New York recruit picks Hoosiers

New York recruit picks Hoosiers

There are 39 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 30, 2007, titled New York recruit picks Hoosiers. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The current storm surrounding allegations of recruiting improprieties at Indiana University hasn't stopped the Hoosiers' New York pipeline.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Great

East Lansing, MI

#1 Oct 30, 2007
Who's going to coach him?
One Ringy Dingy

Pryor, OK

#2 Oct 30, 2007
A great cell package blew the other schools away.
NCAA is watching

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Oct 30, 2007
In the case of every new committment, IU should disclose whether the recruit was the object of one or more of the illegal phone calls. After all the purpose of the limitations on phone calls is to prevent the violater from obtaining a recruiting advantage.

Did IU get an advantage or attempt to get an advantage from calling this kid?

Sampson and Oklahoma DID get such an advantage at Oklahoma. One of those kids enrolled and is playing there now.
Too much logic

Fort Wayne, IN

#4 Oct 30, 2007
IU must still have plenty of space under Cellphone Sanctions salary cap!
Michael

Bloomington, IN

#5 Oct 30, 2007
The Ice Miller report says that NONE of the violatiosn gave IU ANY benefit towards recruiting. They were all secondary infractions.
Get off Sampson's back and get a life.
Lets go Hoosiers

United States

#6 Oct 30, 2007
So much for it hurting recruiting huh?

Word is this kid will be ranked in the top 100 during his senior season next year and maybe higher.

FYI.......hoosiernation.com has just released what it is deeming a "statement on the Ice Miller Report". All of the infractions were reported as "secondary" being that they "represented isolated incidents and provided little, if any, recruiting advantage or extra benefits".

Greenspan himself has extended Sampson's recruiting restrictions for another year, taken away a scholy, fined him $500K and took away one of his coaches (Senderoff) for a year. The Ice Miller report concluded that "Sampson did not act deliberately to violate the sanctions".

I also looked at Ice Miller's website involving NCAA Infractions and Appeals and they have an excellent track record of receiving very little extra punishment from the NCAA especially if the member schools take action against themselves on the level that IU has done in this specific case. It is widely assumed that Ice Miller counseled Greenspan on what extra sanctions to impose to limit how far the NCAA had grounds to go here.

Just some info I thought I would share.
IU Alum 06

Champaign, IL

#7 Oct 30, 2007
NCAA is watching wrote:
In the case of every new committment, IU should disclose whether the recruit was the object of one or more of the illegal phone calls. After all the purpose of the limitations on phone calls is to prevent the violater from obtaining a recruiting advantage.
Did IU get an advantage or attempt to get an advantage from calling this kid?
Sampson and Oklahoma DID get such an advantage at Oklahoma. One of those kids enrolled and is playing there now.
That's what made it a great risk, the fact he actually landed somebody. Sounds like a good businessman to me, and it's not like Kelley goes above and beyond to preach business ethics by any stretch of the imagination. Trust me, I graduated there just last year.
Shrug

Bloomington, IN

#8 Oct 30, 2007
NCAA is watching wrote:
In the case of every new committment, IU should disclose whether the recruit was the object of one or more of the illegal phone calls. After all the purpose of the limitations on phone calls is to prevent the violater from obtaining a recruiting advantage.
Did IU get an advantage or attempt to get an advantage from calling this kid?
Sampson and Oklahoma DID get such an advantage at Oklahoma. One of those kids enrolled and is playing there now.
Is this required by NCAA? If not, why "should" they--because you say so?
IU Grad 1990

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Oct 30, 2007
Just win, baby. And beat the snot out of Purdue!
HoosierBrian

Bloomington, IN

#10 Oct 30, 2007
Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
So much for it hurting recruiting huh?
Word is this kid will be ranked in the top 100 during his senior season next year and maybe higher.
FYI.......hoosiernation.com has just released what it is deeming a "statement on the Ice Miller Report". All of the infractions were reported as "secondary" being that they "represented isolated incidents and provided little, if any, recruiting advantage or extra benefits".
Greenspan himself has extended Sampson's recruiting restrictions for another year, taken away a scholy, fined him $500K and took away one of his coaches (Senderoff) for a year. The Ice Miller report concluded that "Sampson did not act deliberately to violate the sanctions".
I also looked at Ice Miller's website involving NCAA Infractions and Appeals and they have an excellent track record of receiving very little extra punishment from the NCAA especially if the member schools take action against themselves on the level that IU has done in this specific case. It is widely assumed that Ice Miller counseled Greenspan on what extra sanctions to impose to limit how far the NCAA had grounds to go here.
Just some info I thought I would share.
Either most of them can't read or just choose not too. They just continue to spew forth nonsense..... making all kinds of dire predictions and hate filled attacks without knowing ANY of the FACTS. Now the report prepared and forwarded to the NCAA is out. From the ICE MILLER report:

In its conclusion, the report states that investigators "considered the fact that with so few impermissible calls involving Sampson out of the thousands of recruiting calls made from May 2006 through May 2007, this could not have been a purposeful plan to circumvent the sanction."

