IU hoops target chooses West Virginia

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Indiana University lost a highly sought basketball recruit when Kevin Jones picked West Virginia this afternoon.
Comments
1 - 20 of 43 Comments Last updated Nov 17, 2007
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Huggins

Mundelein, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Yeah, he may develop them, but how many of Cincy's players ever graduated? Zero.

Yes, IU has fallen some recently, but not nearly as bad as Cincy's players under Huggins. No players in that program ever graduated from that school...not that this recruit cares most likely, but still...Zero???
IU Bball Fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Best of luck to the boy. I am sorry to see him go somewhere other than IU, but Coach Huggins should be able to get the most out of him.
Graduate

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Graduate? Graduate? He wants to make millions playing basketball,not play for a cheater, graduate, and make $40,000/year being a customer service rep. Who cares if they graduate. One rookie contract will secure them for life. How many of Sampson's players are making the money in the NBA?? Exactly
Boiler Nation

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

He must have wanted to be eligible for post season play.
Carmel Resident

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Huggins wrote:
Yeah, he may develop them, but how many of Cincy's players ever graduated? Zero.
Yes, IU has fallen some recently, but not nearly as bad as Cincy's players under Huggins. No players in that program ever graduated from that school...not that this recruit cares most likely, but still...Zero???
You think Sampson graduates kids?
Hoosier Fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Yeah, if he doesn't turn them into thugs first. Good Luck Kevin!
jack

Greensburg, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

any chance Bob Knight would come back?
J-school Hoosier

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

"Kevin wasn't really interested in going to class or winning a championship," Gerard Jones told NYCHoops.net . "Kevin thought that playing for Hugs would not only give him the best chance of preparing for the NBA style of play, but also in preparing for the NBA lifestyle itself."

Mr. Jones added, "Even though Kevin hopes to be a one-n-done type of college player, potential NCAA sanctions against IU were still a factor."

Screw Jones and any other New York recruit we don't get because of Senderoff's absence. Let's start looking at some solid Indiana (the state) kids who are interested in sticking around for 3-4 years as STUDENT athletes!
Fran Romero

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Yes, I believe IU graduates their athletes. Coach Sampson was not my choice for the IU coaching job but I love my school and I don't think the student-athletes should be punished for his transgressions. I hope all of the Indiana schools have an exciting season. I truly do. I live among the Big Blue and Cardinal fans and I am outnumbered in my loyalty to the Big Ten. That's okay.
No Blood for Pastel

Mansfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

J-school Hoosier wrote:
"Kevin wasn't really interested in going to class or winning a championship," Gerard Jones told NYCHoops.net . "Kevin thought that playing for Hugs would not only give him the best chance of preparing for the NBA style of play, but also in preparing for the NBA lifestyle itself."
Mr. Jones added, "Even though Kevin hopes to be a one-n-done type of college player, potential NCAA sanctions against IU were still a factor."
Screw Jones and any other New York recruit we don't get because of Senderoff's absence. Let's start looking at some solid Indiana (the state) kids who are interested in sticking around for 3-4 years as STUDENT athletes!
Link please? Or was this witless "satire"?
Blueblood

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

You PUkes wish IU would get a post-season ban, but it won't happen.

While IU is dancing, PUke U will be lucky to get an at large bid.

Huggins is a thug coach with a MUCH worse record of transgression than Sampson, who made a few extra phone calls.
Can You Imagine

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

The number of phone calls between Sampson and "Hugs" to this kid? This recruit alone could probably require an investigation. Huggins is about 100x's dirtier than Sampson could ever dream of.
J-school Hoosier

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

No Blood for Pastel wrote:
<quoted text>
Link please? Or was this witless "satire"?
It was a sarcastic remark. For witlessness, read your own posts, Jerk.

I'm sure you can dig up the entire history of your "witty" rhetoric, given your advanced knowledge of the Internet, ISPs, etc, blah...blah...

We know you love the attention you get on these Star message boards, especially since you probably are starved for it while you live in your parents' basement. Just be advised that your act has been played out.

If anything is witless, it's that anyone (myself included) even bothers to dignify your posts with responses.
Elvan

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Jones doesn't sound like the kind of kid longtime Hoosier fans are accustomed to seeing wear the uniform. Not sure much was lost there. And this, sadly, is the kind of kids that Coach Scofflaw has a history of bringing into the program. Non-students, by and large, and I'm still waiting for someone to list a few of the players that Scofflaw coached at Oklahoma that made a living playing basketball in the NBA.?? Anyone?

And yeh, the irony of the boy picking Huggins over Sampson is just about enough to cause me to laugh at this whole sad, sorry mess.
undisputed truth

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

jack wrote:
Who would want him?
Gary

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

jack wrote:
HOPE NOT!!!!!!!!
slipperyrock

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

J-school Hoosier wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you can dig up the entire history of your "witty" rhetoric, given your advanced knowledge of the Internet, ISPs, etc, blah...blah...
We know you love the attention you get on these Star message boards, especially since you probably are starved for it while you live in your parents' basement. Just be advised that your act has been played out.
If anything is witless, it's that anyone (myself included) even bothers to dignify your posts with responses.
Whoa, there boy. Pastel is or does get a little emotional. What are you accomplishing with your remarks? The article was about a high senior and his decision to attend WVU rater than IU. We'll just have to wait to see if this young man can actually make a difference. Will you remember his name a year from now?
No Blood for Pastel

Mansfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

J-school Hoosier wrote:
<quoted text>
Awwwwww.....did ums get your feewings hurt?

As far as sarcasm goes, you're in no danger of going to Hollywood to write comedy anytime soon.
RHillindy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Good thing that he choose West Virginia. If “Bob Huggins does the best job with ‘tweeners’ then this guy has long ways to go and you know that won't be to class!
82 IU Grad

Flowery Branch, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2007

Blueblood wrote:
Huggins is a thug coach with a MUCH worse record of transgression than Sampson, who made a few extra phone calls.
This is true, but at least Cincy had the b**ls to fire Huggins instead of our gutless athletic director or school president.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cincinnati Bearcats NCAA Basketball Discussions

Search the Cincinnati Bearcats NCAA Basketball Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NCAA allows Ball St transfer to play immediately Jun '14 Robert Batman 1
Inability To Finish Ends Bearcats Season Mar '14 Cary blog 2
Harvard Loss No Cause For A Referendum On Mick ... Mar '14 Mark Lewis 1
Doc: Kilpatrick's progress is off the court Feb '14 bearcats4 1
College teams to sport sleeves, camo (Mar '13) Mar '13 NorCal Native 7
Louisville wins as No. 1; No. 6 Syracuse up next (Jan '13) Jan '13 Bradley10 1
Cincinnati adds 7-footer David Nyarsuk (Aug '12) Aug '12 aaaa 1
•••
•••