UConn Women Advance To Final Four -- ...

UConn Women Advance To Final Four -- Basketball, University of ...

There are 52 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Apr 2, 2008, titled UConn Women Advance To Final Four -- Basketball, University of .... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Their four seniors had never been to the Final Four; no big deal to most, but a major void for a program that has won five national championships and tends to measure its success by its April games.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Wallingford, CT

#2 Apr 2, 2008
After their last game when Tina and Renee went down it looked like the team was going to be in trouble. The first half slow start by UConn was not a good sign and one was left to feel that they'd be going home with Rutgers advancing. Effort and determination proved many assumptions wrong and the Huskie women demonstrated the will to win. This was as exciting as it gets and depicts the popularity of women's basketball here in Connecticut as well as most of the rest of the country.
Uconn08

Willimantic, CT

#3 Apr 2, 2008
William if you care so much why don't you start a campaign? You are ALWAYS posting here, so something tells me that you really care. Huh, admit it, instead of pretending to spit. Your true colors for UConn show through your words. You didn't watch? So you need to post here? hahahah, you are either a liar or in a mental institution. BTW, there were over 4,000 people at this game last night. Rutgers and UConn are many miles from NJ and CT... how any regulare folks have the time and the $$$ to fly to NC for a game?
GO UCONN!
Eddy Merckx

Woodbridge, CT

#4 Apr 2, 2008
Hey willie boy you watched because you cared, other wise you would have not watched, and I'll bet you kept track of the whole game.... you are the biggest closet women's basketball fan in the state, come on now have the fortitude to open the door and step out of the closet, it may be a bit scary for you at first but no harm will come to you, you would be among people of the same ilk, and you could openly have fun and enjoy the spectacle. till then I guess you will have to be a women's basketball peeping tom, watching through the cracks, so what ever floats your boat there I guess...

GO UCONN !!!!!!!!!!
Retired Floridian

Largo, FL

#5 Apr 2, 2008
Our first chance to see the UCONN ladies in Florida (USF) was in 2006 when Tina was a freshman on the team. We thought that we were going to be the only two UCONN fans. Outside of the building were people with large banners for UCONN .... for a minute we thought we were in Connecticut. There were many children and adults wearing UCONN uniforms. The stadium was two thirds full of UCONN fans. We will go to Tampa to try and get tickets from fans that their team didn't make it to the Final Four. We are so proud of the UCONN ladies. They worked so hard and deserve to win it all !!
manateemo

AOL

#6 Apr 2, 2008
Just think if Tenneessee had to play one of the other two seeds (all of their losses incl rutgers) Tenn would have to buy their tickets at the finals. they need to get on their knees and thank the timer at the rutgers game and the selection committee (probably both chaired by Summits husband)
rwja

Niantic, CT

#7 Apr 2, 2008
Women's basketball played on the NCAA Division I level is every bit as exciting as thier mens counterpart is. All you had to do was tune-in and watch last nights Uconn vs Rutgers game to realize that. Next time watch more than "1 minute" William Howard Taft, if you really want to see how the womens game is played on such a high level. Unfortunately, I do agree with you that the womens game is not appreciated the way it should be in other parts of the country like it is here in Connecticut. But that just means that we fans here are way ahead of the curve when it comes to knowing a good thing. Congrats, Huskies on getting back to the Final Four. Especially you seniors! I'll be watching Sunday.
Andrew

West Jordan, UT

#8 Apr 2, 2008
Mr. Taft is the one being laughed at. If you don 't like the game, why post your comments. Go play bocce. Read some stats on the growing interest in the women's game. People like Taft probably still think women should be at home baking bread. Hey pal, you should come out here to Utah and join one of those polygamist groups in southern Utah...they keep their women folk under thumb.

It was a great game and lots of fun for the rest of us.
Anti-Connecticut

Salem, CT

#9 Apr 2, 2008
The UConn women and Geno Auriemma are a point of pride in Connecticut. I think these women are outstanding students, athletes, citizens, and role models. I have been a fan of theirs since 1995 and they have consistently turned out successful, and highly respectable graduates from their athletic program.
GO UCONN!!
Anti-Connecticut

Salem, CT

#10 Apr 2, 2008
Eddy Merckx wrote:
Hey willie boy you watched because you cared, other wise you would have not watched, and I'll bet you kept track of the whole game.... you are the biggest closet women's basketball fan in the state, come on now have the fortitude to open the door and step out of the closet, it may be a bit scary for you at first but no harm will come to you, you would be among people of the same ilk, and you could openly have fun and enjoy the spectacle. till then I guess you will have to be a women's basketball peeping tom, watching through the cracks, so what ever floats your boat there I guess...
GO UCONN !!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much for this response. This was much kinder with fewer profanities than the response that I was crafting in my head. You get the Tact Award for today. GOLD STAR*
Lori

Mount Sherman, KY

#11 Apr 2, 2008
Kudos to Ketia Swanier, who showed the senior leadership when our team needed it most. Swanier is one of my favorite players and it was great to see her get the recognition she deserves for her heart and efforts. Also, Montgomery should be commended for her efforts despite a poor shooting night. She never quit and that payed off in the end. Way to go Lady Huskies!!!!!!!!!!
William Howard Taft

