Former Huskies Sympathize With Delle ...

Former Huskies Sympathize With Delle Donne

There are 73 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jun 9, 2008, titled Former Huskies Sympathize With Delle Donne. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Back home in Wilmington, Del., Elena Delle Donne, just 18 years old, has apparently reached an emotional crossroad, one that will require time, patience and the support of her family and friends to resolve.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
DONALD

San Antonio, TX

#1 Jun 9, 2008
This kid should not be given a free educaton at uconn. time to move on and get a replacement player. there are 2 many good players out there to baby sit this one. Bye Bye baby your off the team. stay home with your mommie
MoronDetector

Bristol, CT

#2 Jun 9, 2008
You're one!
Rick

Yorktown Heights, NY

#3 Jun 9, 2008
Yes she is only 18 but so are most of the rest of the freshmen at UConn, If after only two days she has "issues" it doesn't look good. I wish her well.
M Jodi Rell

East Hartford, CT

#5 Jun 9, 2008
Lisa, move the Delle Donne family to Vernon so Elena can feel at home. What do you think,$750k for the house? Bond it.
Remember me in '10.
Alumni

United States

#6 Jun 9, 2008
Spoken like true a Tenn. fan....
DONALD wrote:
This kid should not be given a free educaton at uconn. time to move on and get a replacement player. there are 2 many good players out there to baby sit this one. Bye Bye baby your off the team. stay home with your mommie

“Shawnzo”

Since: Mar 07

Norfolk, MA

#7 Jun 9, 2008
I can't imagine the tranistion and pressure these young kids are up against. Yes, it's a honor to play for UNCONN and be a part of the UCONN nation. But every kid is different, and passion and talent in basketball aside, every freshman has transition issues and if you're a little less mature or really close to your family, it exponentially makes the transition tougher. Give the kid a break..she's just a kid!
DICK COTE

Monroe, CT

#8 Jun 9, 2008
Yes she is just a kid &
obviously a very conflicted
one. Please let us all step
back and give her the time
she needs to face this.And
should she decide to come
back,that would be great.
Should she chose to go in a different direction,fine.

After all, it is HER life

Rick

Windsor, CT

#9 Jun 9, 2008
I think Ernie should have said, "Sure, honey, you can come home. Stay as long as you need to ... stay ALL WEEKEND if necesary. But then you're going back to Connecticut."

Sure, growing up is tough. Not growing up is tougher.
Beacon

Farmington, CT

#10 Jun 9, 2008
I hope she comes back.
Kenny

Nashville, TN

#11 Jun 9, 2008
Rick wrote:
I think Ernie should have said, "Sure, honey, you can come home. Stay as long as you need to ... stay ALL WEEKEND if necesary. But then you're going back to Connecticut."
Sounds like what my dad said to me 21 years ago when I was at UConn.
Kenny

Nashville, TN

#12 Jun 9, 2008
I would love to see her play at UConn and become apart of the UConn family. But if her heart is not in it, I can understand and I hope that she finds a situation that works for her and helps her grow. She is a bright person and will pull through. Good luck EDD in whatever you do.
mother of three

United States

#13 Jun 9, 2008
Rick wrote:
I'm in total agreement with this one. Kids get homesick - parents need to make them tough it out.
Jake

Newington, CT

#14 Jun 9, 2008
If she can't stand being away from home then UCONN should cut her loose and get someone else.
Marcus - MD

Derwood, MD

#15 Jun 9, 2008
She's not the only freshman at UConn, or any other institution, that packed her bags and went home. But this one has the Horde following her and idiots like Dumb Donald (first post) making her out to be inhuman. Fact is, if the kid's heart's not in it, she'll make the decision and do something else. It's quite simple. And it's good she's taking the time now to evaluate herself, not a week before tip-off. Good luck to her but we all know the Geno Locomotive will depart with or without the kid.
Well

Manchester, CT

#16 Jun 9, 2008
There are sooo many things that nobody here or I know. All you people care about is making her come here and play great and win games. You could care less about her other than that. He might go home, get more mentally prepared and come back. Maybe she never had a coach yell at her that bad and maybe Geno does. It's different and some people have a hard time with change.

I bet she will be back. My guess is most people here who say tough, suck it up and get here now probably would have the same problems but mask it by acting like idiots here. No surprise really.
Tenn Wrecker

Southbury, CT

#17 Jun 9, 2008
Can not guess what Patti paid for this job.
WATCH- This KID will be wearing orange.. goes with her hair..
Steve

Lexington, KY

#18 Jun 9, 2008
Maybe she realized she made a mistake and she didn't want to play for a cheater...or a disrespectful smartass....or maybe she didn't get a chance to tour the espn studios?
Common sense

West Hartford, CT

#19 Jun 9, 2008
Isn't college supposed to start in September?
dewcooljohn

South Windsor, CT

#20 Jun 9, 2008
Better now then later. At least Geno will know what steps he may need to take before the season starts. It will also give him the time to offer someone else the vacated schlorship if she does not return.Good luck to her if she doesn't return.
Sam

United States

#21 Jun 9, 2008
The only reason this is a story is because she's a basketball player. There are probably thousands of kids who go through this each year. Give her some time and she'll be fine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connecticut Huskies Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2016 Rio Olympics: Team USA Unveils Women's Bas... (May '16) May '16 Ivyawe 2
News UConn women's basketball team will make 11th tr... (May '16) May '16 Ivyawe 1
News Remarks by the President Honoring the 2016 NCAA... (May '16) May '16 Ivyawe 1
News UConn women ranked No. 1 for first time since 2004 (Dec '07) Apr '16 Samuels Furnace Man 17
News Former UConn Player Pleads Guilty -- Courant.com (Oct '07) Mar '16 Fart news 24
News Dominican's Deysha Smith-Jenkins Will Run Track... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Coach K 1
News Houston shows some liftoff for Huskies (Jan '08) Mar '12 Jay 4
More from around the web