School lifts ban on gay teen's shirt

School lifts ban on gay teen's shirt

There are 7 comments on the news.cincinnati.com story from May 21, 2012, titled School lifts ban on gay teen's shirt. In it, news.cincinnati.com reports that:

For at least one day, a Waynesville teenager can go to school wearing a T-shirt with the slogan “Jesus Is Not A Homophobe.” Waynesville High School in Warren County agreed Wednesday to lift its ban on the shirt so Maverick Couch can wear it on April 20 to show support for the Day of Silence, a protest against the bullying of gay students. The agreement resolves a major dispute between school officials and Couch, but it does not end the case. The school did not agree to allow the shirt on other days, and Couch’s lawyers say he should be permitted to wear it to school any time.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.cincinnati.com.

Christsharian Law

Philadelphia, PA

#1 May 21, 2012
The evilgelicals will response by wearing t shirts that say "Jesus IS a homophobe."

FaFoxy

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#2 May 21, 2012
The school is violating this student's First Amendment RIGHTS.

What is so infuriating about cases like these, is that the schools should be TEACHING STUDENTS ABOUT THE FIRST AMENDMENT AND THE RIGHTS IT PROTECTS, NOT VIOLATING THEM !

The kid should sue, and I hope he wins 10 million dollars in damages, and retires a happy, young millionaire. This is the ONLY way these idiot homophobes are going to get the message !

I read about a stupid teacher who forbade a young girl from wearing a crucifix in class. What is wrong with these people ?! And these are the people who teach children ???!!!
Christsharian Law

Philadelphia, PA

#3 May 21, 2012
The evilgelicals will respond by wearing t shirts that say "Jesus IS a homophobe."

Jesus....

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#4 May 22, 2012
Some good news for a change.

FaFoxy

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#5 May 22, 2012
These teachers and administrators should be sued far more often than they are. This is apparently the ONLY way that they are going to learn that they can't violate an American cizen's RIGHT without their being consequences.

They frequently justify their illegal and unconstitutional acts by using the all-inclusive phrase: "It's disruptive". They use that ridiculous phrase to ban ANYTHING that they don't like for ANY REASON. I read a story awhile back where they banned a youn girl from wearing a crucifix because, once again,they claimed "it was disrputive". They are supposed to be TEACHING about the First Amendment, NOT violating it !

Students have been suspended, or disciplined in other ways for a hairstyle a teacher didn't like, a t-shirt, a teacher didn't like, a necklace a teacher didn't like, a breast cancer awareness pn a teaher diodn't like. The list is endless. While students DO have FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS in school, teachers and administrators do NOT have a right t band things simly because the do not "like them".

SUE THEM ALL ! Apparently, that is the ONLY way they are going to learn anything !
Rainbow Kid News Update

Alpharetta, GA

#6 May 22, 2012
We are commenting the older news article where the school board allowed Maverick to wear his shirt for only one day
++++++++++
NEWS UPDATE
++++++++++
On May 21, the Federal Judge ordered the school board to allow Maverick to wear his shirt anytime he wants to
The Judge also ordered the school board to pay $20,000.00 in damages and court costs
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/22/gay-...

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#7 May 22, 2012
"School officials later told Couch the shirt violated rules against clothing that is “indecent or sexual in nature.”" My next question for said officials would be, how in what you're trying to pass off as your right mind does that even make the least bit of sense? "School officials" should be held personally and financially responsible when they get this stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Cincinnati NCAA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cincinnati Greets East Carolina on Tuesday at 7... (Jan '15) Jan '15 badbob 1
News Emerald Coast Classic 2014: Teams, Schedule, Li... (Nov '14) Nov '14 badbob 1
News Nippert Stadium Renovation Gallery - August 30,... (Sep '14) Sep '14 new 3
News Reed Armagost Is A Bearcat (Jul '14) Jul '14 Gregory martin 1
News Ross Trail Is A Bearcat (Jun '14) Jun '14 guest 4
News NCAA allows Ball St transfer to play immediately (Jun '14) Jun '14 Robert Batman 1
News Inability To Finish Ends Bearcats Season (Mar '14) Mar '14 Cary blog 2
More from around the web