects of her life. If she didn't have basketball I am certain she would be something. Betcha he IQ is higher than yours. Is this windy weather making people grouchy.
Lobo the Geek

Newington, CT

#36 May 14, 2008
Please, a horses head telling me to dream big...No thanxs...She's a six foot plus huge lady, only good at basketball...Give me a break...Suck up to cry baby Geno...One more thing, Tennessee won the women's basketball championship, again...A back to back and a bely to belly!!!
Class of 08

Washington, DC

#37 May 22, 2008
Husky Poopla wrote:
FYI, Rebecca Lobo was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa, the country's oldest and most prestigious undergraduate honors society, during her senior year at UConn. She clearly excelled at more than basketball during her college career. What are you, a Tennessee fan?
Old Guy

Hebron, CT

#38 May 22, 2008
bonzo wrote:
dream big and when ya cant find a job in connecticut and get stuck paying high, fuel,heating oil grocery, and tax bills ya can CRY BIG!!
CT is not a place to dream about a good life. It is not that nice of a place, it is expensive beyond belief and getting worse, jobs are not very plentiful and most are poor paying and do not afford any kind of "quality of life". I am thankful that I am close to retirement (If I can avoid the impending layoffs/firings). If I had to do it over again I would have never come to this overrated, overpriced, boring as a corpse place. Good luck to the grads. It is a shame how pathetic CT has become especially for those between 23 and 34. For those who disagree with my statement, take off the rose colored glasses and see CT for what it really is.
Funny

Hebron, CT

#39 May 22, 2008
Class of 08 wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI, Rebecca Lobo was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa, the country's oldest and most prestigious undergraduate honors society, during her senior year at UConn. She clearly excelled at more than basketball during her college career. What are you, a Tennessee fan?
I am a Phi Beta Kappa from Tennessee. I have a brother who is Phi Beta Kappa from WVU and another from Pittsburgh. Yes, they have Phi Beta Kappa at other schools. Oh, yeah, my sister was a Rhodes Scholar from UVA. All excellent schools, in outstanding towns and they have athletics as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connecticut Huskies Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2016 Rio Olympics: Team USA Unveils Women's Bas... May 11 Ivyawe 2
News UConn women's basketball team will make 11th tr... May 11 Ivyawe 1
News Remarks by the President Honoring the 2016 NCAA... May 10 Ivyawe 1
News UConn women ranked No. 1 for first time since 2004 (Dec '07) Apr '16 Samuels Furnace Man 17
News Former UConn Player Pleads Guilty -- Courant.com (Oct '07) Mar '16 Fart news 24
News Dominican's Deysha Smith-Jenkins Will Run Track... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Coach K 1
News Houston shows some liftoff for Huskies (Jan '08) Mar '12 Jay 4
More from around the web