East Hartford, CT

#12 Apr 2, 2008
4,000 fans at an elite 8 game is a disgrace.
Uconn08 wrote:
William if you care so much why don't you start a campaign? You are ALWAYS posting here, so something tells me that you really care. Huh, admit it, instead of pretending to spit. Your true colors for UConn show through your words. You didn't watch? So you need to post here? hahahah, you are either a liar or in a mental institution. BTW, there were over 4,000 people at this game last night. Rutgers and UConn are many miles from NJ and CT... how any regulare folks have the time and the $$$ to fly to NC for a game?
GO UCONN!
Lori

Mount Sherman, KY

#13 Apr 2, 2008
William Howard Taft wrote:
I will admit that I watched 1 minute of the game last night. I wasn't sure if I was watching a regular season game or a game that involved two teams trying to advance to the final four. The arena was half empty, which proves my point that nobody cares about women's basketball everywhere else in the country besides Connecticut. People laugh at Connecticut fans because people take this seriously.
Why are you even on this site....
William Howard Taft

East Hartford, CT

#15 Apr 2, 2008
Andrew, I'm not sure if your married or not, but if you are, I'm sure you aren't wearing the pants in that relationship. Yahhhhhhhhhh, women's basketball.
Andrew wrote:
Mr. Taft is the one being laughed at. If you don 't like the game, why post your comments. Go play bocce. Read some stats on the growing interest in the women's game. People like Taft probably still think women should be at home baking bread. Hey pal, you should come out here to Utah and join one of those polygamist groups in southern Utah...they keep their women folk under thumb.
It was a great game and lots of fun for the rest of us.
BEACON FALLS

Farmington, CT

#16 Apr 2, 2008
It's strange, but when UConn was down by 14 I still thought they would win. There was no way Rutgers could keep up that defensive pressure for 40 minutes and it was a matter of time when UConn's shots would fall. I think UConn put a lot of pressure on Rutgers in the 2nd half and it payed big.
Geez

Hartford, CT

#17 Apr 2, 2008
Andrew wrote:
Mr. Taft is the one being laughed at. If you don 't like the game, why post your comments. Go play bocce. Read some stats on the growing interest in the women's game. People like Taft probably still think women should be at home baking bread. Hey pal, you should come out here to Utah and join one of those polygamist groups in southern Utah...they keep their women folk under thumb.
It was a great game and lots of fun for the rest of us.
He was also all over the UHart women's comment board recently. Let's face it. You pretend to hate that which you love, but doesn't love you back. Exhibit A: WHT and women's basketball.(Or possibly, just women.)
jesse

Oxford, CT

#18 Apr 2, 2008
rwja wrote:
Women's basketball played on the NCAA Division I level is every bit as exciting as thier mens counterpart is. All you had to do was tune-in and watch last nights Uconn vs Rutgers game to realize that. Next time watch more than "1 minute" William Howard Taft, if you really want to see how the womens game is played on such a high level. Unfortunately, I do agree with you that the womens game is not appreciated the way it should be in other parts of the country like it is here in Connecticut. But that just means that we fans here are way ahead of the curve when it comes to knowing a good thing. Congrats, Huskies on getting back to the Final Four. Especially you seniors! I'll be watching Sunday.
You're delusional-if women's BB is so equal, how come it's not on CBS? How come it's not on a weekend? Face it, Ct. women's fans are ahead of the curve only in their zealous advocacy of a sport, not appreciated by the VAST majority of hoop fans.

Reality check time for you.
Recruiterdad

Piscataway, NJ

#19 Apr 2, 2008
The UCONN fans are some of the best in the country and have been cordial to Rutgers in their defeat last night but you are an absolute A** by your reference to them. What a jerk. Good luck to UCONN and their quest for another NCAA title. Go Big Esst!
William Howard Taft

East Hartford, CT

#20 Apr 2, 2008
Here's a blog that makes some sense.
jesse wrote:
<quoted text>You're delusional-if women's BB is so equal, how come it's not on CBS? How come it's not on a weekend? Face it, Ct. women's fans are ahead of the curve only in their zealous advocacy of a sport, not appreciated by the VAST majority of hoop fans.
Reality check time for you.
William Howard Taft

East Hartford, CT

#21 Apr 2, 2008
Lets be serious now. Is the University of Hartford Women's basketball relevant in the sports world? Come on.
Geez wrote:
<quoted text>
He was also all over the UHart women's comment board recently. Let's face it. You pretend to hate that which you love, but doesn't love you back. Exhibit A: WHT and women's basketball.(Or possibly, just women.)
wow

Pryor, OK

#22 Apr 2, 2008
wow

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connecticut Huskies Women's Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UConn women ranked No. 1 for first time since 2004 (Dec '07) Apr 6 Samuels Furnace Man 17
News Former UConn Player Pleads Guilty -- Courant.com (Oct '07) Mar '16 Fart news 24
News Dominican's Deysha Smith-Jenkins Will Run Track... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Coach K 1
News Houston shows some liftoff for Huskies (Jan '08) Mar '12 Jay 4
News UConn puts secondary violation to rest (Mar '08) Feb '12 America Gentleman... 7
News Prison for former UConn center (Feb '08) Oct '11 Do not believe Idaho 4
Diamond DeShields (Dec '10) Dec '10 ATL Baller 1
More from around the web