Rollins basketball coach Tom Klusman goes after victory No. 500

Full story: Orlando Sentinel
He doesn't holler and howl. He doesn't grimace and grumble. He doesn't stew and stomp. Full Story
BobbyT

Kissimmee, FL

#1 Jan 25, 2008
Thanks for this great article recognizing one of the true jewels of Central Florida. Tom Klusman is a class person as well as a great coach. His dedication to Rollins, his players and his community is very special and not nearly as recognized and appreciated in the Orlando area as it should be.

Through his basketball camps, he has taught two generations of young kids that sports can be fun.

At Rollins, he has mentored many young men who have gone on to great heights in the business world.

Central Florida is truly lucky that he never felt the urge to move to a bigger school because there is no doubt he has the coaching ability.

He has won almost 500 games at a school that does not bend the rules to allow good athletes to walk through the doors without being able to cut it academically. To have graduated all but three players in 28 years is remarkable. And, his team had a 3.0 GPA this last semester. How many other top 10 basketball programs at any level can say that?

It is sad that the Sentinel has chosen to dramatically reduce their coverage of Rollins athletics over the last few years. Student-athletes at Rollins represent all that is good about college athletics, yet the Sentinel ignores their exploits (which have included many conference, regional and national titles), in favor of more coverage about spoiled professional athletes who we already see too much about through television and other national media outlets.

The Sentinel keeps fighting to stay relevant, but if they would just focus more on local stuff (like Rollins, Stetson, and high school sports), they could maintain an important niche and thus keep the interest of local readers.

Congrats to our Coach K for approaching 500 wins. It sure would be great for it to happen at Florida Southern.
Tar Pit

Washington, DC

#2 Jan 25, 2008
As a long time Tars fan I can say that Coach K is great. I wish I could say that the school gives him the support that he deserves.

Coach K gets great fan support from ths students, the players love him, and the students love the players. It is unfortunate that the school does not embrace Coach K, the players, the fans, and basketball as much as they should. There is something special in the Alfond Sports Center when the Tars hit the court.
Barb

Douglasville, GA

#3 Jan 26, 2008
Some big named schools missed out over the years by not hiring someone like Tom Klusman!
jimmy d

Fairport, NY

#4 Mar 18, 2008
I love Tom Klusman and all he has done for Rollins
but most of the 500 wins have come against inferior schools. Rollins is notorious for playing an extremly weak non-conference schedule and then going .500 in conference play.

Tom Klusman is a great coach at the Division 2 level. However as a coach at the next level, it would be scary to see what would happen. He's right where he needs to be for the remainder of his carrer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cincinnati Bearcats NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Emerald Coast Classic 2014: Teams, Schedule, Li... Nov 28 badbob 1
NCAA allows Ball St transfer to play immediately (Jun '14) Jun '14 Robert Batman 1
Inability To Finish Ends Bearcats Season (Mar '14) Mar '14 Cary blog 2
Harvard Loss No Cause For A Referendum On Mick ... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Mark Lewis 1
Doc: Kilpatrick's progress is off the court (Feb '14) Feb '14 bearcats4 1
College teams to sport sleeves, camo (Mar '13) Mar '13 NorCal Native 7
Louisville wins as No. 1; No. 6 Syracuse up next (Jan '13) Jan '13 Bradley10 1
More from around the web