Predictably, now the haters will attack ICE MILLER, and it's integrity. Do a little research on ICE MILLER. They have an excellent track record. But it won't matter to the haters.

After the NCAA levies no further sanctions the haters will attack the NCAA. It is so predictable.
IU Grad 1990

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Oct 30, 2007
HoosierBrian wrote:
<quoted text>
Either most of them can't read or just choose not too. They just continue to spew forth nonsense..... making all kinds of dire predictions and hate filled attacks without knowing ANY of the FACTS. Now the report prepared and forwarded to the NCAA is out. From the ICE MILLER report:
In its conclusion, the report states that investigators "considered the fact that with so few impermissible calls involving Sampson out of the thousands of recruiting calls made from May 2006 through May 2007, this could not have been a purposeful plan to circumvent the sanction."
Predictably, now the haters will attack ICE MILLER, and it's integrity. Do a little research on ICE MILLER. They have an excellent track record. But it won't matter to the haters.
After the NCAA levies no further sanctions the haters will attack the NCAA. It is so predictable.
I hate "haters."
IU Alum

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Oct 30, 2007
I like how we now have a "New York Pipeline." Things are only going to get better in beautiful B-Town!
IU Alum

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Oct 30, 2007
Another point I forgot to make, don't forget about McCallum Jr. who is in the class of '10 and probably will end up being top 5 in the country.
Tom Brady

Pryor, OK

#14 Oct 30, 2007
Coach Sampson collects top talent like I collect Super Bowl rings.
Mr Brand

Englewood, CO

#15 Oct 30, 2007
How do you take away 500k if Sampson never had it? The NCAA should fine him money that he currently has. KS has tainted IU's program. Those 5 banners in Assembly are collecting a lot of dust these days.
Seton Hall fan

Pryor, OK

#16 Oct 30, 2007
I wish we had a "New York Pipeline." Unfortunately all of the best NYC players are going out of state to places like North Carolina, Kansas, and now Indiana.
Recruit

El Dorado Hills, CA

#17 Oct 30, 2007
Thats all IU does is LAND BIG Players. Good luck ever winning the Big Ten again Purdue. IU should hang 5 more banners over the next 10-12 years. Tommy like banners
dell15

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Oct 30, 2007
It cracks me up to think that a coach working too hard to recruit players the right way (read here: not bribing them) is a black spot to the program, but Bobby Knight isn't. I hate to break it to the rednecks out there, but the guy is known for throwing a chair on the court and assaulting a student, not the 1976 season.

Way to go Sampson with the strong recruiting - and those of us with a full set of teeth support you.
Sampson calling

Carmel, IN

#20 Oct 30, 2007
1) The IU NY pipeline just resigned. 2) The kid is in a prep school in Ohio, and 3) someone better look at the cancelled checks to that prep school. I bet Sampson's fingerprints are all over them.

Oh and I love this quote from rivals.com

"Coach Matt Painter landed a five-man recruiting class that could be one of the best in school history. It features four four-star prospects and was ranked seventh nationally by Rivals.com , ahead of the classes at such schools as Duke, Indiana, Memphis, UCLA, Villanova and Kentucky"
Red Barber

Greenwood, IN

#21 Oct 30, 2007
Too much logic wrote:
IU must still have plenty of space under Cellphone Sanctions salary cap!
Nothing but jealousy speaking from all of you Turds. Isn't it GREAT !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cincinnati Bearcats NCAA Basketball Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cincinnati Greets East Carolina on Tuesday at 7... Jan '15 badbob 1
News Emerald Coast Classic 2014: Teams, Schedule, Li... (Nov '14) Nov '14 badbob 1
News NCAA allows Ball St transfer to play immediately (Jun '14) Jun '14 Robert Batman 1
News Inability To Finish Ends Bearcats Season (Mar '14) Mar '14 Cary blog 2
News Harvard Loss No Cause For A Referendum On Mick ... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Mark Lewis 1
News Doc: Kilpatrick's progress is off the court (Feb '14) Feb '14 bearcats4 1
News College teams to sport sleeves, camo (Mar '13) Mar '13 NorCal Native 7
More from around the web