Horizon denies it's a 1-bid NCAA league

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

ESPN2's "First Take" is devoting unprecedented television exposure to Butler basketball.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
FCC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

While I'm happy for Butler and the added (plus deserved TV exposure), how many programs can ESPN put on the air that have sportswriters screaming at each other?

Do sportswriters scream at each other when they're in press boxes and courtside seats?

I remember when when ESPN covered sports.

Aside from that, and from a non-Butler fan, go Bulldogs! You play in America's bext basketball arena.

(Now I sound like I should be on ESPN)
Lets go Hoosiers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

There is some good basketball being played in the conference? What? I know they know each other really well, but that applies to every conference, not just the Horizon. I dont care how good Cleveland St. knows you. They were 7-5 coming into conference play and now they are 6-0 in conference!!!! They lost to some terrible teams out of conference, so how do you explain a team like being on top? You cant.

You obviously have to think Butler is still getting in because they ARE a good team and they should stick in the rankings all year, but the Horizon is not more than a two team NCAA bid conference. ESPN has it right. It should only be a one bid conference each year. That is because Butler should win it every year because they are by far the best program. The only other way for two teams to get in would be like last year when Butler got upset in the Tournament final. Granted some of these teams are usually better than they are this year, but not a lot better.
Jerry

Kokomo, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

FCC wrote:
I remember when when ESPN covered sports. Aside from that, and from a non-Butler fan, go Bulldogs! You play in America's bext basketball arena.
Amazingly great place to watch a game. That building is like a time capsule.
slipperyrock

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Butler should get into the tournament. If they take care of business they will. It's not mandatory that they win the conference tournament. The Big Ten and SEC will not have as many schools in this year, so that opens up a few slots. The Atlantic 10 has 3 schools that probably deserve to be in. The MAC and PAC10, may have more than normal slections. It will be close, just take care of business
IPS graduates 52 percent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

I love how people discredit the Horizon League. Right now the conference is 10th in the RPI. As for the teams, they currently have 5 teams in the RPI top 100. Butler is 20, Cleveland State is 56, and Valpo is 60, Wright State is 79 and Wisconsin – Green Bay is 99.

For comparison sake Conference USA has 2!!! Yes, that’s right 2 teams in the top 100 RPI.

And to the poster who said that Cleveland State lost to only bad teams? What?!? According to whom? They lost to George Mason (12-5, rpi 59), Georgia Southern (10-5, rpi 67), Cal State Northridge (12-3, rpi 66) Ohio State (12-5, rpi 24) and Kent State (12-3, rpi 35).

Let’s not forget Valpo who is currently 11-5 and has three conference wins on the road. Also worth noting is that 4 of Valpo’s 5 defeats have come against top 20 competition. They lost to #1 North Carolina,#12 Butler,#16 Vanderbilt, and #17 Wisconsin.
Old Roy

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Butler will get in to the tournament and the Horizon league will most likely get two bids in the big dance and two in the NIT. The NCAA needs to open up more slots in the tournament to reflect the changing times. 64 teams doesn't cut it anymore with the talent spread across the country. More games for March Madness, who would complain?
Bill the Cat

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Talk is cheap. The HL needs to prove what is saying.
short memory huh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Bill the Cat wrote:

And Bill, so are your writing skills. "The HL needs to prove what is saying." Did you proof read this, before you posted it, or do your little cat paws just flit away on the keyboard? What you were trying to say is "The HL needs to prove what it is saying." Speaking of cheap, quit asking me for the hundred dollars you loaned me a year ago. Quit being so cheap yourself!
TheDude

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

It still amazes me how Butler has seemingly breezed through its tough non-conference schedule and preseason tournament opponents, but always stumbles to mediocre teams like Wright State and Cleveland.

Those are terrible losses no matter how you spin it.

Butler needs to switch to the A-10, and they need to kick out a few teams while they're at it... Fordham, Duquense, La Salle, St B, etc.
Chad

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Bill the Cat wrote:
Do you mean like the BigTen putting 6 teams in the tourney only to have four lose in the first round every year ? Is that the kind of proof you are looking for.
ACC NC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

TheDude wrote:
It still amazes me how Butler has seemingly breezed through its tough non-conference schedule and preseason tournament opponents, but always stumbles to mediocre teams like Wright State and Cleveland.
Those are terrible losses no matter how you spin it.
Butler needs to switch to the A-10, and they need to kick out a few teams while they're at it... Fordham, Duquense, La Salle, St B, etc.
"Dude", as an expert on basketball which network do you work for?
ESPN,CBS, or Fox as a former GM laid off auto worker.......HELLO
Mike

Myrtle Beach, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Cleveland State has also beaten a ACC team (Florida State) and a Big East team (South Florida) this season. Those guys aren't a joke.

The Horizon League also outperforms expectations the most of any conference in the nation during the NCAA. What other conference can boast as many tournament wins as a lower seed?
HoosierHusker

Covington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Cleveland What? State leads the below the horizon league. Yea it's a 1 bid league. Butler deserves to drop out of the top 25.
Cru Jones

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Butler's white dudes again barely beat a no-name school again tonight.

Butler maybe in top 200 - but not top 25 at ALL.
Basketball Guru

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Butler's "white dudes?" Dude.. cut it out. Butler went to the Sweet 16 last year. How did the Hoosiers do?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cleveland State University NCAA Discussions

Search the Cleveland State University NCAA Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Schedule a turnoff for some OSU fans | The Colu... (Dec '09) Dec '09 Xavier39 28
Men's Basketball: Schedule a turnoff for some O... (Dec '09) Dec '09 PDN 1
Cleveland State upsets No. 4 seed Wake Forest (Mar '09) Mar '09 Sport Person 1
Cleveland State beats up Loyola (Feb '09) Feb '09 Well played 1
Vikings, Bulldogs counting on defense to determ... (Jan '09) Jan '09 ffhry 1
Butler wins with last-second 3 (Dec '08) Dec '08 hmmmm 1
Peddy's 31 not enough for Raider women (Jul '08) Jul '08 Back it Up 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••